• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, i get this. The only advantage I can think of is that the screens are pretty basic, audi and mb screen are way more advanced than volvo in the newest models (not including the intro models) and the screens can do everything it seems ... but I do wonder when these cars are 5+ years old how it'll all hold up. In any of these if I think you'll be left with an eye opening bill if just the rear view mirrors are dinged by another car.

i'm digging the XC90 more and more as I drive it. I just need **** to work even though I don't have kids. Can it scale off road like a Range Rover? Nah, though it's plenty capable of what I'll need. On the flip side, can it make it to the grocery store without breaking down a la Range Rover? Yeah. I like the grocery store reference because my uncle drove his <100 miles RR to get groceries and it broke down and the dealer was just like ... nah man, just take a new one, here's new keys (this was in Rochester, NY). Another uncle also had his SV or ST or whatever the fancy line for Ford is ... that also broke down this spring while on the highway.

Modern Range Rovers have some of the worst build qualities. My former boss at Lexus transferred to a new Land Rover dealer and lasted about 2 years there. He had so many Range Rover buybacks that he had a panic attack and needed to take a leave of absence. This was a Brooklyn born tough guy with 30 years in the business and one of Ray Catena’s most trusted Service Managers. Even that wasn’t enough. He’s happily working again, but with Toyota currently.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
That’s somewhat shocking because RR’s depreciate by many thousands once they’re driven off the lot. So the dealer thought that eating that loss was preferable to trying to fix the thing...?
I guess so. I don't have many more details beyond the story of "hey can you believe this, I spent $80K and ...". This was probably 2008-2009 and I think it was one of those Sport Supercharged versions. Wasn't his first RR, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it with the dealer's consideration to just replace, and he still drives some modern version today. The only other thing I know is that the engine completely shut off, and then the dealer took it in to give it a look and just said F it with a new one.

Are touching screen that fragile, I mean a decade yes, but 5 years is probably fine, I still see some iphone 5 kicking around, that got to be more than 5 years ago...
I was thinking more along the lines of staying up to date. Not necessarily "the absolute latest of everything", but for example who on earth uses a car's built in navigation system to get anywhere when Waze or Google Maps is far far superior at any given moment. Off the lot and relatively new, I can see those things being just fine, but on an "older" model like a 2015 X5? Nah, buy a phone mount, preferably not a donkey dick shaped one you suction cup to the windshield, and use that while ignoring that entire screen.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, anything on board will never catch up, but I guess what becomes more important is how long can android auto/iphone carplay be supported, otherwise yes, phone mount will do better

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tech getting outdated is definitely a concern. The Porsche 997 went out of production 9 years ago and its PCM is so embarrassingly low-res and slow that I never turn the thing on.

i wouldn’t worry too much if the car it’s in offers an experience that newer cars aren’t likely to replicate. But for your main driver...well maybe just lease those

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, anything on board will never catch up, but I guess what becomes more important is how long can android auto/iphone carplay be supported, otherwise yes, phone mount will do better

Technology is moving way to quickly in this age. I didn't get my license until October 2001 and even then tape decks were still being included.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I guess so. I don't have many more details beyond the story of "hey can you believe this, I spent $80K and ...". This was probably 2008-2009 and I think it was one of those Sport Supercharged versions. Wasn't his first RR, so I wonder if that had anything to do with it with the dealer's consideration to just replace, and he still drives some modern version today. The only other thing I know is that the engine completely shut off, and then the dealer took it in to give it a look and just said F it with a new one.

I was thinking more along the lines of staying up to date. Not necessarily "the absolute latest of everything", but for example who on earth uses a car's built in navigation system to get anywhere when Waze or Google Maps is far far superior at any given moment. Off the lot and relatively new, I can see those things being just fine, but on an "older" model like a 2015 X5? Nah, buy a phone mount, preferably not a donkey dick shaped one you suction cup to the windshield, and use that while ignoring that entire screen.
Tech getting outdated is definitely a concern. The Porsche 997 went out of production 9 years ago and its PCM is so embarrassingly low-res and slow that I never turn the thing on.

i wouldn’t worry too much if the car it’s in offers an experience that newer cars aren’t likely to replicate. But for your main driver...well maybe just lease those
Technology is moving way to quickly in this age. I didn't get my license until October 2001 and even then tape decks were still being included.

Two words. Radio. Delete.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't get a picture of it as I was moving pretty fast on my board and so was he, going the opposite direction, but it was a Ferrari 812 Superfast in Rosso Scuderia paint. Nicest car I've seen so far down here, well besides that Countach.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
and nobody here has asked the REAL question about BMW's feature subscriptions.

who will be the first company, besides BMW, to monetize on this with advertising. "Enjoy 20 minutes of warm and comfortable seat heaters courtesy of our sponsors. Before we begin, a quick message ..."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads