Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Handsome car, but it's so big that I just can't see myself in the driver's seat of that thing. I'm like 5'8, 130'ish lbs - I would look better having some white-gloved manservant driving me around in that thing to all of the places I am trying to get fat at. :eek: My wife is like 100 lbs, same fate.

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Where does the A7 fit in? Lest out the A3 as well. And yes they share the same "look" but I can easily tell one from the other when it comes to MB and BMW. With the Audi, debadge it and put a picture up where size isn't distinguishable and I will have a hard time telling one from the other. I mean come on, Audi themselves admits it and is changing it, there really is argument from that. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I currently own a Lexus and a BMW and I can honestly say I hate where their new designs are heading along with MB.

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

LOL no, Audi isn't at the top of the list in Germany not even close, it's Mercedes, BMW and Audi at the bottom, the S8 has a rep for being a money pit here, especially the old ones.

The S class is the number 1 choice for limos etc., until last year pretty much all danish taxis were C or E classes and the same was/is the case in most north european contries, as MB has a rep for being extremely reliable and it's not uncommon to see an old merc with well over 400k km on it.

SUV's and luxury saloon are VERY big compared to the most common cars on the streets in europe and they are by no means discreet.

Choosing between an S class, 7xx or A/S8, I would get a bmw x drive.

The only thing people will notice is the sound and how many people, who aren't car guys, can tell a V6, V8, V10 and V12 apart.

LOL, they have just updated the whole range, just to figure out afterwards "you know what, they all look the same and neither of them are good looking" :sarcasm:

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Audis sizing is 1 < 8, so the A7 is right in between 6 and 8, as a sporty alternative to the A8.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Well duh! :lol: Doesn't really get any easier than just counting from 1-8 to figure out where one fits in.
    I was asking him in comparison to BMW and MB.

6. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

the 7 is basically a 6 with a fastback, same chassis, new model line, not one of the basics
    same for the A3, BMW's eqivilent is the 1 series, both are recent additons to the line, they would slot in below the BMw 3/Audi 4 lines

from the same angle BMW's are morphing into a common corporate look, have been for yeas, same with MB

standing at the dealer and looking at the cars there is no way to confuse an A4 with an A8, irrespective of size, at least to my eye

to put size in persective
    A8 202.6"
    BMW 3 182"

20" may sound like a lot, but only it's a bit over 10%

a MB S550 is 207.5 or so

yep, they are large cars, but no so large by US stds (they might be classified as mid-size by DOT and EPA, the RS4 is a compact)

7. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

I thought it was a silly question :rotflmao:

The first a3 (8L) came out in 97.

8. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

I was about to say, the A3 has been around for a while now.
    The A1 is their new addition to the line-up.

9. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

2011 German sales
    BMW 7 5000
    A8 4800
    MB S 4700
    pretty close

A lot of stuff I've read from the German press (auto, motor und sport, sport auto, etc.) have been ranking Audi ahead in many cases
    some of the German websites I frequent give me the same impression

imo over the last 10 years, quality wise
    BMW and MB have been going down and Audi up, same for the product design, and at this point they are all about equal

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I think people are referring to brand cachet here - Audi had virtually none until fairly recent times, and even still, I think people consider it to be the choice you go with if you're trying to avoid the reputation that goes along with owning a BMW or MB.

I just saw a new A6 with every option on it, it was really nice actually. I felt like I was looking at something futuristic, almost... did not expect to say that and 'A6' in the same sentence.

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Aren't we talking where they rank status wise and not which is the better car, as that is a completely difference discussion and a matter of what you need, also the A8 is brand new, the 7xx is from 08 and the s class is about the same age if I remember correctly, so it's not really fair to compare them in that manner.

MB dropped the ball in the early 00's on the quality, as a way to cut costs, but they have since changed that, personally I would rank bmw's build quality over mb and audi, which is the same thing most motor journalists say.

12. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

the A3 has been in the states <5 years
    and in the history of say the 5 series, 1997 is recent as opposed to 1977 or so
    BMW 1 is how old?

an S8 is only 22" longer than a 911 (991)
    not a large car by US standards...

EPA classification http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass/Midsize_Cars2012.shtml
    A8 mid-size (A8L is a large as is the 740i and 740iL) http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass/Large_Cars2012.shtml
    a ford taurus is a large

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Audis quality has gone up but MB is still way ahead of Audi. And BMW seemed to have stayed the same.
    [​IMG]

14. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

I was talking about which car is 'better' based on what car people think, not status seekers
    the sales numbers for previous years are similar

15. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

The A3 has been out for longer than that. I know this for a fact because I was considering the A3 5 years ago when I bought my Lexus and the A3 has been out for about 2-3 years already.