• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are folks’ opinions on PPF? Partial vs. full wrap? No wrap? How much of a premium would you pay to hide all the seams?

Full disclosure: I’m already set to do a full wrap (plus paint correction and ceramic coating) on the GT3 at Detailing Dynamics.

Just curious how others are thinking.

I've opticoated my last few cars and love the results. In addition to making them much easier to wash (when I get around to it every 6-9 months or so), it does almost entirely eliminate swirls and has protected my car in an accident. I mentioned this a few months ago but my car was sideswiped by the tires on a lifted Jeep. It looked pretty bad (and was bad enough in a few areas to dent my panels) but I took it to a shop and they were able to get out 100% of the tire ruboff without any damage to my clearcoat. The panel is a bit wavy from the impact damage but still entirely swirl free. Needless to say, I'm a firm believer in the coatings.

I am curious as to the combination of ceramic coating and full wrap. I imagine the extra cost of ceramic coating falls away when you are also getting PPF, but what is the benefit of the coating when the much more protective film is on the outside? Anything that makes it through the PPF will make it through the coating. Is the thought to reduce any potential issues with the removal of the PPF damaging your clearcoat? I didn't think that was an issue nowadays.

I will also concur that automotive paint quality is worse than it used to be. I've heard from the detailer who did my first opticoat (pretty well known guy who has done more Teslas than anyone - and does Tesla's prototypes and show cars, etc.) that Tesla's in particular are poor due to California environmental regs, but in general the move to water-based paint has been a negative for the industry. My beat up old American SUV has more durable paint than any of the cars I've purchased new in the last 10 years. The SUV has no paint chips after 110k+ miles but each of my newer cars has been inflicted with numerous paint chips - even with opticoat installed.

Also, way past the point of diminishing returns here, but it you’re nuts about these things, you’d do it.

Come on, Hroi. Do you really need to include the "if" here? To put things in perspective, Foo is losing sleep over the color of his steering wheel stripe. Imagine dat first paint chip. He should get a full custom wrap for his car and then get a full custom wrap for his custom wrap.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've opticoated my last few cars and love the results. In addition to making them much easier to wash (when I get around to it every 6-9 months or so), it does almost entirely eliminate swirls and has protected my car in an accident. I mentioned this a few months ago but my car was sideswiped by the tires on a lifted Jeep. It looked pretty bad (and was bad enough in a few areas to dent my panels) but I took it to a shop and they were able to get out 100% of the tire ruboff without any damage to my clearcoat. The panel is a bit wavy from the impact damage but still entirely swirl free. Needless to say, I'm a firm believer in the coatings.

I am curious as to the combination of ceramic coating and full wrap. I imagine the extra cost of ceramic coating falls away when you are also getting PPF, but what is the benefit of the coating when the much more protective film is on the outside? Anything that makes it through the PPF will make it through the coating. Is the thought to reduce any potential issues with the removal of the PPF damaging your clearcoat? I didn't think that was an issue nowadays.

I will also concur that automotive paint quality is worse than it used to be. I've heard from the detailer who did my first opticoat (pretty well known guy who has done more Teslas than anyone - and does Tesla's prototypes and show cars, etc.) that Tesla's in particular are poor due to California environmental regs, but in general the move to water-based paint has been a negative for the industry. My beat up old American SUV has more durable paint than any of the cars I've purchased new in the last 10 years. The SUV has no paint chips after 110k+ miles but each of my newer cars has been inflicted with numerous paint chips - even with opticoat installed.

The cost of the ceramic coating isn't that significant relative to the cost of the PPF. IIRC, the ceramic coating is applied over the PPF. Also, applying the ceramic coating means one doesn't have to apply wax or sealant to the car for many years. I believe the only issues with the removal of PPF and damaging the paint, is if a part of the car was repainted and not allowed enough time to properly cure. When the Cayman was about a year or so old, I took a bad stone to hood, and it left a nasty mark in the PPF. I had the PPF on the hood replaced and there was no problem with paint being pulled up or damaging the clear coat. PPF has come a long way since the stories of removing it pulling up paint. My car used whatever the highest quality Xpel was and the literature talks about a release layer or something like that. There are probably more advanced films these days as that was back in 2014.

Yes, a lot of early Tesla's had terrible paint. I guy I know who is a partner in a detail shop, said when they got in some early Teslas, the paint sloughed off the front bumpers during paint correction process. He said it was a huge pain dealing with those cars. Hopefully they have improved?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you still wax over a full wrap PPF? I know people wax over ceramic coatings to get a deeper shine (should be OK as long as you use a pure wax without any cleaning or polishing agents).

Does it look as good as a properly polished and waxed paint job? A full wrap in clear (not changing color or going to a matte finish) seems to me like it would be a bit like putting plastic on your furniture. Sure it protects it...but do you really want a coat of plastic over your pristine paint? I understand putting it on the high damage areas, but in other spots?

On the other hand, I could see a really nice clear layer of plastic working like an even-better clear coat. With high clarity and perfect installation, it would be like an extra clear layer, or a really thick layer of wax.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Another noob question: what wraps are you guys talking about? Are you just talking about the PPF? My mind immediately goes to the terrible looking vinyl wraps.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of course, I'm far too poor for this. If I decide to pay for a car (or really, more like if I decide I want to pay for parking in my building), my thought has been to just do clear PPF on the front and rear bumpers to protect a bit from ****** parallel parkers. Maybe hood too depending on cost and how much other owners report the hood being a problem.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think you would ceramic coat the paint directly, then add the PPF, it doesn't seem to make sense to add the ceramic coat to the PPF. The coatings have gotten much better since they debuted several years back. There were early issues with flashing and uneven applications, but those have been simplified making it easier for the hobbyist to apply. To me there is still something therapeutic about claying, prepping and waxing a car, but time is the key ingredient there, so putting on a coating that will last a few years is the ideal route. Then wash and maintain with some spray coatings.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I would think you would ceramic coat the paint directly, then add the PPF, it doesn't seem to make sense to add the ceramic coat to the PPF. The coatings have gotten much better since they debuted several years back. There were early issues with flashing and uneven applications, but those have been simplified making it easier for the hobbyist to apply. To me there is still something therapeutic about claying, prepping and waxing a car, but time is the key ingredient there, so putting on a coating that will last a few years is the ideal route. Then wash and maintain with some spray coatings.

The ceramic coating goes on top of the PPF. As others have noted, it takes the place of wax, except it lasts much longer.

Don't see what the point would be of doing it under the PPF.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Other than my buddy with the 981 Boxster Spyder, I've only ever seen one other car with a value of well under $500K where the person wrapped all of the painted surfaces. I've more commonly seen that done on cars such as 918s, La Ferrari, Enzos, etc.

I will say, on the Cayman we have PPF on the entire rocker panel and it goes up around the side vent of the rear fenders, but I did get one pain chip about 2 inches above that on the rear fender. The only way to prevent that would have been to have every paint surface covered in PPF. That might be something to consider especially considering how wide the back fenders are of a GT3...they could be prone to getting chipped if they aren't protected.

Dunno--seems like everyone getting a GT3 is doing a full wrap. $10K on a ~$200K car seems like a relatively incremental cost for 100% comprehensive protection.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunno--seems like everyone getting a GT3 is doing a full wrap. $10K on a ~$200K car seems like a relatively incremental cost for 100% comprehensive protection.
So go with the full wrap. No point in trying to save a few $k on a $200k car at that price. I would if I could afford a GT3.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its a personal choice. I know 2 guys with 991 Turbo S and Turbo S Cabriolets...both just did the full front and rockers. One guy already sold his car though for a manual GT3...he tends to change cars every 2-3 years. If you are a stickler for condition do the full wrap. Why compromise ...as I pointed out if you do a partial, with those wide hips on a GT3 you could still get chips on the top sides of the fenders...something I learned with the Cayman.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another noob question: what wraps are you guys talking about? Are you just talking about the PPF? My mind immediately goes to the terrible looking vinyl wraps.

We are talking about PPF which is clear...not those silly colored wraps people do to change colors or having silly patterns on a car. Its to protect the paint from stone chips and light impacts.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it look as good as a properly polished and waxed paint job? A full wrap in clear (not changing color or going to a matte finish) seems to me like it would be a bit like putting plastic on your furniture. Sure it protects it...but do you really want a coat of plastic over your pristine paint? I understand putting it on the high damage areas, but in other spots?

If its a very high quality and installed by pro's with a ceramic coating it is nearly as shiny and clear looking as paint. The new PPFs are far better than the old ones from 5-10 years ago. None of the "Orange peel" that was common in the old stuff.

I've had guys look at my cars and they are shocked to learn they have PPF on them. It's definitely worth the expense for people that are into preserving the factory original paint and keeping a car looking its best.

Reactions: otc

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You correct the paint first, then PPF it, then ceramic coat. All factory paints since I’ve been involved in cars have needed work from day 1. Orange peel on high end German cars was a well known joke in the 90’s, and all these “hand built” RR’s, Astons and Ferraris has notoriously ****** paints, especially when they were still using lacquers and/or single stage paint.

The PPF has to go after the paint correction because who wants to preserve imperfections in film? And the coating has to go over the PPF because PPF won’t stick to the CC

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You correct the paint first, then PPF it, then ceramic coat. All factory paints since I’ve been involved in cars have needed work from day 1. Orange peel on high end German cars was a well known joke in the 90’s, and all these “hand built” RR’s, Astons and Ferraris has notoriously ****** paints, especially when they were still using lacquers and/or single stage paint.

The PPF has to go after the paint correction because who wants to preserve imperfections in film? And the coating has to go over the PPF because PPF won’t stick to the CC
Was gonna say this, but didn't want to dive into the "factory paint sucks" aspect of it especially when dealing with expensive cars. Yes, it is nicer than a honda paint job but it is still machine applied (in most cases).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads