Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

A bit slab sided, the headlights are too small and have too little shape to be considered perfect. Not sure what else I'd choose in that price segment though.

2. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

S% starts at $54k, for that price I'd get what I just got. :lol:
    But at that price range, there are plenty of options. 335i convertible, Cayman, TT RS, E350 Coupe, even an SLK350 is a mini-SL.

If you hate the small headlight of the current A5, then you're going to hate the new ones.
    [​IMG]

3. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Almost Special

the only ones I'd consider competition, in my mind, are the E coupe and the Cayman. But again, I still think the S5 is better designed than both of them (although I have a newfound love for the E class which I used to abhor).

335 convertible is fugly in my eyes ( I hate hardtop convertibles) and the TT isn't my favourite either (p.s I dont think the TT RS is in the same price range as the S5, at least here it isn't. Maybe the regular TT). The SLK is such a girl's car, I'd never even consider that.

4. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Coupe, Cab or SB?

5. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

The TT RS starts at $57k, the S5 starts at $54k, it's close enough.

They also have a 335is coupe option. I think it's one of the best looking cars in BMWs line-up right now.

I feel the same way with the old SLK but the new one is much better.
    [​IMG]

6. oneeightyseven

^^
    fair enough re: TT RS. Didn't realize they were that cheap.

another thing about BMWs I do not like is around here they are a dime a dozen. Where I'm from, you see some A/S5s, but everywhere you go theres like 15 BMWs, and half are coupes. I love the coupe's look, especially with very slight modifications, but I would just hate driving to the grocery store and seeing 6 on the way, and another 10 in the parking lot.

Shit, at my school it seems that there's an international admission standard that anyone coming from China has to have a 335 or M3 coupe (guys) and 330 sedan (girls). I guess I'm a little vein, in that I like the somewhat exclusivity of the A/S5, which is also what draws my appeal to the Cayman. I'd be afraid of the Cayman's maintenance costs though (I haven't looked but the name Porsche alone seems to be super pricey).

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

If you don't want to worry about maintenance, get a BMW, free maintenance for the first 4years/50k miles including brake pads, wipers, etc...

Porsche maintenance isn't the cheap but it won't break your bank and they have been pretty reliable the past decade. Other than the typical oil change, here's the maintenance schedule for the Cayman with dealership pricing, not sure if the price has increased or not.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. oneeightyseven

here the Audi has a similar one (4 years/100,000km). IIRC, they also have an extended warranty for an extra 2-4 years with another 50,000km on it. I'd definitely be getting that.

re: the porsche, it isn't as much as I thought it'd be. I'd probably skip out on the 2 year maintenance package though. Half the stuff outlined there is done when I change tires.

9. A Y

A Y Senior member

BMW's free maintenance is the absolute minimum to make sure the car is safe and doesn't fall apart. It isn't a great plan if you plan to keep the car for longer than 4 years or 100k miles. You should halve all their intervals if you plan to keep the car, as well as do some things they say is "lifetime," like changing diff and transmission fluids, and the fuel filter.

Porsche maintenance is mostly more expensive for parts, but their parts are significantly more expensive. Some of that is the Porsche tax (due in some part to their lower volumes --- the Cayman aero kit which consists of perhaps 6 linear-feet of skinny plastic is over $3000) --- while some others are due to use of higher-performance parts, eg. the multi-piston brake parts all Porsches use is more expensive than the floating piston brake parts most BMWs use.

10. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

$190 for an oil change? I would be doing my own at that point.

~Kurt

11. oneeightyseven

yeah but after the 4 years I wouldn't go to the dealer for oil changes anyway. The most simple thing that ANYBODY can do properly

12. A Y

A Y Senior member

The Cayman oil change uses about $100 in material ($75 for 9 quarts of oil and $25 for the filter). Figure conservatively an hour total to get the car up, drain, and put back together, and $70 of labor is not unreasonable at today's shop rates. I'm not saying $70 isn't worth saving, but the total oil change cost is not unreasonably high.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012

13. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Somehow I prefer the look of that, maybe it was the blocky and uninteresting shape of the older headlights that threw me off...

14. oneeightyseven

do you like lifted ones? if you do I can throw up some pics of my buddy's F150 with a lift and chunky ass tires. It's pretty badass and the exhaust makes it sound MEEEAAAANN.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012