• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
Wondering now. What new cars dudes backlashed on release back in the day ('50s and '60s)

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wondering now. What new cars dudes backlashed on release back in the day ('50s and '60s)
For quite a while, designs changed every year. It wasn’t until the early 70’s that designs hung around for more than a year or two. Same with engines. (At least in the US, euro/asian cars were just beginning to come to the US). It did allow for some crazy one offs like a 450hp Chevelle in 1969. I’m sure there was a lot of bitching on release day back then.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this is just an outdated opinion. The current-gen Camaro and Mustang are great sports cars. Not only are they relative bargains, but they offer unique, characterful driving experiences regardless of price. Drive a GT350 and than see if you think it’s just a meat-headed muscle car.

Does it matter what your office colleagues think when they don’t particularly know much about cars? I’m talking about what these cars are, not what random people think of them. Not sure why whether your secretary is impressed has anything to do with whether a sports car delivers on driving experience and performance.

If going by perception, than shouldn’t knowledgeable opinions matter more? Car journalists—both U.S. and European—have been heaping praise on the Mustang and Camaro for years as excellent sports cars, and not just “for the money”. Spend time on any of the Porsche or BMW enthusiast forums and you’ll find a lot of deep respect for the GT350 in particular. It has eaten into M2/M4 sales and people consider it as an option when looking at lower priced Porsches. Hell, it was on my list, too! Unlike BMW, Chevy and Ford are still doing right by enthusiasts.

Not worth debating style, as sports cars can be ugly too. But I happen to think both are pretty attractive, particularly the Mustang. Interiors are cheap feeling, sure, but what does that have to do with how sporty they are?

Sounds like you have a ton of enthusiast friends. Ask one of them if you can test out their GT350. Maybe that will change your view.

As I said, I haven't driven a Mustang in a while, but I drove a Camaro for 2 weeks last year. It's a muscle car. Big V8 engine, big car, great for straight line acceleration, and great for highway cruising, but not nimble and not great on winding back roads around me. It just felt too big and heavy to truly enjoy those roads the way one can in more nimble car.

Regarding perceptions, it seems I misunderstood what you wrote about perceptions overseas. I thought you were talking about in general...hence I bought up what I heard from people at the office when I had the Camaro. In addition, as I mentioned my friends from the Netherlands and Austria, are amazed by anything powered by a V8 engines, since they are so rare to see or drive in Europe. Most people drive little econoboxes, so that may affect how excited people are overseas when they get to drive something with a big V8.

Maybe a drive in a GT350 would change my opinion, but my experience with the Camaro did not.

Anyway, as for the new Z...I'm a bit disappointed by the design. I don't like the big open grill, and the back is a failure in my opinion. I've seen a few design comparisons of the new car next to the 240Z comparing the lines and curves they tried to use as styling cues, but it seems like a miss on many levels.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As I said, I haven't driven a Mustang in a while, but I drove a Camaro for 2 weeks last year. It's a muscle car. Big V8 engine, big car, great for straight line acceleration, and great for highway cruising, but not nimble and not great on winding back roads around me. It just felt too big and heavy to truly enjoy those roads the way one can in more nimble car.

Regarding perceptions, it seems I misunderstood what you wrote about perceptions overseas. I thought you were talking about in general...hence I bought up what I heard from people at the office when I had the Camaro. In addition, as I mentioned my friends from the Netherlands and Austria, are amazed by anything powered by a V8 engines, since they are so rare to see or drive in Europe. Most people drive little econoboxes, so that may affect how excited people are overseas when they get to drive something with a big V8.

Maybe a drive in a GT350 would change my opinion, but my experience with the Camaro did not.

Anyway, as for the new Z...I'm a bit disappointed by the design. I don't like the big open grill, and the back is a failure in my opinion. I've seen a few design comparisons of the new car next to the 240Z comparing the lines and curves they tried to use as styling cues, but it seems like a miss on many levels.

The new Z fails because of weird and bloated looking proportions. You can’t evoke the original in any meaningful way just by adding crease lines and surface shapes.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People will buy the new Z because Nissan will produce too many and have to offer discounts.

DubbyThaFerrgamoCZAR

Reaction score
And strictly because its a manual. Having it mated to Twin Turb 6 is just an added bonus.. Hardline facts is no one is gonna care about this cars looks in a couple years. We're gonna wanna see how it performs in Motorsport (D1/FORMULA Drift, Time Attack, Autocross etc. All the disciplines the Supra is partaking in now)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Drove an Outback Touring this morning. My biggest knock is the turbo lag. Pros are good visibility, comfy seats, like the cockpit (TWSS!) and the pricing.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drove an Outback Touring this morning. My biggest knock is the turbo lag. Pros are good visibility, comfy seats, like the cockpit (TWSS!) and the pricing.

Having not driven the turbo, I know the CVT is part of it as well. I went cheap and just got the 2.4. While on vacation last month I wanted to overtake on a 2 lane road and the power just wasn't there...it was terrible.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
And strictly because its a manual. Having it mated to Twin Turb 6 is just an added bonus.. Hardline facts is no one is gonna care about this cars looks in a couple years. We're gonna wanna see how it performs in Motorsport (D1/FORMULA Drift, Time Attack, Autocross etc. All the disciplines the Supra is partaking in now)
Being a Nissan? It's going to suck.
Sorry, I had an R33 Skyline (Still miss it) but that ****** was a waterbed on wheels.
- it would light the tires with 4 people and a trunk full of luggage tho.
Then switched to an Altezza (IS200) and the handling was so good i couldn't easily shake it.
-No power.

A 1JZ IS300 would easily be the best bargain build right now.

So why would rascals buy new?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Having not driven the turbo, I know the CVT is part of it as well. I went cheap and just got the 2.4. While on vacation last month I wanted to overtake on a 2 lane road and the power just wasn't there...it was terrible.
Oh no, it’s a CVT? Those are horrible. Enough to cross it off any list of mine

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm not crossing it off the list yet. If I can get an X5 or XC90 that I'm happy with that's where I'm headed. I just want a few fallback decisions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics