Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

So the rapper Tyga was staying at my hotel in Chicago this past weekend. The car was parked out front and then they loaded it up when the tour bus was taking off. Chrome gold R8 - apparently with a cashmere interior. :brick:

[​IMG]

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I actually have at least twice (~45-50 degrees, again in SoCal, that's cold) and no, I just can't do it. It just looks stupid when I stop at a light and then I can see my breath because it's so cold. I also like to be able to move freely when I drive and with too many layers, it's very uncomfortable.

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

because, they don't know the feeling. poor buggers...

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

imo, this is the wrong attitude. horses for courses. nvm.

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Wrong attitude? I tried it and I didn't like it. I don't want to fucking drive with the top down in the cold, get over it. I live in SoCal for a reason.

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

why so angry? wanna pull a moo?

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Not mad but sometimes that is the only way to get the point across.

And what the hell is "pull a moo?"

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

Hardtops look way better than softops, just some aren't done right. SL is an excellent example.

Also having the top down on a cab on a hot sunny day is about the stupidest thing in the world to me. The beauty of a cab (even though they're for hairdressers) is to have the top down when it's cold or cool that's the best. In the winter time I'll have my jacket on and windows all the way down with the heat blasting. Or in the summertime windows down and a/c blasting. People have this archaic thinking of thinking the windows should be up just because the a/c or heat is on.

9. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Key is finding the right middle ground. 65-80 degrees seems perfect to drive with the top down, for me anyways. 50 degrees or lower and 90 degrees or higher and I'd rather enjoy the car with the top up with the heater/air conditioner on. I've only had the Z4 for 2 months and it hasn't really gotten that hot in SoCal yet so I'll see how much summer heat I can handle, I got my sun block ready.

10. jet

jet Persian Bro

I think top end of the temp range would be 75 max for down enjoyment, summer nights are the best though especially rolling down ventura or on the 101 at 2 am leaving the spot with it around 72 in the dead of summer.

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Saw some article about it a while back, he apparently also has a drop head coupe in red, what I don't get is, where does the money come from, he can't have sold that many records to be able to afford speeding +600k$ on cars, they must be leased or something.

That and seat heating on blast and you are there.

Now that we are on the subject, I have never understood why people buy cabs and don't put the roof down, when the sun is shining, the to warm thing is pretty much non existing here.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

12. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

record label advances

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

The SL is a good example, especially with pano roof, and the California works as well. It definitely works on roadsters with enough wheelbase to put a bit of a slant on the back pillars. The Miata is an example of roadster without the wheelbase to put enough roof on it.

The E93 though, 3-piece fail. They should've stuck with the soft top and removable hard top option as they always have (not that anybody actually buys the hardtop option)

[​IMG]

I saw a 458 Spider the other day, not really a fan of the things behind the headrests (what do you call those things again?) - they're more exaggerated now because of the hardtop, looks a bit forced, whereas I am a fan of the 430, 360, and 355 Spiders. The coupe is sadly the nicer of the two 458's though.

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

+1. And the Spyder loses the clear engine cover, which I kind of like.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012

15. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I've come to really like the 458, but yeah the Spider looks like an amateur'ish solution and not refined looking IMO. Are they called buttresses or pontons? The things behind the headrests, they suck.

[​IMG]