Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

good call. I feel the same way. It just doesn't do me right seeing them convertible edit: how much is the rapide? still haven't seen one on the road

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Just for fun for those looking for super saloons.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

I want awd and German :D (the Panamera has caught my eye, but Porsche might be a bit too much, see below)
    plus those might be too rich for my blood, and I'd have to travel far for service, I like doing basic stuff myself

if I rolled up to a clients meeting (they drive pick-ups) they would get all kinds of ideas (mostly the wrong ones)
    In an Audi, BMW or MB, which is still 'rich' to them, but far more common, the masi and aston are too unique and 'fancy'
    I represent many muni governments and authorities, and appearences do matter, and can go both ways...
    a small sacrifice but a necessary one

4. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

the Porsche (although it is the turbo) I have fallen in love with. Not because of its looks, but when my buddy roars around cottage country with that beast, it's the fastest fucking car I've been in. Interior is beautiful too, and if you can live with the exterior its a great fucking car.

and to you Arthur, I know what you mean. That's the reason my stepdad has the M56. It's an understated car that people really think is worth a lot less than it really is which is good for his business, his business at least.

5. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

If only we got the RS6 [​IMG]

Also, don't think I'd ever go back to BMW from what I've been through with the old 335 fiasco with the N54. Had 2 HPFP's crap out on me, in a row, in a brand new car.

6. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

You have an RS4 that you use to drive clients around in? I would imagine you'd want a bigger sedan to drive these guys around in. I say get yourself a Genesis sedan for the clients and get an R8 for yourself.

7. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

The panamera S (awd) would be sweet, they look like crap in pics, but on the road, pretty imposing (finally have one in my town, black)

these guys are retired mill workers and miners, and are old school, it just wouldn't be wise
    most wouldn't care, but who knows, if I drive an S8 or M5 instead of a masi/aston/etc., it's a small 'sacrifice' to make a really good living
    besides, 100k is my barrier for a car, but that leaves a lot of nice options in 1-2 year old 10-20k mile CPO'ed cars

8. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

Quote:
    Talking to me? I have no need for a sedan.
    Speaking of fastest cars you've been in, my buddy has a 06 e46 HPF m3 stage 2.5. Thing runs 110 and meth with built internals. [​IMG]

9. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

affirmative, they get a kick out of it, and I can tell them I bought used for less the cost of a big tricked out pick-up
    I usually only have 1 or 2 with me, but most are older gents and the car is easy to get in and out of
    I spend a lot of time travelling to/with clients, so a car I can enjoy (and get reimbused for) makes sense, plus I only want one car to worry about (my 951 is old, paid for, and just a hobby), it's a compromise, but a small one in the grand scheme of things
    I plan on selling out my shares and retiring (or doing some consulting) in a few years, and then the R8 will be more viable

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Nah, talking to Arthur.

11. A Y

A Y Senior member

The Panamera is unbelievably fast. C&D's latest lightning lap had the Turbo S version carrying the 2nd highest minimum speeds in some of the turns, beating out far more focused sports cars (like a GT3). Overall lap time was 3rd only after the ZR1 and GT-R.

http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...2012-ll2-class-page-4#arobertfrostpoemsidebar

I've kind of flipped on my opinion of its looks: it is ungainly, awkward, and just ugly. The BMW 5GT by comparison looks well-resolved.

12. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

Totally opposite for me. The Pan has grown on me but just in terms of look my favorite coupe-sedan is the A7

13. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Starts at around $210k.

And yes, the Panamera Turbo is one insane vehicle. Still hard to get past the looks but it's definitely a head turner.

14. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

The looks have been growing on me (thought I'd still probably go for something else); I see quite a few of these and the Mas Quattroportes in NYC, still haven't seen a Rapide in the wild.

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Your line of thinking about "appearances" is why I'm thinking of going more low key - at least in terms of brand recognition - with the purchase of my next daily. I still want great performance and luxury appointments, but I think I need to have a lower profile for this one, an S8 maybe.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012