• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokencycle

Reaction score
It is to my understanding there is way more power, battery range and tech hidden in the Tesla s/3/X waiting for the first Taycan to be delivered before Elon updates the software to make it marginally faster. The 'Tesla killer" won't be another car made by another company, it will be another Tesla or another owner of Tesla. A true "car guy" drove it, check out what Nico Rosberg had to say, and he did take down a GT2 RS in a P3

I disagree. I don't think Tesla survives as an independent company. They have a lot of operational issues (and I think a leadership problem) and they haven't proven they can get profitable as a result. They have missed their targets for the last three quarters, and I don't know they can survive an economic downturn when people aren't lining up to spend $30k+ on a car.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tend to agree with you. And all the robotaxi stuff is pure vaporware.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well don’t think Tesla will die, more likely if they are close to die someone with a pile of cash will just buy the whole thing

Regarding to ring time, it’s not going to be funny if Porsche loose the bragging right even before Frankfurt auto show...

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree. I don't think Tesla survives as an independent company. They have a lot of operational issues (and I think a leadership problem) and they haven't proven they can get profitable as a result. They have missed their targets for the last three quarters, and I don't know they can survive an economic downturn when people aren't lining up to spend $30k+ on a car.
They're over-valued (by a lot) at this point, and have non-trivial debt from what I recall. And while I love a lot of things they do, disruptors don't tend to be the ones who cash in...

And still somehow I give them a fighting chance - I can't explain it.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Because they were the underdog that did a lot things right?

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 5.57.16 PM.png

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I find it so bizarre that people's cars now need software updates these days.

I think Tesla might just become a battery manufacturer.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will disagree. The only two car companies never to go bankrupt? Would I purchase the equity, no i don't think it warrants the volatility. The only other person who can manipulate equity prices via twitter, worse than Musk is Trump! I do believe it stays independent, with a possibility of someone acquiring a 40-49% stake, non controlling interest. My wife's XC90 also gets software updates, but that is to keep an already outdated system from being completely obsolete. Since I got my car I have received lane departure, side collision and a security system, which really isn't standard on any car and is usually part of some upgraded package. The fact that my car keeps getting better and smarter is the genius behind it.

Also, no question he will send a uncorked Model S to the ring

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife now likes the Model 3. I need to read up on how those old Tesla roadsters are holding up, don't know how I feel about a 10 year old Tesla but some of the Model S' are 6-7 years old now.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given Moore's law, those cars are outdated. There is apparently a chip upgrade you can get, but the older cars didn't come with as many cameras and sensors. Easy to spot an older S from the nose and the triangle near the front quarter is a silver Tesla logo plate, not a camera.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on the 993 bubble? Is it a bubble? Or will it continue to go up?

I'm worried that it'll be six-digit unattainable within the next 5 years. I'm halfway done with the S3 so I'll be shopping soon for a driver-spec (not a showroom condition) 993. I could theoretically get out early, drive a beater, and get in a 993 sooner but I'll be under.

And is there such thing as an 'investment' car or is that baloney?

Last edited by a moderator:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m waiting for 993 demand to cool too. At least theoretically, if i can keep myself from spending my speculative budget on other ****.

Personally, i think some softening is likely. Irrespective of individual models, car collecting is very much driven by the economy, and things won’t be this hot forever. There’s a large supply of 993’s, and they tend to be in the hands of people who take care of them, so unless you want a Turbo S, there will be inventory. There’s already been some softening at the top of the range (the wide bodies) - i’ve been paying attention - but not enough for my taste.

Personally i think i’d be good getting into a great-condition C4S/C2S for around $60k, or a Turbo for $100k. But we’re not there yet

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I will disagree. The only two car companies never to go bankrupt? Would I purchase the equity, no i don't think it warrants the volatility. The only other person who can manipulate equity prices via twitter, worse than Musk is Trump! I do believe it stays independent, with a possibility of someone acquiring a 40-49% stake, non controlling interest. My wife's XC90 also gets software updates, but that is to keep an already outdated system from being completely obsolete. Since I got my car I have received lane departure, side collision and a security system, which really isn't standard on any car and is usually part of some upgraded package. The fact that my car keeps getting better and smarter is the genius behind it.

Also, no question he will send a uncorked Model S to the ring

Beck, what year is the XC90? My wife's new XC60 seems to have some really good and current tech and I assume the two vehicles share a common tech platform at this point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads