1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

this assumes what they say is true,a huge assumption on the internet

but I agree, it's not how much you make, but how you manage it
    and taking huge depreciation hits every 4 months on luxury cars is not wise

I know more than a few who worked 'regular average wage jobs' and retired at 55 with a mil in the bank and a few properties
    they had discipline and learned to tell themselves 'no', a lost art in our instant gratification society

2. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I believe him, and he doesnt sound like the one who is loose with money, it sounds like the other guy is. In any event, its a rare thing to have money at a young age and it can be very hard to curb impulses. Just saying if you have money young and turn 40 and have shit you'll look back and wish you were smarter.

I remember this guy I knew that was a lead singer in a band, he had a work accident and got a workmans comp payout of like 60k. For a year he was cabbing people everywhere, buying drinks, new clothes... for a year. 60k isnt a huge amount of money but it could have been a nest egg. Easy come, easy go.

3. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Well really guys, we are here to talk about cars? And you should be glad that i'm posting for you, no? I can stop if it enoys you all. I'm not here to get any tip of how I got money, how I should spend my money or how my life could be better.

It may be kind from you all, but I really dont need yours help in that matter thank you anyway. If we can go back to discuss cars I can answer you? But if you want to talk money you better open a new thread.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

idfnl is spot on here, but also THIS.

5. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Fuck ya... my piece is said, so lets see some more pics of that monster.

6. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Will do Mr! But as you know it's friday and my drinking comes first [​IMG]

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Yes, without a doubt.

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Can you be more specific what you hate about it? I mean if it is just because it's a small car I have a Z4 and I am perfectly happy with it.

I've been inside both and they didn't seem too small and the interior almost identical in looks. I mean can you tell which ones which?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

could you tell me more about why he hates the Vantage? because I was kind of interested in buying one, although not any time soon.

or does he only hate it because it's not a DB9? :lol:

10. Sir F

Sir F Senior member

Well he dont think it's comfortable as a DB9 and the plain windows is lower so he need to take back his seat alot. I didn't say it's not a great car, but you can feel much diffrence when driving them both.

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I see - thanks for the info. I think the Vantage is perfect looking but you are right - it will never be as luxurious or perform better than DB9.

regarding Alfa Romeos, my dad has one, it's rubbish from a quality perspective and underpowered. but he loves it and would never give it up. cars really aren't a rational topic in my family :D

12. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I see Jag has a F-Type vehicle on there site, under a cover. What is this car going to be, looks like small roadster? I can see this as something very interesting for me if it's an E-Type replacement... I just hope the styling is lovely with a bit of a classical feel.

Edit: Clicking on it, brings pics under camo. Looks like a baby XK...

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

calling it a "replacement" for the E-type is a bit of a stretch... they haven't exactly make the E-type in about 40 years...

finished car will probably look like this except in roadster form, concept cars nowadays leave nothing to the imagination anymore:

[​IMG]

14. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

It may get me in the dealer for a closer look...

15. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Another car I am intrested in is a Ferrari F12, to bad it's out of reach... I would live in it!

16. impolyt_one

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  17. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You're talking some serious money in changes for a beater. Thats a pretty nice car with very low miles. Maybe we define beater differently.

18. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Yeah, looks to be more than a beater to me, too. That car looks good.

19. impolyt_one

well, stretch of the word 'beater' -rather I should say 'second car that isn't too expensive' :eek: That car is about $10K, but unfortunately cars don't come much cheaper than that if you pay all the associated licensing and stuff. Parking would cost more per year than asking price, not even counting gas.
    I really want one of those, I will get one someday when parking is less of a hassle. I guess they made a 2L six version 320i with that M-Tech II kit in Japan for the final year or two of production, they're all black/grey two-tone automatic cars I think. They're not exactly like the Italian 320iS with the S14, but they look like it from the outside at least. Just brought back some good memories of my old E30's.

I will probably have to get a wagon soon, my wife has a food business idea she wants to get serious about. I will probably go back and get one of those AMG wagons for a daily car soon. I still want to get a sports car this year, just gotta finish some other things I'm working on. Sucking up my money. :fu:

20. impolyt_one

One car I am pretty excited about though is the 6 Gran Coupe, after driving the 650i I can feel that the GC is gonna be stunning (for a 4 door) - certainly better than the new CLS. The proportions are probably gonna be really sexy on this thing IRL.

[​IMG]