• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of VW,
@otc have you had any of these low speed stalls in your Rabbit GTI?

I’ve been following the issue closely and would be lying if I said that this wasn’t a partial reason why I am not considering the GTI anymore as a viable alternative to my next ride. I don’t believe the 2018 models were affected or earlier models for that matter. I also am not sure if the 2020 versions have addressed it, as it already left such a bad taste for me.

My 2008 Naturally Aspirated Civic SI has such an amazing gearbox and clutch that I have stalled out probably less then 50 times in a 12 year period; even counting my learning phase in 2008. The last thing I want is to inherit a problem that would cause that figure to drastically increase without fault of my own or control. Plus I imagine my anxiety levels would be off the charts in my city driving, not knowing when the next stall is coming and also not even realizing it, since the car just dies without the usual stalling motion.

Furthermore I figure it was worth mentioning on this thread since I don’t reckon it’s been discussed yet. The number of complaints are staggering and both concerning and amusing simultaneously.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not even once.

It is hard to get a handle on how common it really is vs how many people show up on enthusiast forums to talk about it.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not even once.

It is hard to get a handle on how common it really is vs how many people show up on enthusiast forums to talk about it.
If you read through the link it’s a pretty widespread issue for the 2019 model year based on an abundance of firsthand owner accounts of consistent well described complaints affecting manual GTI models, but especially the Rabbits. VWOA has issued Dealer Buy Backs in many cases and no definitive repair has been implemented yet. Some have stated it’s the oil weight and others have stated it’s a defective wiring harness.

As of today the NSHTA has more then enough complaints to have VW take this seriously, which I hope they are.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not much for funny auto decals but once I pick up my STI I’d like to custom design a decal, since I’ve yet to see one in person. Still configuring it but the gist will be an STI gearbox pattern and Subie logo surrounding it with the letters “DSG...LOL” underneath.
A few of my friends with 911s have decals from The Manual Transmission Preservation Society with a shift pattern.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you read through the link it’s a pretty widespread issue for the 2019 model year based on an abundance of firsthand owner accounts of consistent well described complaints affecting manual GTI models, but especially the Rabbits. VWOA has issued Dealer Buy Backs in many cases and no definitive repair has been implemented yet. Some have stated it’s the oil weight and others have stated it’s a defective wiring harness.

As of today the NSHTA has more then enough complaints to have VW take this seriously, which I hope they are.
eh...that's how confirmation bias works. People have a problem and seek out places to report it, so when you look at the model forum it sounds like everyone has it. I have personally never posted in that thread.

It was definitely a problem and they did buy back a few cars, but it seems like the recent ECU flash (and maybe changing back to the same oil used in 2018 models) has stopped it for most people.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What is our appropriate car for being successful when we hit 40?
The same answer it is at any age: whatever the fuck you want. Drive what you want that you can afford and fuck everybody's opinion if they don't like it.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
2GR swapped 86 it is! :fonz:
no, i'm half joking. don't know what it is. perhaps i'm getting old. but i just want a car that makes me smile. with only wheels and an exhaust.

I guess a 350z does that. seen one with a supercharger howl it's way to a close loss to an M4. it was plenty fast, and rowdy. dude probably had 10k in it. and i like the shape.

I miss my Skyline. . .

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2GR swapped 86 it is! :fonz:
no, i'm half joking. don't know what it is. perhaps i'm getting old. but i just want a car that makes me smile. with only wheels and an exhaust.

I guess a 350z does that. seen one with a supercharger howl it's way to a close loss to an M4. it was plenty fast, and rowdy. dude probably had 10k in it. and i like the shape.

I miss my Skyline. . .
I think you of all people will appreciate this. Saw this the other day on a job site. It was right hand drive and I have never seen one before like it. Thought it was a VW at first glance :lol:

1ED3A20F-4901-4B54-881B-38F8C4C51F1B.jpeg
C883B84A-4B94-409D-9BF6-4496636995CF.jpeg
172CE352-E74A-464F-87BB-8D9D838BE941.jpeg
75C0D603-9207-456D-B780-4E180D590232.jpeg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So this clapped out, cut springs, Maaco pistachio green paint jobbed 2000’s V6 Mustang pulls up next to me minding my own business, and decides to blast my ear hole with his straight pipe exhaust that sounds like fiberglass tearing in half.

which I’ve gotten used to in Miami because people are trash here. But...I noticed - the guy had awindow sticker telling everyone his Instagram handle! Why would you do that? Does he think people will see his turd and think, oooh I gotta follow him??? And doesn’t it make it easy for people to find you after your usual bouts of fuckery?

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this clapped out, cut springs, Maaco pistachio green paint jobbed 2000’s V6 Mustang pulls up next to me minding my own business, and decides to blast my ear hole with his straight pipe exhaust that sounds like fiberglass tearing in half.

which I’ve gotten used to in Miami because people are trash here. But...I noticed - the guy had awindow sticker telling everyone his Instagram handle! Why would you do that? Does he think people will see his turd and think, oooh I gotta follow him??? And doesn’t it make it easy for people to find you after your usual bouts of fuckery?
Speaking of social media accounts, I was accidentally featured in an automotive YouTube video. Some channel centered around a Hellcat RedEye. He occasionally does collaborations with Street Speed 717

The guys pretty much a douchebag lol
You see my Civic Si around the 12:20 mark, so please do yourself a favor and skip forward. It’s in a Walmart parking lot.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Porsche "revealed" the 992 GT3 in their "Big Heist" commercial which was released today:

Mmhmm...assuming there’s gonna be a Touring (there will), I think imma see if I can get a PTS allocation.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Peak Porsche II

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 87 17.5%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 158 31.8%
  • 8”

Votes: 143 28.8%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 58 11.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 26 5.2%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.2%