Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jrocker

jrocker Member

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

It's more discreet. I normally like cars with bright colors (I have 2 red cars), but for something big like that, black seems like the right color.

3. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Still not sure what you mean. Scoops? The two vents on the hood? It's not even like it's some muscle car hood scope. Too many edges? It's no Cadillac CTSV either. Sure it's not sleek like an Aston Martin but it certainly isn't as ugly as the 370Z. It looks proportionate and is a homage to the R34.
    [​IMG]

4. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

[​IMG]

yours is nice: 16 ventiler?

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

there's just too much going on, IMO. realizing that there is no accounting for nor debating taste, here goes:

the front bumper has so much air venting - either to the radiator and intercooler or to the front brakes, that combined with the air dam/chin spoiler

the two front fenders are necessarily wide to accommodate the rubber, but combined with the air ducting in the rear it makes the front look cartoonish. again, i know a lot of people like this judging from all the widebody kits i see on all manner of cars. but it's too over the top for me.

i'm sure that edge on the beltline serves some kind of function but on a gray like that it adds 'busyness' to the looks.

again, i think it is an amazing car, it's just not as beautiful to my eyes as its competition. but if you bought it in black, the dark color hides a lot of the flaws (btw i know the wheels are aftermarket but this shows what i mean):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

Drop and wheels cure a lot of the gtrs shortcomings but it's just looks like a big fat bloated pig. R32 fo lyfe.

7. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

your fat bloated pig to me looks like mean and beefy japanese muscle. to each his own, but like I said it was never aspiring to be a ferrari or aston

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

The GT-R looks OK because a lot of its visual features are functional, so there is some beauty in that. But it is definitely from the school of Japanese nerd aesthetics, which also includes the Evo and STi. When I stand next to a GT-R, I'm always surprised at how big the car actually is.

9. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

The GTR is huge, but I think the R35 was styled based on some anime'ish and video game themes, it's not 100% function like the previous three GT-R's, which came from a different school of Japanese car design. But it is definitely too big, a Porsche would be way easier to own in Japan. :eek:

10. impolyt_one

I have gotten more serious about researching some cars I am interested in lately; saw a bunch of styleforum usernames on some car boards, lol. I don't think they post in this thread either, but I recognized some of the guys on M5board from SW+D...
    I am still not ready to bite the bullet because I plan on going traveling most of this year, at least til fall comes around, so there's no point in garaging a car with a registration that is getting depleted while I'm away... but now that the F10 M5 is out, the E60's over here finally hit rock bottom overnight and they're looking like US M5 prices - they're cheaper than M3 4-doors of the same year at this point. :confused: They're so cheap now, it's really tempting - I don't love the M5, but it's far and away the most car I could get for that kind of price, and if I got the standard financing through BMW Japan the payment would be like, $150/month, lol. no joke.
    Kind of worried about the clutch and SMG stories, should I be worried about the overall health of the S85? The car would come with 2 years of warranty, so I'd maybe have to think about dumping it after that... I can handle the 10mpg and the occasional fix, but if it's a relatively new BMW 5-series, I expect it to be relatively hassle free...

11. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

If you were getting it through main dealer wouldn't it have warranty left? In the UK buying an Approved Used lets you have a 3 year warranty for like £2,000

12. impolyt_one

yeah it would come with 2 years of warranty, they give less warranty on cars here as new, less on CPOs too. I'd buy a 'premium approved' (CPO) car from the dealer.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

What are you currently driving right now? For $150 a month, even if you travel a lot this year, it'll be a good car to comes home too though not ideal. Travelling might actually even help you from getting any problems with the car. Just depends how used and how many mileage the used car has. If it has low mileage and you'd average less than 10k miles a year, then I would guess the chance of the car breaking down will be pretty low.

Although if I were in your shoes and will be traveling a lot, I'd probably prefer coming home to something fun to drive, like a weekend car you'd look forward to driving to. Doesn't even have to be something super expensive, maybe a 997? With the 991 out, how much is the 997 going for?

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

$150 a month to drive an e60 m5?

fuck. my cell phone bill is $100 a month.

15. impolyt_one

lol, it's not gonna be $150 a month to own and operate, that's just how much I'd probably be into BMW Financial for every month, plus a down payment and a deferred payment. An M5 is thirsty, it'd cost plenty to own. Any car would cost too much to just park.

The M5 is a great deal right now, there aren't too many 500hp+ cars for what a used M5 goes for, they're about what a brand new 328 costs here.

I'm just kind of worried about the SMG, the clutch - is the E60 M5 really worth it? It sounds like it has the potential to be a real bucket... which is not really my experience with BMWs. Are there any other S85 issues?