Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

Test drove this today:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

I would have said the above is more true with Range Rovers instead of LC's, since the Range Rover resale is so crappy. As a general rule, if someone is driving a late model Land Cruiser around here, it's typical that they will be less of a douchebag than the person driving a Lexus LX or Range Rover. Unfortunately we wanted something slightly bigger so we went with the Sequoia instead, but I personally prefer the Land Cruiser by a large margin. I think it's the perfect size for an SUV...easy to park, but high up, built like a tank, and seats for 7 if you need them.

And we're the family that actually does take its SUV's off road, or I would have just bought a minivan for the wife and saved shitloads of gas and $20k.

3. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Why not a minivan and then something used/cheaper for off roading?!

4. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

My mother drives a LC and I have to say those things are tanks. They're pretty spacious without feeling bloated. My only gripe with it is that it's kind of underpowered for how much it weighs.

5. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

It's a bit of a unique situation we have, in that we own a ranch that is exactly 500 miles from our house (in the same state of course...God Bless Texas), and just getting to our ranch house might require 4x4 depending on the time of the year. So it's not really practical for us to have separate vehicles, though I would agree that if we were normal recreational off-roaders, that would be the ticket.

Kuki, I assume your mom's LC is pre-2008? If so, tell her to get a new one. The current engine (same as in my Sequoia) is a beast.

6. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

Yeah, it's like a 2000 I think with 300k miles, it's still going strong though. I think she's getting a new LX because it's basically the same thing just with Lexus touches.

7. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

How did it drive compared with the 997? I saw the first one of these on the road last week and it really does look great. I'm hoping to talk the wifey into letting me get a used 997 in a year or so, when the prices have hopefully gone down due to trade-ins for 991's. Damn I love these cars.

8. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

I currently have a 997 Carrera S and let me say this one defiantly a step up. It's actually a lot bigger then it looks in real life compared to pictures. The 3.8 sounds even better in this one and the PDK is so smooth, handles like a Porsche of course but, I really didn't get to tear into it like I wanted to though [​IMG]. Love the new dash/interior. This one was a show model so it had every extra coming to like $117,000, that's 997 turbo money [​IMG]. All that being said I would wait to get a 991, prices are very inflated right now and 997 is still a beast.

Which model are you looking at? [​IMG]

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^A white 991 passed me on the highway a week or so ago, the first I'd seen on the road. It looked really great.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Got to disagree with handling like a Porsche on the new 911, it simply doesn't. Had a chance to test drive it again this past weekend and the new electric assist steering pretty much got rid of what made 911s unique. So I highly suggest getting a 997 instead of the new 991 if you want that signature Porsche steering feel.

11. Kuki

Kuki Senior member

Yeah, I see what you're saying, like I said I couldn't really dig into it on any twisties. I agree on the 997 though.

12. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

the 991 is bigger than the 997; does it feel that way?

13. Hannerhan

Hannerhan Senior member

I'd prefer something like an 08 or 09 997 S Coupe with 6 speed. I know it's the same with lots of 911 lovers, but I have wanted one for so long. I remember going to the local Porsche dealer when the 993's came out, and gawking until the people finally got annoyed (as would be expected since I was 16 at the time), and leaving with every catalogue they had on it. Not a fan of the 996, but love the 997.

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

Get the PDK, trust me. Test drive it and you'll know why, no other automatic trans compares.

W/o whipping the car around, it's hard to tell. The interior certainly looks and feels bigger but the way it drives, it's hard to tell unless you drive the old one and new one back to back.

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Rly? because this is a deal killer for me. the Porsche steering is one of the best things about the car. plus I like the 997 looks better than the 991's