• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
images

You know. you get it. When you melt Dinosaurs? The best thrill, is in a Subaru Sti.

- Even got Mr Ferrari on the boat.
The Classic Rumble ends this year. it's a know , or don't know thing.

-get a silver. matching wheels is easier. as is scratch repair.

Haha knew you’d like that. I do like the Silver and agree on the wheels. Silver with the famous gold BBS’s would like sweet. I hear Subie paint is paper thin, so that might be a good thing. Still considering white too.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Leases on Kia Tellurides are looking pretty sweet. The high line AWD version seems to be 59% on a 12k/36 month. Money factor is whack at about 4% though. If I decide to go that route I'll probably do the math and see how much writing one cheque at lease inception saves.

Kia customers must have risky credit. That's nuts.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or Kia’s financial arm just has more expensive funding rate

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Haha knew you’d like that. I do like the Silver and agree on the wheels. Silver with the famous gold BBS’s would like sweet. I hear Subie paint is paper thin, so that might be a good thing. Still considering white too.
Yeah, as you know. Silver is the easiest to blend. Generally, paint has gotten thinner.
that film people put on cars might work for you. but i avoid it. it's your choice. the optimal would be to have a shop add more clearcoat to your bumpers, side skirts, and Hood. totally worth it.

2 things. (as a Subaru enthusiast)

Tomei expreme is some hardcore stuff- full Titanium can sound "Tinny" and "raspy". and not in a good way. it's racecar stuff.

The Exhaust for the real "Subie Rumble" is the Kakimoto 06&R. *Full Stainless, with Titanium Tips. Trust me.
(I run it on the Yellow Car, and am about to put an axle back on the Legacy)

Wheels? Everybody wants the same wheels. the BBS LM's. including me.
I want the all gold with the red logo's.
But speaking more widely on wheels? There are a plethora of more attractive options.
few things go hand in hand, more than Subaru and Work Wheels. The CR 2-piece?/3 piece? :drool:
make BBS look old school. then you got staples from Volk, and SSR. but it can be said.
Subies wear Work Wheels.

Imagine, Your new Sti. dropped an inch, on Work Cr's. rocking a full Kakimoto Exhaust. sounding like pure anger. purity.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dino944 - I have had good luck with my '16 Outback and am over 60K miles currently. The most annoying quality mine has is when you reverse, stop, then shift into drive, the car seems to think 1-2 seconds before shifting into drive. The dealer was not much help either. You don't really get used to annoyances.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Dino944 - I have had good luck with my '16 Outback and am over 60K miles currently. The most annoying quality mine has is when you reverse, stop, then shift into drive, the car seems to think 1-2 seconds before shifting into drive. The dealer was not much help either. You don't really get used to annoyances.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, you continue to have good luck with your Outback. Yes, I am sure the car having to think before shifting into gears is annoying. I've never had that happen on our Legacy. I think we are jumping ship and probably going with a Toyota this time.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Our '17 Forester has a similar habit, leading us to dub her "Lurchita". I've learned to always drop it into low when starting from a full stop, especially on a hill.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your family issues. Sounds like a rough time.

Wow, WRX, that's a big change for you! My normally aspirated 2010 Legacy has a little over 246,000 miles, but is starting to be needy and is on its way out soon. That's the most mileage anyone in my family has put on a car. Briefly considered a new Subie, but it seems over the last few years they dropped way down in terms of quality control and reliability since our last purchase 2010/2011 etc, which is a real shame. Our previous Subie a normally aspirated 2004 Legacy, was from a time when their quality was not great and it had several pricey things go, head gaskets, catalytic converter, ac compressor, lots of axle boots, etc so not venturing down that path again. I briefly looked at a few deals on WRXs, but I couldn't imagine buying a higher performance vehicle (running under higher pressures and temps) from a company with mediocre quality - sounds like a recipe for $$$$ repairs. For you it might not be so bad, if its just a weekend fun car and you are keeping your Civic.

I say skip the world rally blue...iconic maybe, but more like common, tired, and it seems like every 3rd one made is WR blue. Even one of our neighbors had one for about 2 years and it was WR blue. Get a different color, and have something that stands out from all the WR blue ones on the road.

Yes, I keep getting emails about the DBX from our local Aston dealer. Its ugly and would never be an Aston I would consider. I realize that shifting to sedans and SUVs gives them more practical vehicles to sell all year long, but I have no interest in "Soccer Mom vehicles" from Aston or from Ferrari etc.

Thanks Dino, it has brought us closer as a family, especially with my two younger sisters. They were both adopted, one is from South Korea and the other is from Kazakhstan. Growing up we were never really that close as they both had each other and I had my twin brother, today we have never been closer.

I agree it's a big leap for me from the GTI. That's awesome how reliable your 2010 Subie is, how did you put so many miles on it, considering it's two years newer then my Civic and has 100K more miles?? Hopefully the running costs won't be too crazy for such an old engine (EJ20) that has seen only several minor revisions over the years. We have several Foresters in the family. A 2014, 2016 and 2018 and they have been pretty trouble free. Our 2014 has 70K on the clock and my sisters 2016 has 50K and just normal wear and tear so far. Fingers crossed for my future dinosaur engine :fonz:

I think you're right about the World Rally Blue. @Thrift Vader concurs and he is the official Subie guy of SF. I'm considering white or Silver. Red is just asking for trouble from the boys in blue, especially with that wing.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, as you know. Silver is the easiest to blend. Generally, paint has gotten thinner.
that film people put on cars might work for you. but i avoid it. it's your choice. the optimal would be to have a shop add more clearcoat to your bumpers, side skirts, and Hood. totally worth it.

2 things. (as a Subaru enthusiast)

Tomei expreme is some hardcore stuff- full Titanium can sound "Tinny" and "raspy". and not in a good way. it's racecar stuff.

The Exhaust for the real "Subie Rumble" is the Kakimoto 06&R. *Full Stainless, with Titanium Tips. Trust me.
(I run it on the Yellow Car, and am about to put an axle back on the Legacy)

Wheels? Everybody wants the same wheels. the BBS LM's. including me.
I want the all gold with the red logo's.
But speaking more widely on wheels? There are a plethora of more attractive options.
few things go hand in hand, more than Subaru and Work Wheels. The CR 2-piece?/3 piece? :drool:
make BBS look old school. then you got staples from Volk, and SSR. but it can be said.
Subies wear Work Wheels.

Imagine, Your new Sti. dropped an inch, on Work Cr's. rocking a full Kakimoto Exhaust. sounding like pure anger. purity.

I’m not positive I would drop the Sti even a centimeter with the way the roads are here, plus I quite enjoy the stock ride height. Good advice on the wheels. I definitely will expand my options. For starters I probably will just have the OEM ones painted STI gold. I have old friends who work in the alloy wheel repair and painting industry that could give me a deal.

As far as the exhaust goes, I will probably go for a Nameless axel back for starters and eventually progress into this, which was one of the catalysts for my change of mind. It is loud though, so whether or not I can live with it will be interesting

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I’m not positive I would drop the Sti even a centimeter with the way the roads are here, plus I quite enjoy the stock ride height. Good advice on the wheels. I definitely will expand my options. For starters I probably will just have the OEM ones painted STI gold. I have old friends who work in the alloy wheel repair and painting industry that could give me a deal.

As far as the exhaust goes, I will probably go for a Nameless axel back for starters and eventually progress into this, which was one of the catalysts for my change of mind. It is loud though, so whether or not I can live with it will be interesting

I totally get being happy with ride height at stock. "The Deff Star 2.0" just feels right for daily as is also.It gets over curbs, and can handle a snow day. but the thought of adjusting to exactly my perfect height- *just gets over curbs* is always a temptation. Your car, your way.
i am just throwing options your way. Subaru world is a long way from Honda life. in all aspects. You are going to go from banging the rev limiter, to being pinned to your seat at 4,000 RPM. then shifting. Subies are low RPM cars. the meat is in the mid-range. banging the limiter will blow it (ask me how i know :lookaround: )

You can get decent economy. better in a manuel than an auto. The Turbo Subies have enough Torque to start in 2nd. and keep it in the lower RPM range. not all the time applicable. but easy enough to do often. (I often go 1.3.5 >5.3.2.1. or in traffic just between 2 and 4.)
After all, Economy on a basic level,is Capacity vs RPM. and we get decent economy.
$60 a month, driving daily? sure, why complain?. it's not bad. and that is in the Auto's.

yeah, this is just a thread for Talking shop about cars. and are all opinions.
But i will see your raspy Tomei Exhaust. and raise you.

My car sounds like this one. but better. (Tune?)

And the twin system in the newer models sounds tame, until you get on it. so that means less drone on the highway. just the heartbeat sound of the Subie burbling along. it's a deep, Barry White tone for an exhaust. where Tomei Expreme sounds like Axel Rose.

It's hard to find vids on the New STi running the Regu 06&R.
This is the sound on warm up.

mellower than a single pipe. but of course, you could get a single pipe, and sound like deep space planet collisions.
-You can get on the Forums. and start a debate about it. :lurk: -Kakimoto sounds better.
keen to see what response you would get.

Either way, Congrats. it's a whole new world. and a few months from now?
You will "understand". You can say to people, "my car is powered by Anger".

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree it's a big leap for me from the GTI. That's awesome how reliable your 2010 Subie is, how did you put so many miles on it, considering it's two years newer then my Civic and has 100K more miles?? Hopefully the running costs won't be too crazy for such an old engine (EJ20) that has seen only several minor revisions over the years. We have several Foresters in the family. A 2014, 2016 and 2018 and they have been pretty trouble free. Our 2014 has 70K on the clock and my sisters 2016 has 50K and just normal wear and tear so far. Fingers crossed for my future dinosaur engine :fonz:

I think you're right about the World Rally Blue. @Thrift Vader concurs and he is the official Subie guy of SF. I'm considering white or Silver. Red is just asking for trouble from the boys in blue, especially with that wing.

The Subie has all that mileage as its a daily driver, I do a lot of highway driving, plus we use it for all department store & grocery store trips (plenty of shopping cart scars), plus any trips to NYC or places where parking will be questionable. Its the most mileage we have ever had on any car in our family. It's starting to have some issues so we anticipate getting something new within the next few months, most likely a Toyota of some sort with AWD.

Definitely, go for silver or white. I see so many WR blue Subies on the road that its become sort of a boring color to me. Yes, red, yellow, and orange seem to be colors that the local "Revenue enhancement patrol" seem to pay particular attention to, when they set up speed traps. Looking forward to seeing pix once you get the new Subie!

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Subie has all that mileage as its a daily driver, I do a lot of highway driving, plus we use it for all department store & grocery store trips (plenty of shopping cart scars), plus any trips to NYC or places where parking will be questionable. Its the most mileage we have ever had on any car in our family. It's starting to have some issues so we anticipate getting something new within the next few months, most likely a Toyota of some sort with AWD.

Definitely, go for silver or white. I see so many WR blue Subies on the road that its become sort of a boring color to me. Yes, red, yellow, and orange seem to be colors that the local "Revenue enhancement patrol" seem to pay particular attention to, when they set up speed traps. Looking forward to seeing pix once you get the new Subie!

Please share your comparisons when shopping for a new car. Highlanders are surprisingly hitting luxury brand prices depending on how they are spec'd. I have an uncle with a Highlander I think he said was $60K when all was said and done.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
The trouble with owning a silver Subie is finding it in a ski area parking lot in the sea of similar looking silver “cross-overs”.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads