1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

I didn’t know that. “He” was was also winning Olympic Gold Medals.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019 at 9:38 AM

2. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Yes, winning the Olympic Decathlon put him on the cover of Wheaties cereal boxes and in their tv commercials in the late 70s and into the 80s.

3. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

Slighty before my time (born 1984).

4. TheFoo

TheFoo THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Did I read correctly that a bunch of you guys are advocating for MORE white/black and grey/silver cars??? Jeezus. I leave the thread for a few days . . .

I don’t mind white or grey or silver on an intrinsic level. Silver, in particular, can be a great way to highlight form. Works especially well on something like the McLaren F1, because of the strakes, deep curves, negative spaces, and sharp lines. But there is also no question that these not-a-color paint colors have also become the safe and/or lazy choice. I’d be happy if up to 20 percent of cars were some sort of grey or silver. But beyond that? Things get quite dreary.

Also, there are certain cars (like the F1), where loud Skittles colors are uniquely suitable. I love Miami Blue on my GT3–but it would look ridiculous on a Camry or E-class. If you have a racy sports car, I almost think it is your moral obligation to pick a crazy color. Otherwise, wasted opportunity and all that.

And black? Sorry, looks like shit 99% of the time on 99% of cars. I think people imagine black has a certain coolness and mysterious allure, but, in practice, it obscures all surface detail and always looks dirty and scratched up. Leave black to hearses and government cars, please.

5. bawlin

bawlin Distinguished Member

Black looks great on the right car. The 2RS is the right car:

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 10.48.54 PM.png

Nothing wrong with white either:

[​IMG]

However, now that I own a 1 of 1 PTS car, I'm beginning to appreciate owning something unique and I'm not sure I'll be able to join the plebs with their standard colours like Miami when the time comes to trade in for the new model.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019 at 10:59 PM