• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If memory serves there's a scene in the Richard Dreyfus/Danny DeVito move, Tin Men, where they're talking about how you can tell what year a Caddy is by the tailfins. The movie was set in the late 50s or early 60s.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Oh, I also just noticed that apparently I'm a German fanboi? ****, how did I end up with two Volvos?

?‍♂️

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BAWAHAHAHA! GM became the #1 domestic car seller by implementing planned obsolescence before WWII. One of the things that Volkswagen used to get the Beetle going was their marketing against it...back in the 60s.

And look how far that got Volkswagen today Pio. Dieselgate and Carbon Buildup nightmares. BTW: not that I needed any further proof, but German Fanboi missle locked go for bogey. Although you did throw us all a curveball when you bought a Sweded Bimmer

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
And look how far that got Volkswagen today Pio. Dieselgate and Carbon Buildup nightmares. BTW: not that I needed any further proof, but German Fanboi missle locked go for bogey. Although you did throw us all a curveball when you bought a Sweded Bimmer

Ad hoc rescue. Just admit you were talking out of your ass, or at the very least stop doubling down on wrong, and we can all move on.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ad hoc rescue. Just admit you were talking out of your ass, or at the very least stop doubling down on wrong, and we can all move on.

Oh, I also just noticed that apparently I'm a German fanboi? ****, how did I end up with two Volvos?

That was a generalization man, not directed at you...but since you mention it, I’ll add in persecution complex. Also weren’t you trying to get us to talk you off the ledge from buying a POS SL?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
That was a generalization man, not directed at you...but since you mention it, I’ll add in persecution complex. Also weren’t you trying to get us to talk you off the ledge from buying a POS SL?

Persecution complex? Yeah, I'm the one that got upset when it was pointed out the new Jeep product is likely to see some massive depreciation and started this whole tangent.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And diesel gate doesn't really fit the story...

Sure, there was some corporate malfeasance and they bought back a bunch of cars...but people were literally lining up and begging to buy the cars when they came back to market. Dealers were selling CPO TDIs as fast as they could get them around here.

Does't hurt that when people tested the "fixed" cars, the fix has actually marginally improved acceleration and only cost like 1mpg.

The diesels were fantastic cars (as long as you are into the diesel experience)...a corporate scandal doesn't change that or make them comparable to POS Chryslers.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Persecution complex? Yeah, I'm the one that got upset when it was pointed out the new Jeep product is likely to see some massive depreciation and started this whole tangent.

Quote a post where I praised anything from modern day Jeep and I’ll stop, because I can’t recall a time I claimed that. The CJ/YJ/TJ eras were long before the buyout, hence I consider them a completely different company & brand.

I am surprised though that I was able to hold your gaze for this long, don’t you have like 100 chess matches going on at the moment? How’s your Bishops looking?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And diesel gate doesn't really fit the story...

Sure, there was some corporate malfeasance and they bought back a bunch of cars...but people were literally lining up and begging to buy the cars when they came back to market. Dealers were selling CPO TDIs as fast as they could get them around here.

Does't hurt that when people tested the "fixed" cars, the fix has actually marginally improved acceleration and only cost like 1mpg.

The diesels were fantastic cars (as long as you are into the diesel experience)...a corporate scandal doesn't change that or make them comparable to POS Chryslers.

Dieselgate I do admit was a low blow. However the carbon buildup issues stemming from Direct Injection cannot be ignored.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Quote a post where I praised anything from modern day Jeep and I’ll stop, because I can’t recall a time I claimed that. The CJ/YJ/TJ eras were long before the buyout, hence I consider them a completely different company & brand.

I am surprised though that I was able to hold your gaze for this long, don’t you have like 100 chess matches going on at the moment? How’s your Bishops looking?

Awesome straw man then ad hom. You're going for the sweep of fallacies this morning! You stated you were born prior to the "era" of planned obsolescence and that is fantastically wrong to the point of hilarity to justify your old man POV of, "Things were better before."

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome straw man then ad hom. You're going for the sweep of fallacies this morning! You stated you were born prior to the "era" of planned obsolescence and that is fantastically wrong to the point of hilarity to justify your old man POV of, "Things were better before."

Ok so you’re not going to answer my question. Can we skip the pleasantries and end this mental chess game and just jump off the waterfall together?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you seriously referring to the new Wagoneer? I think you might want to schedule an appointment with your optometrist stat. Well at least you got the tangent part right, but the direction was completely wrong. I’m pretty much taking a giant **** on Jeeps head here

Personally I hate the new design and could care less if it fails. It’s just another fine example of failed reboots. Like the NSX or the Thunderbird. Even if the new “Supra” is currently doing well sales wise, it’s almost an insult calling it one based on the original. Let Classics live in the past, don’t bring them back only to taint their good name; and yes that even includes you Ferrari (GTO). Occasionally it does work though, and I am excited to see Ford’s success with the Bronco like they have successfully implemented on the Mustang continuously.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads