• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ran some numbers based on greenhouse gas emission percentages (EPA) and the relative 100-year global warming potential of each greenhouse gas (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration).

Punch line is that the U.S. transportation sector (including commercial vehicles, airplanes, etc.) comprises only 0.5% of the country's hypothetical global warming impact. Passenger vehicles are responsible for about 40% of that amount.

According to government data, the main culprit of anthropogenic global warming is refrigeration and air conditioning, which is responsible for 82% of the U.S.'s hypothetical global warming impact.

What is my math missing? Why do we care about reducing automobile emissions when the benefit of cutting them to zero would be a rounding error?

View attachment 1194584
Can’t reduce refrigeration. That’s too important to the food supply.

AC on the other hand is a luxury that’s really hard to cut. I’ve been trying to lower my electric bill by reducing my AC usage in my house and not just sitting at home sucking up AC. It’s tough.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can’t reduce refrigeration. That’s too important to the food supply.

AC on the other hand is a luxury that’s really hard to cut. I’ve been trying to lower my electric bill by reducing my AC usage in my house and not just sitting at home sucking up AC. It’s tough.
Yes, but that doesn’t make focusing on automobile emissions any more sensible.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You should see my Mini Cooper, the whole center dash and console is one huge honking speedometer. Not coincidentally, it’s the car i get nagged for speeding in the most.

Texasmade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, but that doesn’t make focusing on automobile emissions any more sensible.
It’s easier to force ppl to have less polluting cars vs having them do something that can do real change.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You should see my Mini Cooper, the whole center dash and console is one huge honking speedometer. Not coincidentally, it’s the car i get nagged for speeding in the most.
How many cars do you own, man?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey this just closed a minute ago - seems like a good buy price

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, I know what the dash looks like on those, a buddy used to have the JCW edition (I can't remember if you have the same version).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New Shelby GT500 has 760hp and 625 ft./lbs torque. It's supposedly a track car more than a straight line car, so it'll be interesting to see the reviews and lap times. Though it won't have the same great sound as the GT350
Love the looks, but I’d take the GT350R over it in a heartbeat. We don’t need more power these days.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol and Mustang drivers can’t keep from crashing with 300 hp. What are they gonna do with 760??
To be fair, you can find crashes with any sports car. Mustang is just very affordable, so there's more out there. I believe the crashes were more common when they had a live axel, pre S550 model

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.