• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, Tobias Moers from AMG is the new CEO of Aston Martin! Andy Palmer out
Rumor was Tobias was pretty pissed at Daimler and the direction of AMG on phasing out the V-8's.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, quite a challenge to take on AM at the moment, can they even survive

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you had only one car, you drove in winter conditions, and had $30k or less (USD) to blow, used or new, what would you have as a daily driver?

Include three reasons why you chose that car for your lifestyle. For me, it would have to be a Volvo V70R wagon.

- It's (relatively) fast
- It's a wagon that can be bought in manual transmission
- Volvo seats are comfortable for long road trips
2020 WRB Subaru STI

-Rack & Pinion steering
-Single Turbo (glorious turbo lag)
-No bullshit direct injection, so zero carbon cleaning required

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be more concerned with McLaren since they trimmed some fat recently.

Also don't Subies tell knock knock jokes ?

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting from a corporate standpoint though. If he uses the next two years to cut some of the more outlandish models (looking at you, dbx) and Daimler itself lets the SL and amg GT lines run out, the brand could actually be a nice fit to be the grand tourer division for the group. Let AMG focus on the more pure sports cars, Maybach on the ultra luxury stuff and Aston Martin on the GTs, with the rest of the group doing the regular mass production cars. After two years the SL and the AMG GTs are what, 7 years old? And in those two years the current crisis and brexit will have played out, and provide cover for the necessary cuts in models at AM. Then buy out the whole group.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I certainly hope so, other than the SUV, AM is the only company that consistent turn out beautiful product, though I guess without large pocket behind some of the not vehicle dynamic stuff will be tougher (yes infotainment, CarPlay, navigation kind of things...)

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, that dude is going to be working for Mercedes again soon enough. Mercedes is already their engine and electronics supplier so this is no surprise. The deal with Mercedes prevents their competitors from investing in Aston, so the universe of white knights is already pretty limited.

If you look at the competitive landscape: VW owns Bentley and BMW owns RR. I think it has always just been a matter of time before Aston ended up in Mercedes' hands and this crisis has just accelerated that timeline.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly hope so, other than the SUV, AM is the only company that consistent turn out beautiful product, though I guess without large pocket behind some of the not vehicle dynamic stuff will be tougher (yes infotainment, CarPlay, navigation kind of things...)
they outsourced that part below through garmin and wasn’t too bad

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
didn't realize they outsource that already, yea better just stick with MB system then..., RR used iDrive I assume, though think it's a few cycles behind in general

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
though I guess if they use MB engine they need to get on with the program on V8 as well eventually...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
AM is developing a hybridized turbo V6 to replace the AMG V8.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
developing or use the same one from MB? though I thought MB has gone back to inline 6 again as well

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
developing or use the same one from MB? though I thought MB has gone back to inline 6 again as well
MB is using the inline 6 for the 43 AMG range and still using the V8 for the 63 AMG

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean phasing out V6 and going back to I6 (regarding to Foo's comment on hybrid V6, would imagine a hybrid I6, E53 is a mild hybrid right, can wee a full hybrid next time around...)

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.