• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put in good-faith offers on both the entire neighborhood down the hill and the shopping center a mile away, but, alas, my efforts were rebuffed. My next solution is to build a double-walled plexiglass bubble over my property.

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I put in good-faith offers on both the entire neighborhood down the hill and the shopping center a mile away, but, alas, my efforts were rebuffed. My next solution is to build a double-walled plexiglass bubble over my property.
CA is going to require quite the environmental impact study on that. What if some newts thrive on the noise?

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I could play carefully curated noise inside the dome, 24/7. At least then it would be my noise.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can they though? The people running the show are not the same as 20 years ago. Nothing in their current product portfolio is decidedly better than the competition in ride/handling or driving dynamics—in fact, much of it actually lags. Other makers have shown much stronger proficiency at keeping weight down, tuning EPAS for feel, mitigating turbo lag, controlling torque delivery, etc.

The tragedy of BMW is not just that everyone else caught up, but that the company seems to be retreating in the opposite direction.
Steering feel, probably not, everything else is still there.

I didn’t drive anything with S55, S58 engine but B58/B48 has no noticeable lag and probably best engine in the segment, no reviewer seem to complain about turbo lag in any of the V8 either (550/M5).

And if you want “fun” kind of throwing around 2 series and yes i8 is still there, they just decided different priority for the rest of the segment (outside M car), though I suppose the true testament would be what the new M3/4 can do

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As to active noise, i’m not sure which way it should swing, my 540 is very insulated, can’t really hear any engine noise even at 90 mph...

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn’t realize you were the adjudicator of true perspective here.
I've clocked over 100,000 miles behind the wheel of Porsches. I've also daily driven Porsches. He rode in your car for a few hours. So sorry, I just don't think his perception as a passenger one time has much meaning.

Even your opinion is at best based on some initial impressions from some Sunday drives, not daily driving in traffic at rush out etc. You've put what, 1,200 to 1,500 miles on your GT3? You also didn't own a car for what a decade? So much of your experience is based on what... things you read on the internet or magazines? The GT3 is a fantastic car, but I've never heard anyone other than you and your one time passenger say it's a great daily driver. You really think its a great daily driver...prove it and and daily drive that thing for the next year or 2.

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best car I test drove for a DD was the Lexus LS. Car felt like it was floating on air absorbing all the bumps in the road like it was nothing.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best car I test drove for a DD was the Lexus LS. Car felt like it was floating on air absorbing all the bumps in the road like it was nothing.
LS430 or LS460? I wasn't much a fan of the 430 but the 460L is my all time favorite full size luxury sedan, even more so then Bentley/Rolls Royce. Steering was effortless and the speed was very impressive for its size and weight. I worked at Lexus before getting hired by Ferrari, had some amazing times.

I much prefer the 2009-2010, as the newer stuff looked too much like the ES. Plus there's the awful new fake-ish grills that Lexus seems to be using on almost every model now. In nearly 3 years I never felt the sway issue (mentioned above), so I'm not discounting that, but it wasn't noticed.

LS 2.jpg
LS.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm just going to say why I'm on my fourth douchemobile is because it excels at being a good DD.

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LS430 or LS460? I wasn't much a fan of the 430 but the 460L is my all time favorite full size luxury sedan, even more so then Bentley/Rolls Royce. Steering was effortless and the speed was very impressive for its size and weight. I worked at Lexus before getting hired by Ferrari, had some amazing times.

I much prefer the 2009-2010, as the newer stuff looked too much like the ES. Plus there's the awful new fake-ish grills that Lexus seems to be using on almost every model now. In nearly 3 years I never felt the sway issue (mentioned above), so I'm not discounting that, but it wasn't noticed.

View attachment 1225648View attachment 1225649
The 460. This was a 2016 model when I was looking to get a new car back in the summer of 2015. I test drove the GS (car sucked), LS (rode really smooth), Tesla S (too sterile), and E550 (enjoyed this car also). I ended up with a C63S.

I wasn’t concerned with the lap times around the Ring for any of those cars. I’m sure if I had the money and could afford an AMG GTS or Porsche GT, I’d care about the Ring time.

brokencycle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The 460. This was a 2016 model when I was looking to get a new car back in the summer of 2015. I test drove the GS (car sucked), LS (rode really smooth), Tesla S (too sterile), and E550 (enjoyed this car also). I ended up with a C63S.

I wasn’t concerned with the lap times around the Ring for any of those cars. I’m sure if I had the money and could afford an AMG GTS or Porsche GT, I’d care about the Ring time.
I've had some of the newer GS models as a loaner, and I agree. I really hate the infotainment system on them. The newer ones seem to get generally good reviews, but between being annoyed by the Lexus dealer by me and the infotainment system, I haven't really considered them although a bit tempted to try a certified GS F as the depreciation was crazy high for awhile.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.