• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yea, that's what I mean by "sporty" vs. just a powerful engine

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh and sorry to disagree again, but the Magnum was really crappy. Like, one of the worst cars of its day that I’d driven. Wallowed around turns like a pig in mud, the body roll would actually pitch you against your passenger (on the slippery plastic leather bench seat) on left turns. Lots of nvh on the powertrain, falling plastic pieces from the interior. Steering so vague I was constantly wandering outside of my lane...ugh.

I rented one for a SF - LA - Vegas trip and I would have returned it to Hertz 20 miles in id my wife and brother in law hadn’t offered to share driving duties (they hated it too). And then a Dodge salesman buddy had me over on a slow day to screw around with test drives and stuff and I hated it all over again (this is where I literally got thrown into his lap while making a turn).

he said that he could probably get me $10k off the car, which is interesting because the sticker price was $38k (so...a 26% discount??) but of course I still said no.

sorry for the violent reaction but I really, really hated the Magnum

It was certainly a polarizing car, but if you read my post I said it had potential, I didn’t say it was perfect. Like many things American, the top model is usually the only serious contender. As an example, a stock base mustang is a ************* compared to a Shelby GT350, there’s no contest. The same went for the Magnum. Plus those base magnums were FWD, that would explain the piggish nature. The SRT8 was an oversteering lunatic

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As for wives hating wagons, so did mine. Until she had seen what dogs did to the interior of her dads mercedes E sedan. Suddenly something with a big enough boot for them was very attractive?

Two fully packed ski trips with 1000km drives further and she never wants to go back.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yea, that's what I mean by "sporty" vs. just a powerful engine

The SRT8 Magnum was a "sporty" car though, maybe not by German standards but it was skating a very thin line between a street rod and a wagon

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was certainly a polarizing car, but if you read my post I said it had potential, I didn’t say it was perfect. Like many things American, the top model is usually the only serious contender. As an example, a stock base mustang is a ************* compared to a Shelby GT350, there’s no contest. The same went for the Magnum. Plus those base magnums were FWD, that would explain the piggish nature. The SRT8 was an oversteering lunatic
I read your post. What I’m saying is that it’s a ************* with no potential to be a truly good car. The issues it had are not the kind of issues that can be fixed through “manufacturer hot rodding” for lack of a better term.

you may disagree but don’t tell me I didn’t read your post

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Whatever happened to that RS6 Avant coming to the states? It’s not vaporware - I was able to see and touch it at the LA auto show last year - but now there’s been no news

Almost forgot about it! Yeah, a seriously badass wagon. Except I don’t know if I want my wagon to be so overtly badass.

or maybe all of them just moved to the raised up wagon

Yeah but eww. What would be the point anymore? Like seriously. Just shoot me in the face.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read your post. What I’m saying is that it’s a ************* with no potential to be a truly good car. The issues it had are not the kind of issues that can be fixed through “manufacturer hot rodding” for lack of a better term.

you may disagree but don’t tell me I didn’t read your post

I said “if you read my post” IF!!! And I said it in a nonthreatening way, no need to overreact here. So you’re grouping the front wheel Drive V6 in the same category as a HEMI V8 rear real Drive? I’m not comparing the two but this was pretty impressive for what it was....a ************* as you say

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RS6 or E63S? Think RS6 looks more angular/mean but at end of the day I would probably pick E63S

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How am I supposed to know, I said it in a nonthreatening way, no need to overreact here. So you’re grouping the front wheel Drive V6 in the same category as a HEMI V8 rear real Drive? I’m not comparing the two but this was pretty impressive for what it was....a ************* as you say

just reminds me how the times has changed, now 13 second 1/4 mile is like every other mid range

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
RS6 or E63S? Think RS6 looks more angular/mean but at end of the day I would probably pick E63S

E63S 100%. Much better engine. Better at being a wagon. If I wanted something as extroverted as the RS6, I wouldn’t choose a wagon in the first place.

just reminds me how the times has changed, now 13 second 1/4 mile is like every other mid range

Which is why simple performance metrics don’t matter as much anymore. Tactility and experience are increasingly king.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I hear that, statistically, second marriages are happier.

i won't do better.

and remember that thing about architects - they like pretty things. Wagons i also can't get into, although i do like the old school All Roads.

The XC40 is a neat little thing, and I would consider it in the R trim. Only issue is back storage is quite limited. The 60 is great sandwiched between the 40 and the 90. Quite the competitive segment, too.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I said “if you read my post” IF!!! And I said it in a nonthreatening way, no need to overreact here. So you’re grouping the front wheel Drive V6 in the same category as a HEMI V8 rear real Drive? I’m not comparing the two but this was pretty impressive for what it was....a ************* as you say

JFC...i just can’t anymore. You react to every dissenting opinion with claws fully out. This is on me because i knew that this was going to happen, and i still went ahead and posted. I need to learn from things and not keep repeating them.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is like the key question for all wagonhood, isn’t it? I admit that the RS6 excites me much more, but that’s purely on looks. I’ve never driven the thing. Seems like the reviews I’ve seen where the person has driven both, ends up with a preference towards the MB. Which i somewhat believe - if i compared every S/RS I’ve ever driven against every AMG, i think the AMG family wins handily. Except the best single car of all of them is the R8 V10+

But the RS6 is exactly how i would draw up a wagon if i were given a clean sheet of paper...

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is like the key question for all wagonhood, isn’t it? I admit that the RS6 excites me much more, but that’s purely on looks. I’ve never driven the thing. Seems like the reviews I’ve seen where the person has driven both, ends up with a preference towards the MB. Which i somewhat believe - if i compared every S/RS I’ve ever driven against every AMG, i think the AMG family wins handily. Except the best single car of all of them is the R8 V10+

But the RS6 is exactly how i would draw up a wagon if i were given a clean sheet of paper...
RS3 is better than the CLA45, but AMG beats Audi on everything else (except for R8)

The RS6 doesn’t have the exhaust note or power that the E63S has. It’s also slower. Both manufacturers make great interiors, but Audis are pretty numb on steering feel.

I’d take an E63 over any sports sedan or wagon right now, without a question. Though the RS6 looks awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads