1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

I know exactly what kind of exhaust you’re referring to here. We had a California Demo with a Tubi exhaust that was being driven by the GM. It was so uncomfortably loud for daily commuting, he gladly swapped it for a Range Rover the next day. He was right, it was turned up to 11 the whole time (I.E. no baffles)

2. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

I think better to have minivan w/ some phone books in the back, no? :confused2: Seriously, I find our MDX fun to drive - good pickup, handling, etc., very different than the minivans I've driven. I'd go so far as to say there is an objective difference between the two.

3. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

Dude, loud pipes save lives! - everyone knows that. Actually I only mentioned the bikes b/c :foo: (I think:confused2:) lives down the street from the NYC Angels clubhouse. It's not like a whole pack of them take off down Broadway, but there are often 2 or three riding together, setting off car alarms as they roar down the street. I know they don't care what other people think - I just find it amusing that :foo: has adopted their outlaw worldview as he tootles along in his new toy.

4. Kappelan

Kappelan Distinguished Member

One of the nicest minivans I drove was Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid. With great torque and pretty good handling. Quite and with nice interior. But the top of the line version was expensive.

5. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

To be clear, I'm not talking about a motorcycle gang but mostly kids on mostly dirtbikes with some four wheelers thrown in. No licenses or insurance.

This kid of shit:

lefty

6. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Yes, I knew a guy who had a F355, and it either had a Tubi or Capristo exhaust that was so loud, it was almost painful if anyone was in the car for an hour or more. He ended up offering it as a free swap to anyone who would trade them his stock exhaust.

7. TheFoo

TheFoo THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Isn't there something to be said for an objective benchmark that measures vehicle dynamics and effectiveness? You can get a Dodge Demon for $85K with 840 horsepower. But it is a one-trick pony. A Porsche or Ferrrari or Lamborghini costing multiples more and making less power out to be more effective in use.

There is certainly the problem of track performance becoming an increasingly worse proxy for on-the-road experience, but I think it remains the best way of holding manufacturers to the task of making more effective performance cars, not just ones that put up big horsepower numbers on paper.

My issue with the "it's a GT car" argument is that GT cars, being ones meant to be enjoyed on long journeys over public roads, simply do not need the 812 Superfast's sort of power. There is no street or road in the world where you can make use of it. The car's extra cost and ability only make sense as measured by track performance.

Hold on, there is no need to speculate. Manufacturers are quite transparent about any mods they make for 'Ring record attempts. The tires used on Porsche's 911s (GT3, GT3RS, and GT2RS) are stock Michelin Sport Cup 2s. The only mods are for driver safety: race seats, racing harnesses, and roll cage.

While you are right that tires have had the biggest impact on quicker track times over the past few years, it is also true that these tires are generally available to all manufacturers. Sport Cup 2s and Trofeo Rs are all over the place. It's not like one manufacturer or another is gaming the system with an unfair tire advantage.

As for the Manthey car: keep in mind the regular GT2RS held the 'Ring record until the Lambo beat it. Also, Manthey is Porsche-owned and their de facto factory team. Any GT2RS owner can buy the Manthey kit used for the absolute record. One of my friends is doing just that.

Frankly, I think it's kind of silly to suggest Ferrari doesn't care about 'Ring times. They develop on the 'Ring, not just at Fiorano--and the former is the benchmark track for the whole industry. Even regular family sedans have development time on the Nurburgring since it's become such a standard test for vehicle dynamics. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Ferrari quite infamously attempt a record around the 'Ring using the LaFerrari and then go radio silent? Both the 918 Spyder and P1 posted times.

Also, worth keeping in mind that Ferrari and Porsche continue to differ in one very critical respect: the former is focused on Formula 1 and the latter is focused on endurance racing. Porsche doesn't touch Formula 1 and Ferrari does not do well in endurance racing. Yet, endurance racing in the GT classes is far more relevant to street car development. Everybody wants a durable engine and chassis that can take abuse. Also, GT class cars are very closely based on the street cars sold to the public. F1 cars might as well be spaceships.

So, while Ferrari certainly does utilize lessons learned from F1 to develop their road cars, the technology does not transfer as directly. Ferrari road cars are not based on their race cars or vice versa. It's more that one helps fund the other.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019

8. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

You guys are going to have to forgive me for this insanely dumb question, but after spending well over a year and over 2,000 posts on one single thread (Filson Bag Thread), I have always wondered who @TheFoo was and why he had is own emoji. After spending some time on here and conversing with him....I still have no idea who he is..Batman?...Kim Jong Un?...or just some lawyer guy with a huge fan following on Styleforum? :lol: in a way I guess I am sort of "Foo-Like" at the Filson thread, as I post a lot and in a very exhaustive tone (or so I am told).

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/filson-bag-thread-with-pictures.133759/

9. TheFoo

Not a lawyer, thank god.

Maybe part Batman, part Kim Jong Un.

I don't think they call what I have "fans."

When I don't post in an "exhaustive" tone, I am accused of being dismissive, terse, rude, non-responsive, elitist, etc. So, I snark or essay-write as pleases me.

10. TheFoo

Since I don't know where the Hells Angels clubhouse is, I cannot confirm or deny my proximity--but thank you for potentially telling people where I live.

And by the way: how and why the fuck do you know where I live???

A horde of motorcycles is exponentially louder than my dinky little 911.

11. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

And you say you don’t have fans...

12. A Y

A Y Distinguished Member

A lot of those dirt bikes are two-stroke engines, which are not legal for road use, and they sound terrible too.

That's how I got the exhaust for my car: the exhaust drones at freeway speeds and the previous owner had an automatic transmission so he couldn't modulate the throttle to reduce the drone. Our shared mechanic made me an offer for the exhaust I couldn't refuse ... That said, it's very loud (but still legal at Laguna Seca, so it's not above whatever strict limit they use), and if I know I'm going to be coming home late, I take the car with the quiet, stock exhaust instead.

I've been behind an S54 Z3 M Coupe with straight pipes and possibly also race headers, and when he revved his engine, you couldn't really talk to your passenger anymore.

The main problem with Harleys is that the engine sound is really nasty and not appealing at all, and then the owners put straight pipes on the bikes and make it worse.

13. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

Foo is a styleforum OG with lots of great posts. The green Hermes breast wallet, 11 bespoke commissions, 5 pairs of the same shoe are just a few. Now he contributed peak 911 and Patek Calatrava.

14. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

What exhaust is it? You have an E46, no? At least i happened to notice you posted one while searching for something the other day, although the post was from like a decade ago

15. VaderDave

VaderDave Distinguished Member

Foo: you're not a lawyer? Did you used to be one? If not, I wonder where I got that impression.

EDIT: nevermind. Looks like you're an investment banker but got a JD at University of Chicago in 2008.

16. TheFoo

This is both extremely reductive and extremely accurate. I'm gradually realizing I might just be a semi-advanced computer algorithm. Or a virus. Still working on figuring it out.