Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

i was talking about this one:
    [​IMG]

it looks nice but would get tiring to look at within a few weeks.

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I love black cars but damn it is hell to maintain. After a wash/wax, nothing beats it but after a drive shit is showing all the dirt and develops swirls marks so quickly.

3. jet

jet Persian Bro

If you want I can post my old wash routine on how to maintain a black car but it ain't easy and number one rule is don't ever let anyone wash it especially the dealer. If you look at it crooked it'll swirl up.

4. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Well it depends little on the age I think i'm only 25 so red is a nice touch. But on my next car I will go dark blue metallic I think. I love the new panamera aswell but it's way to expensive..

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I'd appreciate that, I just do the two bucket method and wash from top to bottom. Dry with an electric leaf blower and finish it off with mf towel and ultimate quick detailer. Been considering on investing on a foam gun though to make life much easier.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  6. jet

jet Persian Bro

You have the basic points, details are two mitts (only sheepskin) of course along with the two buckets, straight motions no circles, light pressure, loosen grime with a rinse first then foam it up, separate tools for wheels and you can use a waffle weave to dry though wet it up a little bit or quick detail on it for lube. I'll dig it up. Also a big key is wax not for shine but for ease of washing, I have a lot of theories on actual shampoo and benefits of wax. Don't get me started on polishing.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Also Jet, have you tried using Turtle Wax's Black Detailer? It's just like a regular detailer but has a black pigment (it'll turn your towel black so beware) and hides some of the swirl marks. It's pretty good for a quick clean if you already use a detailer anyways.

And thanks for those tips. Oh man, choices for polishes and waxes is insane. Just too many out there and most aren't good. I hate using clay bars on the car to prep it for polishing though, sadly it is necessary or else it is just a half ass job.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  8. jet

jet Persian Bro

Nah I don't really believe in any type of glaze or concealers, paint should be pure and that's that. Everyone thinks that wax makes a difference but it your car is properly polished wax adds about 5% more shine. It's all in the prep work.

When I had done my car years ago it was reflecting light like a motherfucker in the parking lot putting all other cars to shame. There is nothing better than a jet black car with no swirls, all you see is a black mirror when the sun hits it no haze or anything.

I also used to clay my glass and polish it with this one product then finally glass cleaner and people used to think my windows were down all the time :eek:

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I consider wax as mostly a layer of protection but it'll have to do since I can only do the clay/polish/wash once a year. I wish I could do it every 6 months though.

10. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Just bought a Dual Action machine for my first foray into properly caring for the paint. Check out Collinite #845 if you are waxing once a year, it is a very duarble wax/sealent that will help with a black car thourhg washes and quick detailers.

11. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

I have been thinking about putting a kit together so I could start detailing my cars. Does anyone have some good resources they want to share?

12. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

didnt we have a detailing thread on here some time back?

oh and just say no to those colored waxes.

13. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

The one I use isn't colored wax, it's a detailer strictly for black cars and I use it just like Mequiars Ultimate Quick Detailer. You know when there are some water spots or have some dirt you need to clean off right away, it helps on black cars because it does hide some of the swirl marks while cleaning it. It comes off next time you wash the car anyways so I really see no harm in it.

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Autogeek.net might be a good place to start. It's the one place that will have almost anything you need to take care of your car. Do some research on the products first though before ordering.