• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokencycle

Reaction score
While Ford patented the technology, I wouldn't expect it to go into use the way the article implies

We tolerate ads in all kinds of products because they are free (and thus we are really the product for the advertiser).

I don't think people making such a large purchase will appreciate it, and they have other options.

Plus based on my reading, they won't be able to monitize it. How will Ford make money from the billboard ad guy by increasing the driver's "click rate"?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While Ford patented the technology, I wouldn't expect it to go into use the way the article implies

We tolerate ads in all kinds of products because they are free (and thus we are really the product for the advertiser).

I don't think people making such a large purchase will appreciate it, and they have other options.

Plus based on my reading, they won't be able to monitize it. How will Ford make money from the billboard ad guy by increasing the driver's "click rate"?
Unless they are giving away cars for free, I don't see this working. Maybe it's like the old kindle. The device was $20 less expensive if you opt into ads.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I see money by not offering a subscription as well.

When the car hits 10K or 20K or whatever ... throw them a "system generated" alert that will also note a special 25% off discount at oil place XYZ "we found this discount, would you like to use it?" when in reality Pep Boys or whatever paid Ford to push that to you.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go to Kelly Blue Book for a valuation and choose to alert local dealers. You will immediately have like 50 texts a day. The used car guys are thirsty.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
out of curiosity, just put my car in vroom, definitely better than I thought I have to say

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to Kelly Blue Book for a valuation and choose to alert local dealers. You will immediately have like 50 texts a day. The used car guys are thirsty.
KBB doesn’t have my car either. Probably because there’s only 125 of them in the US, there’s not enough data to provide an accurate valuation

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
out of curiosity, just put my car in vroom, definitely better than I thought I have to say

The carvana and vroom quote systems were incredible resources when I was searching for a used car. Great benchmark when negotiating with a dealer (closer you can get them to that trade-in number the better deal you know you're getting) and they flag accidents if carfax isn't readily available. Super low carvana value is a dead giveaway there is something negative somewhere in car's history and probably one to steer away from.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soooo I also looked at vroom.

The offer shocked me a bit at how high it was (about 2k more than I expected).

I could sell my current car, pay the difference (about 2k)in my current loan, buy the exact same car, newer model year, half as many miles, more features, with nothing down, and pay like 50$ more a month.

I am trying to figure out if I am going to do it. Selling a car like this has me a bit worried. Seems like they have incentive to simply change the offer once they have possession of my car

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics