Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Haha I was slightly leery with all the engine upgrades done to it. I was going to have a local shop check it all out first.

They still bluebook for almost 12k..

2. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Hmmm, I see a lot of 5's locally for $5,000-7,000. Probably not a V8 then.

~Kurt

3. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

^^ it seems hit or miss. You'll see some guys selling ragged out 180k milers for 10k still. Other will be around 80k and going for $9000. Guess it just depends on the area.

4. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

I'm just kinda bored with my current car and want to get something a bit bigger that is interesting and fun. I'm actually back looking at Volkswagens now too haha. Someone stop me.

5. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

6. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

They're pretty sturdy cars. They're not the E28's that go to like 500K miles, but wringing 250K good, hard-running miles out of one shouldn't be a problem - they're newish (in our minds, I guess) but still from an era where the build quality was second to none.

I was half kidding about the black grilles, but on the other hand, black grilles to me signify this era of shittily internet messageboard-tuned BMWs with ugly rims, black grilles, too-low spring drops, a lot of these used cars are indeed going to be raggedy because they were owned by douches.

that one, you never know. Maybe it was taken care of, 112K miles isn't bad for a 11 year old car. A lot of these cars like this used to be two-owner cars; one time on lease or bought by an affluent geezer who'd drive the car fairly mildly, and then halfway into it's life it'd get picked up cheaper by a 'tuner' type and they end up looking like the one in the ad.

$11K isn't much but you can probably go on ebay and find one you like more for similar money. That one in the ad I might give $9K for, I wouldn't want to pay for somebody else's mods.

8. rocks

rocks Senior member

I disagree with you Drew regarding the black kidney grills and the slammed look. I have those on my jet black E46 posted a few pages back and I am as much as an enthusiast as anyone. I spend shit ton of money on preventive maintenance. As a result, my car has been extremely reliable, in over 5 years of ownership it has never left me stranded. As of today I have 135k and it runs as new. So far this year I installed new radiator and hoses which were still fine. This week I ordered new A pillars since mine started to peel. I have sunk thousands in my car and it shows. If I installed aftermarket products, it's stuff that is superior to oem. In addition, I have tons of receipt to show all that has been done to the car.

There are several E46's with well over 300k miles, slammed with black kidney grills owned by people who love these cars and spend the money to keep them looking great. Your stereotype does not resonate with me or half the other people I know with these cars. The only caution I have for people wanting to buy these cars is make sure you can afford the maintenance. Indy shops are expensive so either you have a fund reserved for upkeep or buy some tools and learn to do shit yourself. There are diy's for these cars everywhere online, from the simplest to the most complex jobs. I have done several maintenance myself and save thousands over the years. Even with the miles my car have now, you could not give me just any car to replace it with. It handles like a dream, to this day I get compliments on the styling (oem zhp kit) and the LM's.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

9. rocks

rocks Senior member

Ps. I must say though, the black grill is out of place on that car, I had a steelblue mettalic E46 in the early 2000's and replaced the oem grills with body colored kidney grills which looked so much better. As long as the maintenance records are available and there are no service lights on in the dash, I see no reason giving that car serious consideration, except the slushbox....:)

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I still wouldn't buy a used BMW with blacked out grilles. One, it doesn't compliment the car any, and two, I still feel it's like a branded sign that the car has been owned by an 'enthusiast' - and let's face it, while you know a few people who take care of their cars, there are a whole lot of raggedy ass looking used cars with aftermarket mods out there. Not that there weren't shitty used cars before, but the internet and it's messageboards for tuners, the constantly dropping prices on aftermarket mods, the DIY stuff, the ricer phenomenon in general - these have led to almost all marques of cars getting ghetto'ed out, leaving a trail of trashed cars in its wake. No brand is safe anymore. A 5-series used to be a fairly respectable car and you could count on finding a pretty clean used one anywhere; now you come across a lot of 5's with random mods - drop, blacked grilles, exhausts, incomplete tunes that just make them look odd and cheapened.

In other news, I guess the M5 is out over here now, hadn't seen any and then yesterday I saw 3 of them, all were blue... without black grilles. :deadhorse:

12. Cedric

Cedric Senior member

Ha ha

Great point,

Usually look at the taste and extent of the modifications made to it, ie; tinted taillights, headlights, stupid LED lights, cheap wheels etc..

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

13. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

Just saw one of these driving around few days ago, it gave me some batmobile vibes as it roared through the streets.

[​IMG]

whilst on the topic of M series ~ top gear's "review" of the new m5 suggests that twin turbo v8 has more torque and hp than it's v10 predecessor making it much faster (smoked it during the "race" sequence). can this be confirmed ?

14. Edgein

Edgein Senior member

Boy, those X6's are ugly. They remind me of old Infinity/Nissan crossovers. BMW makes such great engines and chassis, why can't they make 3.0CS's any more? IMHO the best looking BMW ever.

15. jet

jet Persian Bro

Drew's right, avoid anything with blacked out grills, those stupid ass silvervisions that make your corners/tails look like ebay lights and colorful roundels. You want one of those old school bmw loyalists and long time cca guy's cars, they take care of their cars the best my buddy is one of them.

There was an x6m at my buddy's shop last week, they just got done installing a 6k akrapovic exhaust on it. Cool but ugly.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012