• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I love good BBS's on BMW's, but that game gets more and more expensive all the time, for diminishing returns.

I think the best BBS wheel out there right now is the BBS-FI (from the 599 GTO and now made in BMW, Porsche, and Ferrari fits) but I think they're quite expensive. Not exactly a groundbreaking design either, Radius (Racing Dynamics?) basically made a cheap version of the same design like 15 years ago, for BMW.

Kuki

Reaction score
Tubi is my go to exhaust but they're kind of expensive
frown.gif

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I love good BBS's on BMW's, but that game gets more and more expensive all the time, for diminishing returns.

You can make some serious deals on the European ebay sites, I got a set of Carlsson 1/12 for less than half of what they cost from new, I also had a pair of 20" Bentley for 2 days before I sold them for a profit.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If a wheel is hot and new, chances are you aren't gonna get them too easily. Normally you can get cheap BBS in Japan, like those LM's and RG-R's, but those FI's are made in Germany only so they're like $2K a piece or more. Probably some of the most expensive 1-piece wheels I've ever seen.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the rims admittedly will be mainly for aesthetics. but I do also want to get a bigger contact patch onto the ground as well - the stock 19's are too narrow IMO and if I could do it again I would have gone with the wider rims on the competition package. the suspension would be to tighten up the ride a bit and also give me the flexibility to handle more advanced track day tinkering (when I'm more proficient, I've only done driving schools to this point and the stock setup is all I can handle at the moment)

the BBS FI is a great wheel. right now I'm debating between the LM and an HRE 3-piece like the 590 series

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
not a fan of HRE; they may be order-made but that's as much as they'd have in common with styleforum IMO; HRE's have a record for failure ans so the quality isn't exactly a given, and aesthetically they're not really made with any sympathy towards a specific vehicle the way real tuner wheels are, saying nothing of the type of people who buy them and the cars they end up on, in what styles and colors.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

not a fan of HRE; they may be order-made but that's as much as they'd have in common with styleforum IMO; HRE's have a record for failure ans so the quality isn't exactly a given, and aesthetically they're not really made with any sympathy towards a specific vehicle the way real tuner wheels are, saying nothing of the type of people who buy them and the cars they end up on, in what styles and colors.

really? because i'm interested in them on the references of a few friends of mine who are into this kind of stuff (well, one of them is kind of a d-bag so i get what you're implying :lol: )...they pointed me to a few sites that showed their racing history and manufacturing quality certifications and whatnot. there are a few reports here and there of wheel failure but haven't seen anything endemic. it's more the new wheel makers like ADV 1 that seem to be viewed with skepticism because of a lack of track record or racing heritage (i know there are different reasons why people are skeptical of ADV 1 other than quality but that's beside the point)

any facts on their record for failure? not trying to be argumentative, just trying to learn before i make a decision

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If a wheel is hot and new, chances are you aren't gonna get them too easily. Normally you can get cheap BBS in Japan, like those LM's and RG-R's, but those FI's are made in Germany only so they're like $2K a piece or more. Probably some of the most expensive 1-piece wheels I've ever seen.

Living in Japan you should be able to find something nice, for not a lot.

I remember seeing pictures of http://www.tire-ichiba.co.jp/ yard floating round.

tokyowheels_1.jpg

tokyowheels_4.jpg

tokyowheels_10.jpg

really? because i'm interested in them on the references of a few friends of mine who are into this kind of stuff (well, one of them is kind of a d-bag so i get what you're implying :lol: )...they pointed me to a few sites that showed their racing history and manufacturing quality certifications and whatnot. there are a few reports here and there of wheel failure but haven't seen anything endemic. it's more the new wheel makers like ADV 1 that seem to be viewed with skepticism because of a lack of track record or racing heritage (i know there are different reasons why people are skeptical of ADV 1 other than quality but that's beside the point)
any facts on their record for failure? not trying to be argumentative, just trying to learn before i make a decision

HRE had ALOT of quality issues years back, espically with water build up on the lips, I don't know about now, but I would definitely do my due diligence.
http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=17791108

I don't think it's besides the point that people didn't get their 360 forged wheels etc. I like adv1 designs though.

If you want quality go for CCW wheels or Work.

epb

Reaction score

the suspension would be to tighten up the ride a bit and also give me the flexibility to handle more advanced track day tinkering (when I'm more proficient, I've only done driving schools to this point and the stock setup is all I can handle at the moment)
the BBS FI is a great wheel. right now I'm debating between the LM and an HRE 3-piece like the 590 series

I've driven the E90 M3 on the track and the stock suspension is pretty capable, especially if you've got EDC. It sounds like you've got a while before you're faster than your car; might want to hold off a bit, especially if it's your daily driver. The better you make it for the track, the worse it will be everywhere else.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can make some serious deals on the European ebay sites, I got a set of Carlsson 1/12 for less than half of what they cost from new, I also had a pair of 20" Bentley for 2 days before I sold them for a profit.

carlsson is not even close to bbs. coming from a guy who has been(several timeso9 to a workshop of a bespoke rim makier who is able to fix the most expensive stuff in the world.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've driven the E90 M3 on the track and the stock suspension is pretty capable, especially if you've got EDC. It sounds like you've got a while before you're faster than your car; might want to hold off a bit, especially if it's your daily driver. The better you make it for the track, the worse it will be everywhere else.

I have too, and I agree with you. Good advice. That's what I'm debating at the moment. Although a good set of coilovers and nothing else is very livable as a DD IMO
HRE had ALOT of quality issues years back, espically with water build up on the lips, I don't know about now, but I would definitely do my due diligence.
I don't think it's besides the point that people didn't get their 360 forged wheels etc. I like adv1 designs though.

Thanks for the link. I saw a statement from one of their reps that their race ban was a rumor started by someone with a personal beef with them. Now that sounds exactly like something a corporate rep would say, but that's the other side of the story that I got.

But the point is not lost on me that HRE has had to defend their reputation a few times at least, while BBS never has (at least not that I've seen)

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Living in Japan you should be able to find something nice, for not a lot.
I remember seeing pictures of http://www.tire-ichiba.co.jp/ yard floating round.
tokyowheels_1.jpg

tokyowheels_4.jpg

tokyowheels_10.jpg

hahaha, those pics are crazy. I see a bunch of rare old wheels in there. Those white OZ Racing are most likely from a Lancia Delta Integrale. I was sitting there next to Hoshino Kazuyoshi the other day and didn't realize it, and then started thinking about all the rare wheels Hoshino Impul has made...

Japan has cheap brand new wheels though, just lots of stuff made here that is pretty good (also the tires, so the sets are cheap). Are all BBS LM made in Japan? I know some or most have to be, because they're not particularly expensive here and they have them in a huge range of sizes, like 15"-20" or some wide range. A lot of car magazines have tire/wheel packages for shockingly cheap, even the good stuff, because they pair some cheaper tires to move sets.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks for the link. I saw a statement from one of their reps that their race ban was a rumor started by someone with a personal beef with them. Now that sounds exactly like something a corporate rep would say, but that's the other side of the story that I got.
But the point is not lost on me that HRE has had to defend their reputation a few times at least, while BBS never has (at least not that I've seen)

Reps will say anything to sell their product ;)

The only BBS problems I know of are financial, but besides that I would buy anything from them without blinking, they deliver wheels to Ferrari's F1 team, which is pretty much one of the best motorsport reference's you can have.

hahaha, those pics are crazy. I see a bunch of rare old wheels in there. Those white OZ Racing are most likely from a Lancia Delta Integrale. I was sitting there next to Hoshino Kazuyoshi the other day and didn't realize it, and then started thinking about all the rare wheels Hoshino Impul has made...
Japan has cheap brand new wheels though, just lots of stuff made here that is pretty good (also the tires, so the sets are cheap). Are all BBS LM made in Japan? I know some or most have to be, because they're not particularly expensive here and they have them in a huge range of sizes, like 15"-20" or some wide range. A lot of car magazines have tire/wheel packages for shockingly cheap, even the good stuff, because they pair some cheaper tires to move sets.

The word gold mine comes to mind, that for sure, I would love to go somewhere like that.

I actually don't know where they are made, but I wouldn't be surprised if they are made some where in Asia, as BBS has a whole line of Japan only wheels Super RS etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads