• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is this different from the normal crazy depreciation from a normal default. (Example - you default on a $50k financed car that is only worth $35k 9 months later) Dont banks cook this into their financing and risk? Isnt the default/repo better because all car prices are way up?
People typically finance 60 months, prices won’t be elevated artificially for the entire time period. People typically default after a couple years. So in 2-3 years you owe $40k on a 3 year old GTI, when a new 2024 GTI retails for $42-$45k. Even if the bank repos it, the used value is likely $25-30k.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m thinking of selling a car to take advantage of the market. Also, it’s a pain to maintain, insure, fix, run, etc seven cars, so i think the herd needs to be culled a bit.

My Mclaren dealer actually told me they wanted to buy my 570s, but they couldn’t get their **** together, and then started playing games with bouncing me around to different “managers”, so i ghosted them

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking of selling a car to take advantage of the market. Also, it’s a pain to maintain, insure, fix, run, etc seven cars, so i think the herd needs to be culled a bit.

My Mclaren dealer actually told me they wanted to buy my 570s, but they couldn’t get their **** together, and then started playing games with bouncing me around to different “managers”, so i ghosted them
Way to play hard to get. Makes them want you even more.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of them actually took two weeks to do an appraisal (the car was with them for service for one of those weeks) and came back with this proposal - can you tell me how much you would want for the car? I mean…now you want me to do the appraisal??

on a different topic, are there such things as SF-approved driving shoes? I’m not looking for the driving mocs/loafers - those are horrendously uncomfortable for walking, something more of a sneaker type. Something that can be worn respectably outside the car, so not fire-marsupialant Sparco boots or Pumas with Ferrari logos all over them either…

i think the best I got are margom soled type stuff like CP, but they’re still a bit too stiff

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of them actually took two weeks to do an appraisal (the car was with them for service for one of those weeks) and came back with this proposal - can you tell me how much you would want for the car? I mean…now you want me to do the appraisal??
$1M obviously

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

on a different topic, are there such things as SF-approved driving shoes? I’m not looking for the driving mocs/loafers - those are horrendously uncomfortable for walking, something more of a sneaker type. Something that can be worn respectably outside the car, so not fire-******ant Sparco boots or Pumas with Ferrari logos all over them either…

i think the best I got are margom soled type stuff like CP, but they’re still a bit too stiff

Piloti might have some suitable footwear

Or maybe something from Adidas/Porsche design collaborations

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
on a different topic, are there such things as SF-approved driving shoes? I’m not looking for the driving mocs/loafers - those are horrendously uncomfortable for walking, something more of a sneaker type. Something that can be worn respectably outside the car, so not fire-******ant Sparco boots or Pumas with Ferrari logos all over them either…

I just wear Converse All-stars in the low top version so my ankle can move freely. Heel-toe downshifts work fine with them. I've never been a fan of the (regular-looking) Pumas: they're very narrow so it's hard for me to heel-toe, and their soles are slippery on both my BMW and Porsche pedals, which makes the task even more difficult.

RLPL opera pumps also work great for heel-toe unlike my more normal lace-up nice shoes, probably because they allow for more ankle articulation.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Adidas used to have a line of sneakers with Goodyear soles which were great for driving. Any slim sneaker with a sole which allows to retain some sensitivity should be fine.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slightly indulged son and heir is getting a murdered-out preowned Grand Cherokee for Christmas. Would have been all about a Golf GTI myself at his age but preferences change I guess. Initial ask was an FJ Cruiser, but the market for those is just ridiculous and the Jeep has all the modern teen driver (hopefully) tech lifesavers -- auto braking, lane following, smart cruise control etc.

IMG_0403.jpeg

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Santoni for amg has some acceptable sneakers in the line (and some hideous ones).

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slightly indulged son and heir is getting a murdered-out preowned Grand Cherokee for Christmas. Would have been all about a Golf GTI myself at his age but preferences change I guess. Initial ask was an FJ Cruiser, but the market for those is just ridiculous and the Jeep has all the modern teen driver (hopefully) tech lifesavers -- auto braking, lane following, smart cruise control etc.

View attachment 1722331

Is this the Jeep era with the funky transmission selector where you can’t tell it’s in park? I just remember that celebrity having one and ran over himself having thought he put the car in neutral

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads