Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. sonick

sonick Senior member

Around my parts this is completely false.

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I got to disagree too, there are certainly a demographic that buys it only for the name.

3. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I also disagree.

4. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Senior member

I see maybe four Ferraris on a semi-regular basis. One is owned by a rapper, the others are white guys between 40 and 60

5. jet

jet Persian Bro

In newport beach if you don't have at bare minimum any amg 63 you ain't shit. The old people just want the top of the line even if they'll never hit the throttle.

Also the new cls is leagues nicer than the old one though it is just ok overall, those hre wheels look shit.

Also f430 is a goddam 4x4 shit is so high I'd put it on the ground and wear my cap backward to piss off jealous dbags with car control skills they wish they had.

Also 135 is not very fast.

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

lots of housewives in Tokyo drive the E55/63T wagons or various AMGs that aren't the roadsters, like C's and sometimes S classes rarely. Really funny because Americans on the MB forums go crazy about the idea of the AMG wagons and they really are quite rare (like double digit production per year in US spec) but over here if you were out for a day you'd see double digits of them per day. White used to be the color of choice but I think they've gone back to black in recent years. There's a couple supermarkets up my street where all the rich housewives line up outside in their cars and put the blinkers on while they run in to buy something; it's almost invariably a lineup of Mercedes wagons. Have hardly ever seen women driving BMW M cars here, I guess a) because they don't make a wagon of the M3 or M5 (didn't import the M5T here) and b) getting into an SMG car might require a different mentality than a posh MB with an auto.

7. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I really love "hot" station wagons, sleepers. In high school I almost bought a 63 Ford Falcon Wagon to march my 63 Ford Falcon Convertible. Wanted to make matching hot rods... But I would love a AMG Wagon.

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

The trophy wives around here (Santa Barbara) drive AMG mobiles of various sizes and the higher powered larger BMWs (V8 5s) mostly. 911 S and Panamera S and Turbos are next. I think I've seen 2 drive an M5 (E39, E60). Old, white wrinkley dudes drive the Ferraris, 7 series, and S classes. //M cars are like upscale Civics in terms of the demographics.

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

10. sonick

sonick Senior member

Pretty much the same here. Everybody who drives AMG or M's are mostly 50+ year old Chinese ladies or 20 year old Chinese children. They don't give a shit that it's an AMG or M. They just care that it's the most expensive of that particular line just to have the status of owning one. I don't know how much either costs nowadays, but a base 7 series would be less impressive than a fully loaded and modded M3 for the same price.

11. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

from what i've seen
    bmw M, and audi S are more enthusiast cars = people know what theyre buying into
    audi RS ..... especially.... theyre also incredibly rare
    mbz AMG .... a dime a dozen. there's just so many variants of it, they seem to be less "special" in terms of a niche trim. these are driven by tons of women and men who buy it because they can

12. JuyLe

JuyLe Senior member

Audi's S don't seem to me like enthusiast cars, they fall in the same category as AMG's. RS' maybe, especially the sleepers.

But most expensive, recent, widely available powerful cars are owned by people who either want to show that they can afford it or old rich dudes slightly into cars. If you romanticize a bit, I think that actual car enthusiast drive different cars, whether they are rarer, more track oriented (cars with compromises) or cheaper because if you're a car freak chances are that you have time to do your research and work on your car as opposed to a 80hrs/week working salarymen driving his M5 to work at 6am.

Last edited: May 9, 2012

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I think you guys are counting out the simple fact that the high-spec cars like AMGs, M cars, etc just look cool and most anyone can appreciate that, and if they have the kind of money to buy one, they do. My old parents don't care about cars but can go to a lot and appreciate the car with the big factory rims and brakes, aero kit, nice exhaust note, etc. The cars are impressive just standing still oft times, especially when sitting next to the lower spec versions of the same bodies.

AMGs seem pretty easy to burble around in at low speeds, that E55 I drove just plods down the road pretty casually and without drama - they're just like a lot of the high-powered German cars with lots of torquey push, except that when you really give it your right foot, the thing truly flies if it can get traction. I don't know if it has that little button under the gas pedal that engages WOT like automatic BMWs have when you get all the way to the carpet, the E55 was so fast and there wasn't any room to find out.

14. EMY

EMY Senior member

When I was living in the area, I would always see old guys right cornering hard from PCH to Newport Coast, then flooring it up to their Pelican Hill mansion.

BTW, for some reason I keep imagining you as the Persian dude who drives the matte white widebody e92 M3 around the area.

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I saw a couple of gray-haired wrinkley dudes driving red Ferraris in town last weekend, one behind the other. The cars looked sharp, and drew lots of attention, but those dudes looked out of place in them. I don't want to be that guy when I grow old; I'd buy something more stately for my senior years.