1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

Says the guy who drives one :rolleyes2: Have you ever been out w/ your kid when the Hells Angles decide to go for a ride? Maybe those Harleys are sweet music to your automotive appreciative ears, but for most people the roar of an unmuffled engine in close proximity rates a lot higher than a minor distraction or irritation

2. gnatty8

gnatty8 Distinguished Member

Yeah, I have to say, whenever my ears are subjected to this assault, my teeth instinctively grit and I snicker to myself until the noise passes.. to each their own though, it's a fairly minor irritant in the grand scheme of things and I find people who let their animals shit and piss on sidewalks to be far more objectionable..

3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Stylish Dinosaur

False equivalence though!

4. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

I live on a street that's a favourite of the small cycle/dirt bike/ATV asshole crowd.

Equally annoying is some fuckhead in an overly loud sports car on a city street not giving a shit about the noise effect on other people.

lefty

5. steveoffice

steveoffice Distinguished Member

fair point. e wagon and then getting a sportier car for me would be nice if were to get out of the city.

6. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Speaking of self cars. have you seen the Honda S660?

7. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

As someone who loves sports cars, and appreciates a car that sounds great...there is definitely such a thing as too loud. On longer trips I don't enjoy being in insanely loud cars. I also like being able to turn the sound of the exhaust sound down on some modern factory exhaust systems (like Porsche's PSE or MB's Sport exhaust) and being able to enjoy music that isn't being drowned out by the exhaust.

In addition, one older guy (in his 60's) who we see at a lot of Porsche meets, and who used to track cars now regrets all the insanely loud exhausts he used and was exposed to over the years (along with loud music), as he has substantial hearing loss. He now wears hearing aids and even those are of limited success to him these days. So there is such a thing as too loud.

8. Kappelan

Kappelan Distinguished Member

Well, with two little kids I am finding SUV more wise vehicle choice than any sedan or sports car. Especially if you travelling, skiing, camping...

9. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

If it's too loud you're too old.

10. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Or if its not too loud, you may already have sustained permanent hearing loss :wink:

11. VaderDave

VaderDave Distinguished Member

I appreciate the extra height of SUVs or (some) crossovers. When our kids were young, it was nice to lift them straight across into their car seats instead of having to stoop down to get them buckled in.

12. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

Something tells me you don’t ride motorcycles. Harley’s and Sportbikes for the most part rev their engines for safety reasons. Stock horns aren’t loud enough so they usually have aftermarket exhausts installed to let those around them know they’re there. Harley’s usually don’t have to upgrade their exhausts but that is mostly the case why they rev their engines. Porsche’s need not apply as how can anyone miss a Miami Blue GT3 ;)

13. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

I have no idea what’s road legal or not but i’m surprised some of these guys didn’t get pull over...

14. OtterMeanGreen

OtterMeanGreen Distinguished Member

Lol Are you quoting the movie “Airheads” or is that an old quote?

E1C2E443-A8F8-49D5-B00F-236E83971C7C.gif

15. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

I believe it was Ted Nugent who popularized the phrase.
    I actually agree with you. There is too loud, and I wouldn't want to be in such a car for a long drive or even daily commuting.