• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
who's we? the ricer brigade?
if you saw '*****' it would be for the first time
we call peopl who slam and tuck cars until they handle poorly and ride like crap morons
and by we, I mean anyone who knows anything about cars...that would exclude you

I bet you've been dropped like a ***** more than once 'bro'
Rfx if I were you I'd just stick to stock height there is nothing worse than a ***** drop as we call it like the rs4 above.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

BMW's free maintenance is the absolute minimum to make sure the car is safe and doesn't fall apart. It isn't a great plan if you plan to keep the car for longer than 4 years or 100k miles. You should halve all their intervals if you plan to keep the car, as well as do some things they say is "lifetime," like changing diff and transmission fluids, and the fuel filter.
Porsche maintenance is mostly more expensive for parts, but their parts are significantly more expensive. Some of that is the Porsche tax (due in some part to their lower volumes --- the Cayman aero kit which consists of perhaps 6 linear-feet of skinny plastic is over $3000) --- while some others are due to use of higher-performance parts, eg. the multi-piston brake parts all Porsches use is more expensive than the floating piston brake parts most BMWs use.

yes to both comments. BMW will only pay for oil changes every 12-15,000 miles or so. maybe I'm behind the times but I would never wait that long...I don't daily drive my BMW so 15k is like 2 years between changes (iirc they will do it every year if you ask them, but just trying to prove a point here).

as for Porsche, they are super reliable yes, but maintenance is really expensive. my last service was a bit over $1500 for replacing rear brake pads, brake system service, flush and fill with racing fluid. I have the PCCB's so I'm not sure if the normal steel brakes would cost less

andrewgreg

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

do you like lifted ones? if you do I can throw up some pics of my buddy's F150 with a lift and chunky ass tires. It's pretty badass and the exhaust makes it sound MEEEAAAANN.

don't like it too high, but I can always see these. My buddy has a ford f-150 which I can drive if I want. :D

yeah, pics would be nice i still want to see

Last edited:

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even if BMWs free maintenance program is the minimum upkeep to the vehicle, it is still a good deal considering you have to pay for every maintenance from other cars. It's not like it is an extra charge on top of the vehicles price either, it is good for consumers to be informed of these stuff though but overall, free minimum maintenance > no free maintenance.

Arthur PE

Reaction score
BMW will change oil based on their interval counter, basically avg mpg x 666 gal of fuel, I think max is 15k
so if you avg 20 mpg interval ~ 666 x 20 ~ 13300 miles, if driven hard and 15 mpg ~ 10k miles, so the range 12-15 is a good estimate

one thing to consider is the duty service of the vehicle: if a car is driven on the highway for a commute and runs at least a 1/2 hour each way (oil get good and hot, cleans internals and evaporates all moisture/fuel) 13k may not be so bad...if urban stop and go driving, not so good...
BMW's have a large oil capacity (my e46 M3 took 8 qts for a 200 ci engine, RS4 takes 9.5!)) and have a very good cartridge filtration system, pretty sure most have oil coolers also...so oil stays cool, is kept clean and dilution is lower due to volume

I'm no tree hugger but extending oil changes from say 5k to 15k saves a ton of oil and filters in landfills, having said that I do 7k in my RS4 (Audi has a fixed interval of 10k) and did 8-9k in my M3, when I pulled the valve covers to adjust the valve lash (unique to the M3 ~25k interval) the valve train was spotless, no sludge, build-up, etc., nice and clean, no wear or marring on the components

the issue I have with BMW's schedule is the 'lifetime' ****** and gearbox fluids, I do mine at 50k or so
yes to both comments. BMW will only pay for oil changes every 12-15,000 miles or so. maybe I'm behind the times but I would never wait that long...I don't daily drive my BMW so 15k is like 2 years between changes (iirc they will do it every year if you ask them, but just trying to prove a point here).
as for Porsche, they are super reliable yes, but maintenance is really expensive. my last service was a bit over $1500 for replacing rear brake pads, brake system service, flush and fill with racing fluid. I have the PCCB's so I'm not sure if the normal steel brakes would cost less

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I ******* love them. hands down best-designed car in that price range/class.

Sure - if you're into boats. The A5/S5 is just way too big... I would most certainly take an M3 over it and most likely a used 997. **** I've been on such a Porsche kick lately. I would love a 993 C2S but I think if I was in the position to spend that kind of cash on a weekend car I would probably ***** out and get a 997.

$(KGrHqEOKkUE3rF5q2D7BN8T40bCI!~~_4.JPG

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
M3s are far more expensive, and like I said I don't really want to do the BMW route (although I do like M3s very much). Also, why would I ever think about a porsche even used? As has been previously stated, porsche parts are far more expensive, and a used one would have a higher likelihood of:

A) being out of warranty

B) being soon out of warranty

C) needing parts

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uhh I'm not talking about you. And I fall into the category of people who aren't afraid of well-maintained out-of-warranty cars. I'd rather know the history of my car's previous 40,000 miles or whatever than to roll the dice on a brand new car and not have a clue WTF is going to happen. Not that there's anything wrong with your perspective. The (luxury) used car market needs people like you - it's what makes it soft.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Whoa whoa why has ***** drop guy resorted to attacks? Guess I got under his skin on that one, especially considering how stupid he sounds when my car would hand his rs4 its ass with my suspension set-up vs his "tuv" approved springs :lol:

187, avoid bmws like you said they're a dime a dozen. S5 is nice like a big floaty couch on wheels, drove one awhile back nice car.

Last edited:

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
i know youre being sarcastic, but im not saying bmws arent good, i just hate that every 16 year old will be driving along side me in one. its the go to for mediocre-paid soccer moms and kids from moderately-well off families. there are so many where im from its ridiculous. on my street there are 4 alone, and theres probably only 20-30 houses.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean, it's the same **** in socal. Bmws are hondas here.

I'd probably get a zo6 before anything else short of gt3 money but that's what suits my preferences.

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aesthetically, I prefer a "***** drop" over a slammed car. I'm not a fan of "aftermarket" looking cars anymore. A slight drop to reduce wheel arch gap is all that's needed in my mind. Then again, that would be a on a daily driver, not any kind of serious track car.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The engineered drops, like you get with Eibach or H&R springs are fine. The slammed drops where someone just screws down their spring perches as low as they will go are just plain stupid, not only in looks but also functionality. When someone shows me how their roll centers, camber rate, and other suspension variables are improved or changed by a drop, and how that was determined by methodical, incremental testing by a driver who can consistently drive a lap within a margin of error of 0.1 seconds, then we'll talk.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads