• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The color of our Cayman S is called Dark Metallic Blue. Its actually the same color as my friends 991 Turbo S parked next to it in one photo (but his was built a year later so not even close to the paint batch when ours was painted). The lighting plays lots of tricks with this color making it look very different depending on the lighting conditions.
Ah gotcha. Dark metallic blue is a different color, which explains my mistake. Night blue is midnight blue/black - i didn’t realize caymans came in DBM

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the Cayman feel compared to your 328?

They feel completely different. Although, a lot of that can be attributed to a 25 year age difference. As for things they have in common they are both mid engine, 2 seat sports cars with manual transmissions, limited slip, and they both redline at about 7,700 RPM.

My 328 is from 1989, however, its really the final evolution of a car that was designed in the mid 1970's. It has a flat plane crank V8, with 4 valves per cylinder, and a 5 speed manual with the classic gated shifter. It can putter along in traffic at 1,500 RPM but it really prefers to live in the 3,500+ RPM range. Today, plenty of cars have a red line of 7,700 or more, but back in the 80's that wasn't the case. Contemporary Porsches had a redline of around 6,200-6,400 and Vettes redlined in the 5s. The 328 has no power steering, so parking lot speed maneuvers or parallel parking takes a lot of effort. However, get the car rolling and the steering lightens up, is precise, and has great feel. It's a wonderful car for winding roads, and has a very "high power go kart" feel to it, but not the best car for long distance highway cruising (compared to a modern car the 328 could probably have used a 6th gear for the highway to drop the RPMs a bit).

The shift pattern is the old Grand Prix style (found on older Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and the Porsche 928). So the pattern takes a bit of getting used to, but once everything is warmed up, the shifting is nice and slick, and it makes a very distinct sound as it clicks through the metal gate. The seating position feels very low, and a bit like you are reclining. In some ways it feels a bit like the old air cooled 911 3.2 Carreras, in that they both lack power steering, and the front wheel arches intrude into the interior so the pedal are skewed toward the center of the car (but you get used to that). However, the shifter feels better and far more precise than the 915 gearboxes of old 911s, and the clutch is more comfortable to use as its not floor hinged like in old 911s. Also the friction point for the clutch is super easy to find (much easier than in an old 911 or even our Cayman). You can drive a 328 for the first time and never stall the car.

The 328 interior feels narrow compared to modern cars. It feels almost like you are sitting shoulder to shoulder with your passenger. Still it has just what you need and no distractions. It also has separated heat and ac controls (as did 911s back then), and the AC is good to about 85F, much warmer than that and its ok but it struggles to keep up with the heat, as you have a huge front windshield letting sun in to bake you. It does have a surprisingly large trunk, but being behind the engine, you wouldn't put chocolates in their unless you want to make "Hot chocolate."

The Cayman, is modern, quick, precise, agile, comfortable, is easy to drive and has all the creature comforts one expects to find in a car today. It is the perfect weekend getaway car. The shift pattern is traditional, the shift action is rifle bolt action precise, the seating position is more upright, it has good visibility, you have power steering (although people complain at a bit about feel compared to the old hydraulic systems, I still think its pretty good). The interior feels more spacious. The car doesn't feel as low or quite as exotic as the 328, but then again its roofline is taller. Its chassis is rigid, but hitting bumps or uneven pavement surfaces isn't as jarring as the 328 or old 911s. You can easily hear the stereo if you want to...although with a 328 why bother, you'd be missing the best music. The Cayman is like an athlete who great at a variety of different sports. You can daily drive it in the city or suburbs, track it, or drive it cross country. The 328 is more like an athlete who is great at a single sport.

The 328 is more of an occasion to drive. Everything about it feels special and different from other cars from the seating position, the rake of the windshield, the curves of the fenders as you look out the windshield, the gated shifter, the sound of the engine and exhaust (you don't need an expensive after market exhaust to make it sound better). Its a high effort car to drive, but driving it always feels very rewarding. The 328 is a great weekend toy to go nowhere. The 328 get lots of thumbs ups and questions, and people ask to take photos of it, or to have their photo taken next to it. So most of the attention it attracts is positive. However, it also attracts attention from idiots. People who want to video you on the road and they get into your blind spot and nearly cause an accident. I've taken it to events at the local Ferrari dealer and found other Fcar owners pressing on the louvers to see what they are made of, or pressing on the Targa roof panel to see what that feels like. Or one time I was at a restaurant and parked where I could see the car. Well these rather chunky young women in a parking lot saw a guy's new M5. They ran to get their picture taken next to it, and one girl sat on the hood (I imagine the owner was heartbroken when he saw ass prints on his car hood, plus marks from the rivets in their jeans). Well anyway, I see one lady look across the lot, she sees the 328 and points at it. They they then started making their way toward my car. My wife said when I jumped out of my chair and practically hurdled over the table she wouldn't have been surprised if I just jumped through the plate glass window to save time and intercept them. Luckily, I got out there before they got to the car, and asking them if I could help them dissuaded them from their photo shoot.

For the most part Porsches don't attract as much attention (unless maybe you are in a CGT/918), so you can park it without worrying as much about it. Some of my friends who own both a Porsche and a Ferrari find their wives prefer the Porsche because they doesn't attract as much attention.

So probably more than you wanted to know. Both are great cars and are fun to drive. They are just completely different.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah gotcha. Dark metallic blue is a different color, which explains my mistake. Night blue is midnight blue/black - i didn’t realize caymans came in DBM

Yup DMB was available on the entire model line up, 981 Boxsters, Caymans (even the GT4 early in its production run, a guy in my area has one in DMB), Panameras, Macans, 991s etc

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rumors out of a German publication, the "plaid" model S destroyed the Taycan and stands with some pretty impressive competition in the 7:25-7:30 range. I am sure more will come out. Talk amongst yourselves

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will wait for independent confirmation, but i won’t be surprised if Tesla does beat the Taycan time. All it really has had to do is resolve its cooling issues to run a lap at full capability.

I’m not sure if ‘Plaid’ is a new mode, or a full new model (rumored tri-motor?). But it’s fair enough as long as Tesla offers the new car for sale.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d need to see a video also or some independent verification. It’s not like Musk and Tesla never mislead people about the car’s capabilities.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yup, though might just be a nice time to release the tri motor for Tesla

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am definitely interested in a tesla, but it's probably something I'll hold off on for 5 years or so. Audi should be releasing quite a bit by then too.

I'm probably going to trade my M2 in next year for a Mustang/Camaro LE and do a twin-turbo and built transmission. One last hurrah before the inevitable move by all away from the V8.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will wait for independent confirmation, but i won’t be surprised if Tesla does beat the Taycan time. All it really has had to do is resolve its cooling issues to run a lap at full capability.

I’m not sure if ‘Plaid’ is a new mode, or a full new model (rumored tri-motor?). But it’s fair enough as long as Tesla offers the new car for sale.

I believe we're talking tri-motor here.

I’d need to see a video also or some independent verification. It’s not like Musk and Tesla never mislead people about the car’s capabilities.

The time I saw was a journalist hand-timing it from the track. Of course we don't know what was actually inside the car, but it seems like it is a real time to within a couple seconds.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Has anyone had the oil from their Tesla analyzed?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads