• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d rather have setback.

Our New England colonial was built in 1754. I'm sure it had miles of setback at one time but a bunch of assholes decided to build a bunch of houses over the last 250 years!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
goody abigail must've cast a hex on the property

17C43DBB-DD9A-4B20-9956-84FB97587EE8.gif

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our New England colonial was built in 1754. I'm sure it had miles of setback at one time but a bunch of assholes decided to build a bunch of houses over the last 250 years!
Yeah,I had a 1782 colonial for a while. I miss that house everyday. Property was subdivided a few times and the lot shrank a bunch. Incredible house though

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
goody abigail must've cast a hex on the property

Not so far off. When we moved into our home, we found a headstone in our basement. Not attached to anything, just sitting there. William Hibbs died in 1912 so I researched the name online and found that he's actually buried a town over from us (at least I hope he's buried there). Apparently it wasn't uncommon for people to be interred and the headstone made later and eventually mounted at the cemetery. I like to think that the stone just never made it to gravesite.

Even stranger, our lot was originally an acre-ish but the former owners sold off half of it to a developer. The land was all woods but contained an old fieldstone foundation. When they were excavating they uncovered three headstones that he gave to the local historical society.

So any time we hear a strange sound, we figure it's Hibbs.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This weekend I got new tires on the Outback. I have kept it Bridgestone Dueler's which were the OEM tire but the guy at the dealer said these Yokohama tires are great. Pretty much the same cost so what the hell. Well on the drive home I thought they sounded a little louder and I keep having that feeling every time I drive it out. I know my ears are not getting better with age but these tires sound loud. How do those people with knobby tires live with themselves is a basic tire is this loud?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This weekend I got new tires on the Outback. I have kept it Bridgestone Dueler's which were the OEM tire but the guy at the dealer said these Yokohama tires are great. Pretty much the same cost so what the hell. Well on the drive home I thought they sounded a little louder and I keep having that feeling every time I drive it out. I know my ears are not getting better with age but these tires sound loud. How do those people with knobby tires live with themselves is a basic tire is this loud?

That’s why God gave us hard rock and car stereos.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's one reason I am loyal to Michelin. Every model I've tried from all season SUV tires to the PS4S performance tire, they always performed well and seemed quieter than whatever OEM tire came equipped on my vehicles.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry to hear that. I found the tires that arrive OEM on a lot of cars, even when they are from respected brands like Michelin, Bridgestone, Pirelli etc, they usually aren't their best performing tires in their class. The weird part is they are rarely any cheaper than some of the better tires from those brands (maybe they get an unbelievable wholesale price). It's not fool proof, but I usually check out Tirerack's surveys, especially for daily drivers to check treadwear, noise, handling, and if its an all season tire - how it handles in snow and ice. I used to put much better Bridgestones or Pirellis on my old Subies and it was usually about they same price as the mediocre OEM models that the car arrived wearing. Sadly, at a lot of dealerships the service advisors are just pushing whatever they have in stock, and they don't really care since they get a commission on the parts they sell. They'd rather sell you the tires today than have you think about it, do some research and possibly get better tires elsewhere for less $.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Which ones, the Geolanders? Those "soft-AT" tires are all the rage on the Subarus these days.

I'm thinking about a set in that genre for my wife's car, but I wrote off the Geolanders as it seems like they are clearly louder than the others in the segment.

The Falken Wildpeak AT Trail (not the A/T3W) is on the shortlist as they are supposed to be quieter and better mannered on the road.
But there's a new Nokian tire, the Outpost APT that I am tempted by. It is cheaper AND significantly lighter as it uses an aramid lining rather than just doubling up for a 2-ply conventional like the Falkens...but I am waiting to see more reviews that give direct noise comparisons.

But yeah, hard to avoid the noise when you get knobby. So many people here are driving trucks with legit A/T tires that just make a horrible roaring sound...don't know how they stand it. Not to mention, a lot of our roads are loud to begin with because they get ripped apart in the winter by people driving with studded tires.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly, I think I just want an even-softer-AT tire.

I have no problem with the traction on my wife's tires...the only reason I am looking to step up to the soft-AT tire is for the increased puncture/sidewall protection. I can already drive on dirt roads with jagged rocks--I'd just like to be able to do it with a reduced fear of flats. I don't need enhanced winter or mud performance (have dedicated snow tires), and the AWD does fine with OEM tires on gravel.

If you took a good road tire--same tread, same compound--and just put an Aramid or other strong material in the sidewall, I'd be all over that. Just give me quiet stable highway manners and I'll even accept a penalty in acceleration/MPG/ride harshness from extra weight/stiffness.

But if @jbarwick has no fear of jagged rocks and isn't softroading, I'd venture a guess that the geolander is not the right tire and a solid all season would be fine...but easy to see why the dealer would suggest it since it is the "cool" thing to do now and standard on the "Wilderness Edition"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics