• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first cars were MK1 and MK2 GTI's so that fondness is still there. So that kind of answers my question.

My first car was an 1986 Volkswagen Scirocco 8v, which I proceeded to back into a pole a few days before my 16th birthday. A couple of months later I bought a 1990 Jetta GTX (GLI). Last week at my mechanic's shop, he had a GLX and a GTI 16v parked side-by-side. Cool cars which obviously hold somewhat sentimental value to me, but I have zero interest or desire to own another one, especially not at their current prices: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-volkswagen-jetta-gli-16v-4/

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GTI is a bit more reliable in my experience, and parts a bit cheaper; but that might just be being EU based. A JCW is a lot more fun and stylish (my wife had one for a while) but I couldn’t get over the crappy interior. Everything is cheap plastic, creaking etc..

And being 6’4” the GTI has a bit more car feeling to me, the mini was just a go cart modified for road use at my size?

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Thrift Vader I’m gonna take a look at the valve cover gasket first and work my way down. Just waiting for a VW tech to give me the instruction manual!

oh if anyone has questions on a MK7 R, I have the same engine and DSG trans in the S3. It’s been peachy.

only issues it gave me are the height sensor fault for the adjustable suspension, and the trunk randomly opening because a wire kept getting short when the headlights went on lol.

135k in and let’s keep going!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Thrift Vader I’m gonna take a look at the valve cover gasket first and work my way down. Just waiting for a VW tech to give me the instruction manual!

oh if anyone has questions on a MK7 R, I have the same engine and DSG trans in the S3. It’s been peachy.

only issues it gave me are the height sensor fault for the adjustable suspension, and the trunk randomly opening because a wire kept getting short when the headlights went on lol.

135k in and let’s keep going!

One thing that really struck me was how well the DCC on the Golf R worked.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m on the opposite: I think it’s a gimmick and you can’t beat coilovers.

I never changed settings and when I did, it was to diagnose that level sensor fault

I’m just amazed you can tell the difference between modes. I remember installing Koni adjustables in my GTI and the different settings were imperceptible. Granted it was 20+ yrs ago.

But I wonder if I’d ever take it out of sport.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m just amazed you can tell the difference between modes. I remember installing Koni adjustables in my GTI and the different settings were imperceptible. Granted it was 20+ yrs ago.

But I wonder if I’d ever take it out of sport.

you can definitely tell the difference. It’s either stiff or stiffer. It’s how much air you get from the same bump on the road at 45mph

the steering adjustment is more useful and most noticeable out of the three things you can adjust with throttle/shifting mode as second place.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's time to grab one of these while I still can...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics