• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Driving something different can be so much fun, even if it doesn't cost the earth.
Good stuff man. :fonz:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Back when i was wrenching for work, I drove a LR Defender. -Hated it.
I did some work on a LR Discovery. - not too bad, but clearly a car that will spend a lot of time in the workshop.
Changed the clutch in a TJ Wrangler and drove it around. it was fun, and easy to work on. but not sure i'd own one.
Test drove a FJ Cruiser. liked it a lot. the mini rear doors make it family friendly, it sat at around 1,500 rpm at 60 kph. making it economical. Really a good 2nd car for a family, or daily for singles/couple.

In the 4WD segment, I'd want a Pajero or an Isuzu.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
5.5L V8 is a rock. I’d be more about the hard top mechanism than anything.

unless it’s the biturbo then not interested
It's the bi-turbo. I have to say the last two douchemobiles have had the bi-turbo and nary and issue.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No chance they had insurance. I think I’ve only ever once met someone who bought track day insurance.
Yea, I only know a few guys that have it. Luckily, an acquaintance who slid off the track in a 993, hit some kind of barrier and totaled it had track insurance. He had insurance money in 30 days. He was in a lower mileage 993 than what he had within 6 weeks.
I bought the single day track day policy through Hagerty for my 2 track days this year (next one is Monday). For the GTI it’s $150/day.

I’m new to these events and while my car isn’t a daily and I own it, $150 is cheap peace of mind for me. I’ll do 3-4 events/year. Next year I’ll look into a package for 4 track days and save a few bucks. Maybe down the road I'll skip it but for now, I'll stick with insurance.

A local guy I met at an event has a nicely set up GTI that he autocrosses and tracks. It’s not a daily and he owns it outright. He hit a wall at a Palmer Motorsports track day this month. It was the first time he skipped track day insurance.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did some work on a LR Discovery. - not too bad, but clearly a car that will spend a lot of time in the workshop.
I thought that was part of what made land rover work.

What's a better status symbol than an expensive car?

An expensive car that breaks, has high maintenance costs, and depreciates quickly. Owning one is just saying to the world "look how much money I have to throw away"... It is a design feature.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you’re cool with possibly writing off the entire car, then don’t get track insurance. If you push yourself or explore your limits at all on the track, you’re going to have some offs. And even if you take it easy, others will be going balls out. And those incidents will probably need insurance.

that said, in my observation, serious crashes are pretty rare (spins are very common but as long as there are runoffs and no aggressive bunching no metal gets bent). So that’s why some people just roll the dice, I guess

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What about liability... How does that work in the track?

It is one thing to send a GTI into a wall. It is a little different to send your GTI into someones 911.

Do they go through a process of assigning fault for a multi car accident? Or is the track more of an "enter at your own risk" scenario?

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought the v60 polestar engineered. Picking it up next weekend because I need to put the factory rims back on my M2. They gave me a ridiculously good trade-in (42k) and NYC doesn’t allow any dealer fees on top of a car.

It has 37 months left on the warranty and 45,000 miles. I can CPO it for $895 or buy the extended warranty for an unknown amount (at this time)

Also considering a tire and rim care package if it’s under $1000 because those tires are fairly low profile and expensive rims.34CE95B4-F4FE-4E2C-B33B-13FD6BD42286.jpeg29696CA1-339F-4517-8F25-EE72A6242597.jpeg5F0EE5B4-6831-47FE-967B-8BE0E27362C7.jpeg

Last edited:

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about liability... How does that work in the track?

It is one thing to send a GTI into a wall. It is a little different to send your GTI into someones 911.

Do they go through a process of assigning fault for a multi car accident? Or is the track more of an "enter at your own risk" scenario?
Enter at your own risk.

If you crash into someone else's car, your character is going to be tested real quick. Not to sound like a douche, but I prefer to avoid track days filled with kids and their Civics, because the reality is the majority of them will have no means to make me whole, should they cause a wreck and damage my car.

This is why I am very selective about the track day organizers I will run with, as well as why I will always run with the advanced group (despite my skill level placing me in the higher end of intermediate). The worst thing you can ever do is run in a beginner group, because the people in those groups are more likely to do stupid shit due to their inexperience/lack of situational awareness.

At the end of the day, there's no prize for first place and the guys I usually go with don't even care to time their laps because once you start chasing lap times, that's when you start to over drive and mistakes can and will happen.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought that was part of what made land rover work.

What's a better status symbol than an expensive car?

An expensive car that breaks, has high maintenance costs, and depreciates quickly. Owning one is just saying to the world "look how much money I have to throw away"... It is a design feature.
That fact alone might make me steer clear of owning a Land Rover, even if the older ones were more reliable, i wasn’t factoring in parts availability in the US. Considering LR never had an Assembly Plant here, that would seriously increase the running costs. I think I just changed my own mind and would probably choose a Toyota FJ40 or a Jeep Wrangler YJ or CJ instead, since both have US based manufacturing. I think the earliest Toyota plant in the US dates back to 1986, which was after the original FJ was discontinued. If I lived in Great Britain i would definitely choose a Series 3 or Defender though, because of production location & parts availability.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's