• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Playing around with the configurator, Night Blue, Gentian Blue or Aventurine Green? Guy who owns a local coffee shop has a 992 in Aventurine. I really like the color.

gts_aur_x3.jpg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aventurine is indeed a gray-green. At least if Porsche is still using the AG they used on the 993’s, I haven’t seen it on a new car. Gentian is a truly special blue - very deep looking with different mica flakes. Night blue is to me nothing special, just a very dark almost midnight blue.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so Gentian Blue is more "electric" (as in it sparkle and brighter/louder)?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Car related, got this in my gmail all the time, but someone should tell BMW NA it's kind cheesy to advertise "buy 3 tires get 4th one free..."

edit: also right now seems kind late to advertise switch to winter tire...

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely. I liked the book when I read it. I just wasn't sure I wanted to see it on the big screen. See also: The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Nopenopenope.
To be fair, anything by Cormac McCarthy is guaranteed to be incredibly sad on film. But the Road was somehow even more devastating as a movie. Thy did a good job capturing the despair of the novel.
playing around with the configurator, Night Blue, Gentian Blue or Aventurine Green?
Aventurine Green is very distinctive, I dig it.
Car related, got this in my gmail all the time, but someone should tell BMW NA it's kind cheesy to advertise "buy 3 tires get 4th one free..."
I haven't had a BMW in a few years and I still get those emails it's hilarious

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
Bout to go look at a 2nd gen IS 350 ('08) for my girls first car soon. Anything to look out for?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Bout to go look at a 2nd gen IS 350 ('08) for my girls first car soon. Anything to look out for?
Just the regular stuff.
Engine:
-Mileage *has the timing belt been done?
-Accessory belts look okay?
-How does the coolant look, is it clean?
-While you are in the engine bay, check for anything out of place,leaks,and dried rubber hoses or cracked shock strut tops.

Outside:
-Look at it from many angles for evidence of repair work. pay attention to panel gaps. *repair work is almost always visible from at least one angle.
-Original wheels? have they been curbed?
-Good tires? or the cheapest possible?
-poke your head around and look for uneven wear. *for good alignment.
-Turn the car on, watch the exhaust while your girl gives it a few revs. Clean exhaust is to be expected.
-All the badges and emblems are clean?
-Are the headlights foggy/milky? *They are expensive to replace. Also no cracks in all the other lights. Make sure all the lights work.
- Grab the wheels and try to shake them,feel for clunkiness and wobbles.
-Look inderneath. All looks clean? no rust?
*exhaust probably has some rust,don't worry about that. just make sure all the important stuff looks good.

Inside:
-Try all the switches, all the lights, and all the buttons. *Fuel door,trunk,seat positions,etc. all of them.
-Original radio? Aftermarket ? Does it all work perfectly? *Listen to the radio to confirm, bring a CD to try.
-Seats are clean? Drivers seat side bolstering is ok?
-Steering wheel and gear lever still have some grip to them and aren't smoothed.
-No warning lights?

If all this checks out? You got a good car.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always change out everything in the engine bay that's supposed to be regularly maintained when buying 2nd hand. if the previous garage can show me they did the work on belts and such, and mine believes it ill still swap out all fluids. The out of pocket cost for that is 1 - 1,5k at most, but it buys peace of mind. And a reset of the maintenance schedule, for whatever that's worth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads