• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's true, but at least I can figure out why people find 100dB street cars obnoxious.

Let me parse this for you.

Porsche is predominantly famous for its sports cars. Sports cars are loud. That’s why it’s ironic for customers at a Porsche dealership to complain about loud sports cars.

That has nothing to do with whether there are good reasons to buy a Porsche SUV.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VHS players4 lyf

I was looking into buying another one just in case mine wears out and I was floored with how expensive they are on eBay. Even the cheap brands are approaching 4 bills. Luckily I still have a practically brand new Mitsubishi player and it's nice knowing I can sell it if I ever need extra funds. Right now it's worth about $500 in its condition which is just crazy I think. No Fast & Furious though, but I do have a pristine copy of Gone in 60 Seconds.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Porsche is predominantly famous for its sports cars. Sports cars are loud. That’s why it’s ironic for customers at a Porsche dealership to complain about loud sports cars.

But they weren't famous for loud cars...they were famous for sports car that you could daily drive. Porsches being very loud, is something of the last 10-15 years. If you drive an air cooled 911 or 930, or a 928 or 944 Turbo S, none of those were particularly loud cars. People daily drove those Porsches. The air cooled 911s have a distinctive engine sound...but they were not incredibly loud. And back then it wasn't purely about being loud, it was about the sounds the cars made. Ferraris and Lamborghinis were loud, but not 100 db, and it was more the sound track they provide. I know plenty of guys with nice sports cars, plenty are loud, but I don't know any that daily drive really loud cars...they all daily something else.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But they weren't famous for loud cars...they were famous for sports car that you could daily drive. Porsches being very loud, is something of the last 10-15 years. If you drive an air cooled 911 or 930, or a 928 or 944 Turbo S, none of those were particularly loud cars. People daily drove those Porsches. The air cooled 911s have a distinctive engine sound...but they were not incredibly loud. And back then it wasn't purely about being loud, it was about the sounds the cars made. Ferraris and Lamborghinis were loud, but not 100 db, and it was more the sound track they provide. I know plenty of guys with nice sports cars, plenty are loud, but I don't know any that daily drive really loud cars...they all daily something else.

Still one of my favorite Porsche driving videos and the sound is perfect, any louder and it would be too much for me.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is coming from someone who once wanted one of the loudest aftermarket exhausts on the market; the Tomei Expreme Ti. However emotions change when one has time to reflect and I am choosing this in its place. Hoping to place my order real soon, been talking to dealers recently.

Magnaflow

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think this is overly reductive on several fronts.

Yes, Porsche is known for daily-drivable sports cars. However, they are still loud compared to non-sports cars—say, a family sedan or an SUV.

Further, the air-cooled cars make all sorts of raspy, raucous noises that are muted in the water-cooled ones. Which is “louder”? Which is more livable day to day? Debatable.

Also, it depends on exactly which air-cooled Porsche you’re talking about. A 2.7 RS is pretty damned loud! And it is much less usable as a daily driver than a modern Porsche GT car. Generally, the motorsport models—regardless of era—are louder and less filtered.

Finally, don’t mistake my euphemistic tone with literally saying loud is better for the sake of being loud. Obviously, it’s the mechanical quality of the sound that matters. Volume amplifies the good and bad. On that note, I disagree that vintage necessarily sounds better than modern. No vintage, air-cooled engine spins to 9,000 rpm.

Regardless of era, the turbo cars don’t sound particularly interesting.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads