• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no desire to do a 0-60 test (OK maybe a little) due in part to the potential wear on the clutch. It feels great right now, no slipping at all. I stick to on-ramp fun for the most part. Installed the clutch stop this morning (much better now) and I notice it feels exactly the same as stock until about 3300-3400 RPM then it just pulls so hard. Fun little car.

It has a little clunk on the front driver side in 1st & 2nd. It goes away once you get moving. Former owner said it was the H&R camber plate that was replaced under warranty so he gave me the replacement. I'll have my guy take a look this week. Wheels are a little rough cosmetically but seem fine structurally. It is solid as a rock on the highway, not even a slight vibration. However 19" wheels sure don't have much sidewall, that's taking some time to grow accustomed to.

brokencycle

Reaction score
They are? Not being sarcastic, I’d really like to know. My perception is that it’s hard to get the new car you want because of lack of inventory.
You are normally looking at cars that are not generally for the price sensitive. Pleb cars have had crazy incentives for awhile.

In 2009/2010, I was car shopping after graduating college and slightly used cars were asking for 5-10% more than brand new. I haven't been looking very carefully because I'm not ultimately serious about buying right now: I have driven <500 miles since March, so why buy a new car?

brokencycle

Reaction score
Actually the compact size is one of my favorite things about the air cooled 911s of the past. A long time ago I posted photos from an early comparison showing a 60's 911, next to an 80's 911, and then next to the 991 (when it was relatively new). The 991 looked almost twice the size of the other two when one saw a side view and an overhead view showing the difference in length. Unfortunately, I can't locate those photos, but here photos Porsche released showing a 60s 911 and a 991. Perhaps they didn't show an overhead or side by side view as they didn't want to emphasize how much larger modern 911s (or really any cars these days) have become.

View attachment 1432798

View attachment 1432799
1596386615421.png

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You are normally looking at cars that are not generally for the price sensitive. Pleb cars have had crazy incentives for awhile.

In 2009/2010, I was car shopping after graduating college and slightly used cars were asking for 5-10% more than brand new. I haven't been looking very carefully because I'm not ultimately serious about buying right now: I have driven <500 miles since March, so why buy a new car?
Hmmm...i wonder what part is COVID related and what part of that is other demand factors? Like a Ford sedan or Chrysler minivan has probably had continuous incentive support since the 1990’s. If that’s the definition of pleb car?

Whether it’s related to new car prices or not, used car pricing and demand is really high right now in many segments. Which is kind of fucked up because Manheim values were really low at the start of the pandemic in the US. Clearly used car dealers stockpiled inventory at auction a few months ago and now they’re taking profits (and possibly price gouging).

brokencycle

Reaction score
Hmmm...i wonder what part is COVID related and what part of that is other demand factors? Like a Ford sedan or Chrysler minivan has probably had continuous incentive support since the 1990’s. If that’s the definition of pleb car?

Whether it’s related to new car prices or not, used car pricing and demand is really high right now in many segments. Which is kind of fucked up because Manheim values were really low at the start of the pandemic in the US. Clearly used car dealers stockpiled inventory at auction a few months ago and now they’re taking profits (and possibly price gouging).

I think it is demand based. One of my neighbors is a finance manager at a dealership that mostly sells relatively inexpensive used cars. He said they have been super busy because all the essential workers who buy those cars are still working, but from talking to his friends and colleagues at places like the Honda dealer, the new car demand is down because no one is driving, so no one is shopping, and at the beginning of this whole thing people didn't want to risk car shopping if it wasn't essential anyway.

I know some manufacturers did close, but I believe most American factories are running at near max capacity:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What happened at the British Grand Prix? Did Silverstone decide to re-pave the track with broken glass?

No ****! That last few laps was exciting as hell. Even the same tire on each vehicle destructed. You hear about drivers needing to manage their tire wear but this was crazy. Hamilton's tire ripped apart at 3/4 point on his last lap. Talk about timing it perfectly but what a risk.

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gotta stop torturing myself here, but the wait for my STI is wearing me out. Hopefully I can get mine before the snowfall. Just waiting for our asshole governor to ease up the regulations in my industry, been furloughed 5 month.

Looks like a riot

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm thinking of finally getting an EV in a couple of years. We are moving to a smaller apartment block where the cars are parked very close to the lowest flat and I'm thinking that my car's ignition noise will become a nuisance. The Taycan is my dream EV but I don't think I'll spend so much. I thought about getting the Honda EV just for laughs. I'm not getting a Tesla because I think Elon is a twat. Hopefully over the next year or so there'll be more choices - anything that I should be looking out for?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Inlaws have a Nissan Note hybrid which they love.

Can't fault Honda's engineering though. If they went full EV saloon car?
It would be like a Tesla, only put together really well.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol. Toto’s actually the GT series driver so he should’ve been more comfortable. Probably out of practice.
Aforementioned video of Hamilton, Bottas, Toto and their Merc GT R's.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of finally getting an EV in a couple of years. We are moving to a smaller apartment block where the cars are parked very close to the lowest flat and I'm thinking that my car's ignition noise will become a nuisance. The Taycan is my dream EV but I don't think I'll spend so much. I thought about getting the Honda EV just for laughs. I'm not getting a Tesla because I think Elon is a twat. Hopefully over the next year or so there'll be more choices - anything that I should be looking out for?

Unless you are buying high performance car with a sport exhaust, I doubt your neighbor will notice or care about the ignition sound. I've lived lots of places where homes or apartments were close together, and rarely noticed or cared about the sound of an Honda, Toyota, Ford etc starting. Today where I live the only neighbors cars that I notice the sound of the cars starting are a neighbor's M3 and another with a 911.

If you don't need a pure EV, we bought a 2020 Toyota RAV4 hybrid and upon start up, unless you turn on the heat or AC, there is basically no sound because its on battery power. It does make an odd sound upon putting it in reverse, which maybe pure EV vehicles also make - as it is an audible warning to pedestrians who may not be paying attention that a vehicle is nearby and backing up.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gotta stop torturing myself here, but the wait for my STI is wearing me out. Hopefully I can get mine before the snowfall. Just waiting for our asshole governor to ease up the regulations in my industry, been furloughed 5 month.

Looks like a riot

Just be careful where you do that. There is a blue STi in our area who loves to do that through our development (he doesn't live in the development). He has made himself the most hated person in the area. He hasn't been caught yet, but lots of people have called the police (they need a plate number). The minute someone gets his complete license plate, there are about a dozen people who plan on filing complaints with the police.

I finally saw a Taycan on the road and thought it was a great looking car. Better looking than the Panamera but that is not a high bar...

I've seen a few on the road and I agree its far better looking than a Panamera. I have no desire to own one, but a few friends who have owned several Porsches have test driven Taycans and they each came back saying it is incredibly impressive!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics