• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That article is written for a crowd that spends 5-10x my car budget, lol. Tax loopholes are great, but even if repealed it’s a delta of low five figures in the range I’m at. I think it’s more the Fed rate hikes and slowing of the stock market that’s gonna cause the downturn
For a normal Porsche just wait. Check out this article by Road Scholars on the market https://roadscholars.com/market-ramblings/

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
42967473165_1f8d11119b_z.jpg

2008 BMW M3
i'm going retro

had 2001 BMW 325i for 15 years...
then leased 2016 BMW 328i for 2 years and 2 months... made a lemon law claim (manual transmission had to be replaced) and got a repurchase and refund
then put the money i got back from the lemon law claim toward a 10 year old M3 out of warranty
Very nice. I had a steel gray one that I sold earlier this year. Be sure to redline often!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That article is written for a crowd that spends 5-10x my car budget, lol. Tax loopholes are great, but even if repealed it’s a delta of low five figures in the range I’m at. I think it’s more the Fed rate hikes and slowing of the stock market that’s gonna cause the downturn

After one finishes with the tax loophole discussion...the last paragraph is says...
"Yes, 99 percent of the classic car market is way off its high of 2015. What is interesting, however, is the top 1 percent is still very solid and these vehicles are highly in demand. ...So get in your cars and enjoy them as they were meant to be driven."

That doesn't merely apply to buyers of $200,000 + cars. It applies to the market as a whole. The rarest top 1 percent of the best condition cars will continue to command top prices. However, larger production run models, are not fetching the prices they did a few years ago. I've followed auction results (and perhaps you do too), but the most recent batch of results from Monterey had several Porsches toward the low end of their estimates, under the estimate, or not meeting the reserve (Yes some very early or rare models did quite well). I think the one car that surprised me is their were 246 Dinos that sold for around 400-500K, when even the coupe version of its big brother the Daytona is down in terms of pricing. That sounds ridiculously high for Dinos.

You mentioned waiting out the Porsche bubble...while the bubble hasn't burst sending theses cars to the prices they were at 8-10 years ago, it seems prices are softening (provided you aren't in the market for a 1965 911 or Carrera GT or a few other very rare cars). Hence Road Scholars's advice is to drive the cars, and not just hold onto them like commodities.

There is a big time Ferrari collector who's "Signature" says something like, "Not driving your Ferrari to keep the miles low, is like not ********** with your girlfriend so she will be more desirable to her next boyfriend."

Hopefully, if prices continue to come down you will be able to add the pre-owned Porsche of your dreams. Cheers!

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
The market for cars seems bloated. with the hype surrounding restored examples at auctions giving more people the idea to buy a shell, dump money in it. and roll the dice. has flooded the market. so of course prices will fall.
you will soon be able to buy a perfect old car, for the price of a perfect new car. fantastic.:D

I was looking at "fancy cars" locally. and found the F360 and 996 Carrera 4 to be pretty good value. when anything else is a blowout.
i think a guy near me has a 355 he wants $50k for. seems not bad. but i'm not ready for that yet. and if i were? hmm. . . :dozingoff: probably not. that's like, ANY car money.

The market. . . it's weird. like the hottest car in Japan is a Fiat Panda. o_O
The "Hipster effect" has Patagonia clad folks buying quirky cars. for top dollar. not top end cars. it's like a secondary market, the hipster car market.

anyhoo. . . . @HRoi do not despair. a spartan/beefed up 6 speed 996 can cure your ills.

@ridethecliche not an EVO. :stirpot:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i just need the 993 widebodies to come down another 20-25%....

and 996's are cheap because they're horrible :fence:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was looking at "fancy cars" locally. and found the F360 and 996 Carrera 4 to be pretty good value. when anything else is a blowout.
i think a guy near me has a 355 he wants $50k for. seems not bad. but i'm not ready for that yet. and if i were? hmm. . . :dozingoff: probably not. that's like, ANY car money.

anyhoo. . . . @HRoi do not despair. a spartan/beefed up 6 speed 996 can cure your ills.

@ridethecliche not an EVO. :stirpot:

I agree with HRoi on the 996...you'd have to pay me to take one.

The 355 is a beautiful car and that 5 valve flat plane crank V8 sounds amazing! But those are maintenance pigs. 308/328s are relatively cheap to maintain in the Fcar world...and even so a major service with timing belts and bearings is pricey (and those engines don't need to come out). I'd hate to add the cost of removing the engine plus other issues. Fear of service costs is something that keeps 355 prices down. A guy on Fchat who owned a Mondial, a 328, a TR and a F40...traded his 328 for the 348, then traded that for a 355. He kept the 355 for a few years but eventually traded it for another 328. He said even relative to his F40, the service bills on the 355 used to keep him up at night. He even posted a few of his service record and bills...and I still remember one for $22,000 (I think it was to replace the valve guides and maybe a cracked header).

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carrera GT seems to be the smart "buy" at the moment. Too bad I'm short $500,000 :/

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats! A friend of mine who has owned numerous BMWs over the years has the same one in gray and he loves it. Did you get a manual or DCT? Wishing you luck and many happy miles with it.
6MT
thank you

Very nice. I had a steel gray one that I sold earlier this year. Be sure to redline often!
i would ... except for the darn gas price keeps going up

what did you replace the e9x m3 with?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
aah yes, i had forgotten (or blocked out?) the memory of filling the tank every 2-3 days...

i had a space gray E90 M3. i posted some pics earlier in this thread but i don't think i have them anymore. replaced it with an M4 GTS.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Didn't you settle on a new car? Where are the pics?
I Did. It was the Audi. a 2003 A6.

wife hated it too much. so i went back to the drawing board. and now?
I am one email away from a decision on the new front runner.

if it can be delivered on budget? done deal.

Last edited:

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
An early 2000’s Audi? You dodged a bullet there. All those crazy false stereotypes you have about all German cars are actually true for those cars
My in-laws have this car (maybe a 2002?:confused2:) and love it - what is wrong with them?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads