• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The answer was in the article - the ban is only on new car sales.

The way the environment is changing, there may not be anyone left in California to buy new cars in 15 years anyway, so I'm not sure this is a big deal. Florida has similar issues. With ever-worsening hurricane seasons and rising oceans, will you be able to buy a V-12 fan boat or will they all be electric in 15 years?
I did see that part. I should be more specific about what my questions are:

I looked up the number of cars in CA. There are 15 million. All that infrastructure we’ve been discussing for hundreds of pages - CA now has no choice but to have it. Not for all 15 million right away, but...what’s the plan?

As evidenced by the # of cars - almost everyone in CA needs a car. Except for like, San Francisco. What are the options for people who can’t afford the cheapest EV? It can’t be “used ICE” indefinitely...

I’m not against the spirit of the order. What i fear is the shit show that’s coming because once again, the People’s Republic thinks it can just ‘make it so’. My family still lives there and someday i might go back - - to answer your question, FL weather sucks and it materially gets worse every year. And I’m getting tired of it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Business plan: market to CA government charging stations for all EVs. Figure out a PPP (public/private partnership) and $$$.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also...could i just buy a car in AZ and drive it back? If so nvm

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, 15 years to transition, better get going on infrastructure...

Omega Male

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The free market is on the case, pinko!

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My pre-schooler is already on my ass about not having an electric car. Kid can identify most car brands and the primary questions are "how fast is it" and "is it electric." I suppose our someday going to be vintage v8 SUV and our wheezy Subaru haven't exactly endeared him to ICE vehicles.

The answer was in the article - the ban is only on new car sales.

The way the environment is changing, there may not be anyone left in California to buy new cars in 15 years anyway, so I'm not sure this is a big deal. Florida has similar issues. With ever-worsening hurricane seasons and rising oceans, will you be able to buy a V-12 fan boat or will they all be electric in 15 years?
You'll have to go with gas, swamp rats don't know how to fix electric engines

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm. Two current Outback owners have dissed their car since I went and test drove one...
And @gomestar has been singing the praises of his XC90. Whaddabout all that talk of the Telluride? I’d pick that any day over the Outback.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The free market is on the case, pinko!

aha SPAC so which PE is behind the scene then...

always feel like Cali wants big promise but do it in the I’m writing it done but not with a plan insight that will have to cost $$$ kind of way

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
And @gomestar has been singing the praises of his XC90. Whaddabout all that talk of the Telluride? I’d pick that any day over the Outback.
Everyone else is picking the Telluride too is the problem. Also looks like Subaru's money is way cheaper than Kia's. The Outback just has a stupid residual, as in over 60%, and cheap money. Also, after visiting the two dealerships, looks like the Subaru will have a far superior ownerships experience.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 4-year-old loves our GT3. Her and her little friends get into frequent, silly arguments over whose father has the faster car.

I cannot imagine her admonishing me over not driving something electric. But then, we live in NYC, not the People’s Republic of California.
I guess it's never too early to start fighting with friends over cars. I try to keep mine from talking to other kids about cars because I'm hoping to delay the consumerism as long as possible, particularly given all of the wealth in the bay area. As for the dig against CA, don't think NY is going to be any different. I wonder if anyone has done a simulation of what the street sounds of Manhattan would be like in a largely ICE-free future.

Hmmm. Two current Outback owners have dissed their car since I went and test drove one...
Do you think there is a connection between these things or are you just pointing out the coincidence?

I'm at the Subaru dealer now as I type this because I got the dreaded low oil warning, was due for an oil change and we are driving to southern california this weekend. Our outback is a great fit for our lifestyle and the right tool for the job but I have hated the engine from day one (and I'm sure I've mentioned it here previously). I knew it when I test drove but getting the V-6 came with a bunch of things I really didn't want like the electric tailgate and leather.

EDIT: Car seems to be fine, they didn't note anything unusual. Hopefully it doesn't start burning oil since my warranty is now up.

I did see that part. I should be more specific about what my questions are:

I looked up the number of cars in CA. There are 15 million. All that infrastructure we’ve been discussing for hundreds of pages - CA now has no choice but to have it. Not for all 15 million right away, but...what’s the plan?

As evidenced by the # of cars - almost everyone in CA needs a car. Except for like, San Francisco. What are the options for people who can’t afford the cheapest EV? It can’t be “used ICE” indefinitely...

I’m not against the spirit of the order. What i fear is the shit show that’s coming because once again, the People’s Republic thinks it can just ‘make it so’. My family still lives there and someday i might go back - - to answer your question, FL weather sucks and it materially gets worse every year. And I’m getting tired of it.
Don't get me wrong, there are challenges behind moving to a substantially electrified fleet. I think we ultimately will get there as a nation, but it's certainly non-trivial. I live in SF and can't imagine life without a car but I know some young people go without. The biggest problem I foresee with BEVs, particularly SF, is that lots of cars live outside. However, most of those cars either are rarely driven or are regularly drive and can be charged elsewhere.

In terms of affordability, as more and more production comes on line, that should take care of itself. You can already get used BEVs for a song, and I would expect there to continued to be a robust used car market which will eventually be predominantly BEV. BEVs have proven to be fairly robust and you get to avoid so many of the problems that old ICE powertrains have. The only question mark is whether the world is capable of producing batteries at scale given all of the resources required.

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Have fun with that.

Outback issues are known. solid family hauler.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you guys seen this cars and bids thing? Aka Doug Demuro’s fake bring a trailer...

I guess one of the selling points is that Doug will personally comment on your car to try to draw the bids. Which is funny to watch him struggle to say something insightful about SLK230’s and Infiniti J30’s.
Ha. I enjoy Doug's YouTube channel. I get why his review style is not everyone's thing, but I like watching him go over every little quick and feature he finds. I think he is at his best when he discusses older cars.

Not sure if his Cars and Bids side project will take off. I believe they are screening cars allowed on the site and he's only going to review certain ones.

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
The only F1 cars built for the road.

1991-2005 Acura NSX Buyer's Guide

1992 McLaren F1 - Overview - CarGurus

A Closer Look at The 2002 Ferrari F60 Enzo | Ferrari enzo, Dream cars bmw,  Ferrari

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's