• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The CSi was a special thing - it’s really the only true M8 (as opposed to the current one that’s a rebadged M6). Limited production too. I never got to drive it, but I seriously geeked out over it.
True, down the the S-VIN (vs. W for non-M cars, at least in that era - the late 80's was the introduction-point for that distinction).

With that said, we had a 850ci in the family (MIL’s BF) for awhile and that thing would be seriously outgunned today, even by regular cars. I suppose you could say that for any 20 year old car, though - but the BMW’s of that generation really feel it because they aren’t tuned to have torque

I wouldn’t mind one today, but would want it more for the cool factor, which it has in spades, than for anything else.
The difference between the Ci and CSi is significant - goes from a lux coupe to a wolf-in-sheep's-clothing kind of thing. Not exotic, but it's going to answer the bell when your right foot makes a decision, and sounds pretty darn good too.

I wish BMW had made the M8 - they were being a bit indecisive about the ///M line, and of course the economy wasn't doing well at all around that time either - but it would have been an interesting car. At the last show I went to a guy brought the Alpina version (B12 I think), that was a pretty sexy beast:

(though I'm pretty sure that it's an auto, which seems to be Alpina's preference, so not really the M8-that-never-was in my mind)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
True, down the the S-VIN (vs. W for non-M cars, at least in that era - the late 80's was the introduction-point for that distinction).

The difference between the Ci and CSi is significant - goes from a lux coupe to a wolf-in-sheep's-clothing kind of thing. Not exotic, but it's going to answer the bell when your right foot makes a decision, and sounds pretty darn good too.

I wish BMW had made the M8 - they were being a bit indecisive about the ///M line, and of course the economy wasn't doing well at all around that time either - but it would have been an interesting car. At the last show I went to a guy brought the Alpina version (B12 I think), that was a pretty sexy beast:

(though I'm pretty sure that it's an auto, which seems to be Alpina's preference, so not really the M8-that-never-was in my mind)
They’re truly something else. Off the top of my head, i can’t name a non-exotic car that has as much road presence.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The CSi was a special thing - it’s really the only true M8 (as opposed to the current one that’s a rebadged M6). Limited production too. I never got to drive it, but I seriously geeked out over it.

With that said, we had a 850ci in the family (MIL’s BF) for awhile and that thing would be seriously outgunned today, even by regular cars. I suppose you could say that for any 20 year old car, though - but the BMW’s of that generation really feel it because they aren’t tuned to have torque

I wouldn’t mind one today, but would want it more for the cool factor, which it has in spades, than for anything else.
Where do these fall under the BMW hierarchy? I would imagine they don't get grouped into the Z3 or Z4 category, as those are budget by comparison. As rare and spendy these are I've driven 3 separate ones.
Edison-20120316-00214.jpg

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Beautiful cars, but not exactly how I endeavour to spend $200k on a car.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where do these fall under the BMW hierarchy? I would imagine they don't get grouped into the Z3 or Z4 category, as those are budget by comparison. As rare and spendy these are I've driven 3 separate ones.View attachment 1194463
I think, fabulous instant classic that got instantly overlooked as soon as it came out, possibly because it was more expensive than any Porsche.

But it was the powertrain from the best-ever M5 underneath a body that was the modern interpretation of one of the more beautiful cars ever penned - the 507. I certainly regret overlooking it.

I’ve not been alive for all of BMW’s history, but i think that they made four true halo cars in their history - the 507, the M1, the Z8, and the i8. The first three being legendary, and the fourth one...well let’s forget about that.

Interestingly enough, all four of those cars were financial misadventures and/or initial sales flops for BMW

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ran some numbers based on greenhouse gas emission percentages (EPA) and the relative 100-year global warming potential of each greenhouse gas (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration).

Punch line is that the U.S. transportation sector (including commercial vehicles, airplanes, etc.) comprises only 0.5% of the country's hypothetical global warming impact. Passenger vehicles are responsible for about 40% of that amount.

According to government data, the main culprit of anthropogenic global warming is refrigeration and air conditioning, which is responsible for 82% of the U.S.'s hypothetical global warming impact.

What is my math missing? Why do we care about reducing automobile emissions when the benefit of cutting them to zero would be a rounding error?

Last edited:

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think, fabulous instant classic that got instantly overlooked as soon as it came out, possibly because it was more expensive than any Porsche.

But it was the powertrain from the best-ever M5 underneath a body that was the modern interpretation of one of the more beautiful cars ever penned - the 507. I certainly regret overlooking it.

I’ve not been alive for all of BMW’s history, but i think that they made four true halo cars in their history - the 507, the M1, the Z8, and the i8. The first three being legendary, and the fourth one...well let’s forget about that.

Interestingly enough, all four of those cars were financial misadventures and/or initial sales flops for BMW
The M1 today is appreciated in the same light as the Countach, Testerossa and Slantnose. It's a beautiful car...unlike the I8 which is an ugly duckling

I'll always equate the Z8 to James Bond, as do many. For that I don't think it's overlooked, even if that's one of my least favorite Pierce Brosnan films.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do these fall under the BMW hierarchy? I would imagine they don't get grouped into the Z3 or Z4 category, as those are budget by comparison. As rare and spendy these are I've driven 3 separate ones.View attachment 1194463
Great engine, the rest of the car for me... meh. I had read the build quality on them was questionable, and while its good looking, it doesn't really do much for me. Its sort of from that time period when manufacturers were giving us modern retro cars like the modern VW Bug and the Thunderbird. To me the most impressive thing is the price of them today. Its never been on my list of dream cars, but clearly it appeals to some people.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ran some numbers based on greenhouse gas emission percentages (EPA) and the relative 100-year global warming potential of each greenhouse gas (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration).

Punch line is that the U.S. transportation sector (including commercial vehicles, airplanes, etc.) comprises only 0.5% of the country's hypothetical global warming impact. Passenger vehicles are responsible for about 40% of that amount.

According to government data, the main culprit of anthropogenic global warming is refrigeration and air conditioning, which is responsible for 82% of the U.S.'s hypothetical global warming impact.

What is my math missing? Why do we care about reducing automobile emissions when the benefit of cutting them to zero would be a rounding error?

Because it sounds good to politicians.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.