Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

yeah but that P400 and P500 is just in the burn, and doesn't actually turn cylinders off as they used to do with the V12, right? I actually haven't had a car in so long that I forget that all these new technology-laden cars have things like eco mode :eek: Last car (B6 A4) had decent headlights, seat heaters and a CD changer, no iPod connector... :eek:

2. impolyt_one

All these new cars with LED headlights are pretty 'wow' upon first sight - seems like every car here has xenons except for the old school taxis, but the LEDs really stand out even amongst all the blue-white light.

3. A Y

A Y Senior member

I don't think BMW ever used cylinder deactivation in any of their engines. The E60 M5 let the throttle butterflies open to only 90% making only 400 HP unless you pressed the power button which gave you full intake and 500 HP.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It's due to European environmental law, the new 63 amg's are at least 1k$ cheaper in road tax, than the old ones.

The eco mode makes them "eco friendly", as the road tax is calculated from the mileage per litre, also they have live up to certain norms euro4, euro5 etc. the higher the number, the longer the engine is approved for.

It's the same thing the new rounder front ends, as they have to be pedestrian friendly, if there' such a thing. :rolleyes:

My old A3 didn't have a cup holder, so bottles had to go in between the back and forth handle on the seat and the seat. :laugh:

5. epb

epb Senior member

Looks familiar. :)

[​IMG]

6. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

i mean, obviously do what you want and like, but i think that dude's car looks terrible with the tinted lights. just my opinion, of course.

8. impolyt_one

I agree, hate tinted tails, those are possibly the worst mod ever, and affect function as well. Tinted-over tails are just one step closer to Asantis and Bentley grilling.

9. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

the worst ever was the euro lights. I'd take tinted over euro ANY DAY (but I still don't like tinted).

10. impolyt_one

The old smoked lights from the 90's worked (and pretty much only on dark cars) because the lenses were actually non-colored, they were smoke lenses over colored bulbs. It wasn't a sprayed-out/laminated look, it was much cleaner. Also, these are way in the past now, and just a remnant of the mid 90's 'euro' scene more than anything:

[​IMG]

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Oh man, euro tails plus those graphic sticker Fast & the Furious movie started were the worst.

12. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

man, I know guys who were from well off families who could have purchased them BMWs, Benzes, but they chose to buy stupid civics and 'customize' them.....

that was a cancerous trend that swept up the entire world man.....

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

13. SField

SField Senior member

I bought that kid who works for me a car to use. I got a Saab 9-5 ARC turbo from 2005. It has about 80k miles. I figured owning a 4 seater might be useful since my other car is a tiny 2 seater.

I've taken it out a few times and it's really fun to drive actually.

14. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Euro lights?

Edit:

They are called Lexus lights in europe.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012

15. impolyt_one

Yeah they were basically known as 'Altezzas' in America too, 'euro lights' was the trashy name given to the really outlier versions, like APC (lol, not the clothing company) ones for Civic coupes and the like. It might entertain actual European people to find out what was referred to as a 'euro' back in 1990's America - anything from a Toyota pickup on hydraulics and 60-spoke wire rims to a domestic US-made Chevy compact car was referred to as a 'euro' back then. It was a horrible, horrible time.