Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. A Y

A Y Senior member

The engineered drops, like you get with Eibach or H&R springs are fine. The slammed drops where someone just screws down their spring perches as low as they will go are just plain stupid, not only in looks but also functionality. When someone shows me how their roll centers, camber rate, and other suspension variables are improved or changed by a drop, and how that was determined by methodical, incremental testing by a driver who can consistently drive a lap within a margin of error of 0.1 seconds, then we'll talk.

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

This is true. You'd think the M3s $60k price tag would stop a few people but at times, it seems like I can't go a few blocks w/o a damn M3. I'm glad the Z4 is still pretty rare around here, I think I've seen a total of 2 ever since it came out in 2009.

But Jet, go big or go home. ZR1 > _____

3. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Looks like you'll be talking to yourself because I don't think too many people here give a shit about this stuff. I take it Fast & Furious is still your favourite movie?

4. A Y

A Y Senior member

Wow, you really put me in my place. Good job! :fonz:

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Lulz. AY's approach is the antithesis of the Fast & Furious approach.

6. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I was thinking the same thing...more Gran Turismo (video game) than Fast and the Furious.

7. dah328

dah328 Senior member

That's certainly more plausible. The whole F&F thing is pretty bizarre. It's all about changing your car's appearance to conform to an aesthetic based loosely on that of a road race car with its very lowered suspension, large air dams and wings, ground effects, etc. A further irony is that to whatever degree actual performance is a criterion for the F&F crowd, it's straight-line drag performance for which many of the attributes of a road race car are either entirely irrelevant or even detrimental.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

8. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

dude, even road race nerds are as bad about that - look at Arthur PE's posts, he is basing everything on Nurburgring Nordschleife lap times. Who the fuck in America drives the Nurburgring? Give me a break.

9. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

There are track days at, you know, race tracks. The performance at the ring will more readily translate to a track than say 1/4 mile, 0-60 , skid pad results, or whatever other numbers manufacturers spout. Then again, hardly anyone in the general population would actually go to a track day so the point is kinda moot.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

10. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

You sound like James May of Top Gear.

In my opinion if drive on low profile tyres profile 35 or less the space between top of wheel arch and the tyre should be one or two fingers width.

Having the wheel and tyre inside the arch makes it undrivable and stupid looking and to much air, just makes it look likes it's afraid of the ground.

11. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

That's it, I'm getting hydraulics so I can adjust the height on the spot. Make it jump over potholes.

12. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I don't disagree. Those are the guys that set up their street cars with race suspensions that rattle the fillings out of their teeth during their commutes to work. The thing they have over the F&F crowd is that those mods may actually improve performance in a track environment while the F&F mods are largely detrimental to performance in any environment.

13. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

14. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

exactly
    it's a system: and an M3/RS4/997 is already tuned and lowering/stiffening is a compromise, just a bit more performace at the sacrifice of a little comfort
    but mostly it's 'looks' or optiks techniks

15. Arthur PE

Arthur PE Senior member

he's one of the few making sense
    you would be one of the others