• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the last great NA, manual, RWD V12 car built? I think the last two offered for sale were the Ferrari 599 and the Aston Martin V12 Vantage, but i find both of them to be meh.

Heavy Aston's are kinda a joke and rather slow by comparison, beautiful to look at though. I've driven both NA Manual V12 variants side by side.

Funny I don't get "meh" out of this:

brokencycle

Reaction score
What claims? Straw men? The fact that you can't connect two dots doesn't make one a straw man.

You: Millennial aren't buying Porsche
Me: Current owners conflate opinion with fact (i.e. Maybe because Porsche owners are assholes that turn off non-owners to the brand)
You: You consider numbers subjective?
*jokes about your rant on colors*
You: Start name calling

How is the bolded not a straw man? You tried countering an argument I didn't make.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heavy Aston's are kinda a joke and rather slow by comparison, beautiful to look at though. I've driven both NA Manual V12 variants side by side.

Funny I don't get "meh" out of this:

It’s the looks. First V12 Ferrari that i found to be somewhat ugly, and it went downhill from there. IMO of course.

I guess that means peak V12 Ferrari for me is the 550/575 Maranello. With apologies of course to the F50 and Enzo, which are not on my list simply because i don’t think i’ll ever afford them

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the last great NA, manual, RWD V12 car built? I think the last two offered for sale were the Ferrari 599 and the Aston Martin V12 Vantage, but i find both of them to be meh.

Maybe the 550 (EDIT: didn't see your response before I posted). I also like the way the 612 looks but it's got rear seats and we know you ain't got time for those.

It really depends on your definition of "great" though - are you looking for a brute to you can enjoy at WOT or do you want something more nimble (in which case I suppose you wouldn't be looking at front engine V-12s).

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe the 550 (EDIT: didn't see your response before I posted). I also like the way the 612 looks but it's got rear seats and we know you ain't got time for those.

It really depends on your definition of "great" though - are you looking for a brute to you can enjoy at WOT or do you want something more nimble (in which case I suppose you wouldn't be looking at front engine V-12s).
I suppose it’s the brutish grand tourers we have to stick with. Because F50s and Zondas are purely a fantasy for most (all?) people here

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s the looks. First V12 Ferrari that i found to be somewhat ugly, and it went downhill from there. IMO of course.

I guess that means peak V12 Ferrari for me is the 550/575 Maranello. With apologies of course to the F50 and Enzo, which are not on my list simply because i don’t think i’ll ever afford them

With Ferrari's elimination of the manual transmission, prices for one are slowly climbing back up. I'm not saying cars like the 550 or 575 are going to be in the same league as the F50, but they will be far out of reach for most buyers looking for something V12, NA, manual, and nearing 20 years old.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You: Millennial aren't buying Porsche
Me: Current owners conflate opinion with fact (i.e. Maybe because Porsche owners are assholes that turn off non-owners to the brand)
You: You consider numbers subjective?
*jokes about your rant on colors*
You: Start name calling

How is the bolded not a straw man? You tried countering an argument I didn't make.

Your claim/argument was that I "conflate opinion with fact."

I had immediately prior presented curb weights for each generation of 911 since the 964 to show that popular opinions about how the car is changing are often wrong and don't comport with factual evidence.

By referring to those "numbers" I was showing that I did not conflate fact and opinion in that instance. If you have another example in mind, you are free to point it out.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With Ferrari's elimination of the manual transmission, prices for one are slowly climbing back up. I'm not saying cars like the 550 or 575 are going to be in the same league as the F50, but they will be far out of reach for most buyers looking for something V12, NA, manual, and nearing 20 years old.

I think we're past where the prices are "slowly climbing back up." I think they are already there. Don't know if they will continue increasing, but people are clearly clamoring for any contemporary manual Ferrari they can get their hands on.

Not many folks make V12s. Ferrari is the usual suspect, but their contemporary V12 cars have all been grand tourers and thus less likely to be remembered particularly fondly by enthusiasts.

Other than Lambo, what other major manufacturer puts a V12 in a "serious" sports car? Hard time thinking of any, boutique makers like Pagani aside.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So a quick Autotrader search, with the necessary filters set and an arbitrary price ceiling of $100k, shows a bunch of BMW 850i’s, various Astons Martins, and Ferrari 456 and 612’s.

And then....there’s these two gems. This is exactly how i get myself in trouble all the time.

Ok, the Testarossa is a dumb idea for many different reasons, but still....

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
McLaren F1 was RWD, manual, and had a mid-mounted naturally aspirated V12. Arguably greatest car ever put on the road. So, the question boils down to: anything remotely as great since 1998?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So a quick Autotrader search, with the necessary filters set and an arbitrary price ceiling of $100k, shows a bunch of BMW 850i’s, various Astons Martins, and Ferrari 456 and 612’s.

And then....there’s these two gems. This is exactly how i get myself in trouble all the time.

Ok, the Testarossa is a dumb idea for many different reasons, but still....

Yeah, I think the F1 takes it.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
****, i have to move the goalposts a bit. So what’s the last, greatest peak V12 car that a StyFo mediumtimer is likely to afford in the next 5 years?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
****, i have to move the goalposts a bit. So what’s the last, greatest peak V12 car that a StyFo mediumtimer is likely to afford in the next 5 years?

I dunno. They're all kind of meh. BMW 8-series anyone?

If it were a truly awesome stick-shift sports car with a V12, medium-timer status ain't gonna cut it.

OtterMeanGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we're past where the prices are "slowly climbing back up." I think they are already there. Don't know if they will continue increasing, but people are clearly clamoring for any contemporary manual Ferrari they can get their hands on.

Not many folks make V12s. Ferrari is the usual suspect, but their contemporary V12 cars have all been grand tourers and thus less likely to be remembered particularly fondly by enthusiasts.

Other than Lambo, what other major manufacturer puts a V12 in a "serious" sports car? Hard time thinking of any, boutique makers like Pagani aside.
Last "serious" V12 I can think of is the Ferrari 599 GTO. That thing was an absolute beast of a car, with a sound that literally scared me each time I hit the engine start button. I thought it was very befitting and deserving to wear the GTO badge. I would rather have one of these then an F12 TDF, simply because its power I can use on the street and not just a track car on the weekends. Sure it's not a manual, which does take some points away, but the sound and ride is all there.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Phaeton.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads