Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

re Fisker - i seem to see one every month in South FL. it might be the same one since they are all silverish gray. i wouldn't call it gorgeous like i would the Rapide. but it's definitely original and very cool looking. last time i gave the driver (white haired white guy) a thumbs up but he either ignored me or didn't see me.

the new Boxster is awesome. looks like a mini Carrera GT. i got my invite to test drive it when my dealer gets its demos, and i think i'll take them up on the offer. prolly also see if i can take the 991 out for a spin also.

but my likely next car? i can't stop thinking about the new Shelby GT500. would love to feel 650 hp on a live axle :D that, or get a used GTR and bring it to Switzer.

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Boss 302 > GT500. Save the $12k and thank me later. :D

Thanks for the tip.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

3. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

yeah, i agree. but i already have two well balanced street machines that perform well on the track. kind of looking for something i can tune into a high HP/TQ monster next ;)

it's not gonna be this year anyway so let's see what comes on the market in the next 18-24 months

4. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

it's a very impressive car, imo.

5. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Why would you use an american car, as a base for a track other than price, european and asian cars are much better suitred for that matter and they produce more hp from the same engine size.

I have always wondered what kind of HP the viper or corvette would have had, if their engines had been developed by mb, bmw, porsche, Nissan etc.

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

7. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Nothing is more exciting or scary then 450+ mad American horses on floppy old suspension. Pull up to the red light next to the riced out civic and punch the gas. Just to feel the ass end hopping through the intersection in a nice cloud of smoke... At least this is what my Trans Am did with heads/cam till the rear end blew out.

~Kurt

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I think the adding a GT-R to a collection that includes a v8 M3 and a GT3 would only further complicate things, the GT-R and GT3 are obviously pretty different but I think they'd be competing for attention... maybe even end up offloading the Porsche? :eek: On the other hand, I can understand getting one of those big-power muscle cars if what you want to do is drag around in one. If it's later down the road, you might even look at a used ZR-1.

I love the Singer, I'd daily drive if I could ever afford one. You have to provide the LWB 964 and then pay the shop low-mid six figures cash though, right?

9. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i have to do a better research, if the original car is included. although, i assume the car which will be converted mustn't necessarily be in the best condition.

based on the standard version they charge € 125 k. +/- the car, which i have to find out.

10. impolyt_one

That's... a lot of money for a Porsche, because the thing about that is, it's all at once. That's why I said, I would love to have one, but I'd have to be filthy rich, where the money doesn't matter. The packages go up significantly if you start adding the big power 993 motors and stuff. I mean, you could build something yourself, and it won't have a few of the awesome finishing touches that the Singer has, but you can pay for it as you go too....

11. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

well, at this point of customization, i think it is reasonable.

i would much more be afraid of the maintenance. besides the cost factor, you have to find a mechanic, who has the skills to work on it, not?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

12. impolyt_one

I don't think the maintenance side of it would require anything special, as long as you have the specs on the motor. It's just a built 993 motor, people have seen those before. The bodywork is unique, though, so I guess if you ever lost a rear flare or something, you'd probably have to get a way to get one from California.

13. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

what I was trying to say was that the Boss 302 appeals to me the most as a balanced track car, because there are more powerful cars out there. but i''m not looking for a balanced track car because I already have one (even though I actually haven't gotten around to taking it on the track yet)...so to try something different with the next car it would be kinda cool to have a straight-line beast like the Shelby or ZR1...or the GTR, which is actually both a straight line beast and a track monster (that unfortunately has also been beaten with the ugly stick but I guess you can't have it all)

I don't think the Americans are particularly unimaginative, just maybe a bit lazy. the Europeans and Japanese have been forced to focus on efficiency for the displacement because of fuel cost and regulations that don't exist in the US. when needed, the Americans can build a car that turns and brakes with the best of them...but on the "go" side they've really only needed to stuff the biggest engine possible in there, although even that is changing now

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Base on $$$ to HP ratio, there really is no beating an American muscle. A ZL1 with 580hp V8 for $54k, Boss 302 with 440hp V8 for $42k, GT500 with 650hp V8 for $54k & CTS-V with 550hp V8 for $64k, heck you can get a Challenger R/T with 375hp V8 for $30k. There really nothing else that can beat that much power for the $$$ so if it just a straight line monster you're looking for, American muscle is the way to go, heavy as hell but if it were light then it wouldn't be a muscle car.

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

this sums it up nicely...