1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

Are E36s decent to drive? People complain about them but I assume being a BMW M car they are at least decent.

2. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

All experiences i have had with the E36 3-series have been positive. from riding in friend's cars, to wrenching on customer cars back in the day. A nimble chassis, simple engineering. and as much aftermarket support as any JDM hero.

you could call the E36 a Hero car. in all iterations.
    because hammering down alleyways, and handbrake turning to acceleration?
    they handle as good as a Corolla. only heavier.

the only thing that steers me away from one is the funky controls.
    or i'd be into a 328 manual. . .

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018

3. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Everything is relative and based on timing. I think you are a bit younger than I am...but back in the early to mid 80s, all of the road tests and reviews in R&T and Car and Driver gave much higher ratings to the Porsche 928, 928S, 944, and 944 Turbo. The demand for 944s was so high when they first came out there was a 2 year waiting list for them and during the first year some dealers were selling them for twice their MSRP making them the same price or more costly than a new 911 coupe. They were considered better cars, but the measure used back then is different than now...yes performance was important, but they strongly considered how enjoyable they were for day to day driving if it was a person's only car. 928s and 944s were more comfortable, had better ergonomics in terms of the interiors, had air conditioning that was ice cold (a huge short coming with air cooled 911s of the past), and had better handling. However, things changed and now people revere the vintage cars of the past for their raw, analog driving experience be it a air cooled 911/930, a Lamborghini Countach, 246 Dino etc....but these are cars that today are rarely daily drivers for most people. Most people that own older cars like those have a more modern daily drivers.

In recently years the largely ignored in the late 90s and early 2000s -928s, 944s, and even 914s seem to have experienced a revival. They aren't for everyone...but that was true even when they were new.

4. Dino944

I think in some other markets the E36 is a great car. Here in the US, we got a sort of watered down version that had different engine with a lot less power...so I think that leads to the E36 being somewhat reasonably priced an not as iconic as some other M3s. It was quick enough for a US car in the 90s, but I'm not sure it will ever be as desirable or as exciting to drive as some other M3 models.

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Stylish Dinosaur

The S2000s do super well with forced induction as well.

6. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

this is a good take on things and i agree. and that's why i think people (or at least me) see 928/944's as less desirable. if you want a good GT car, well the auto industry are still making those, so you get something newer. but they stopped making 'raw, analog' cars some time ago so you have to buy the old ones.

unless of course you're the kid that had this particular car on your bedroom wall. if so, then screw logic, you're getting one.

7. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

my opinion is that the E30's and E36's are the M3's that are the more honest lightweight no-frills sports cars. E46 and up is when they started making them larger and with more luxury features.

the E36 is a great drive all around as long as you're not a power junkie. they're significantly down on power even compared with 2000's family sedans.

8. Dino944

+1

I have friends who fall into 2 categories those wanting and buying the most modern and quickest cars they can afford generally modern Porsches and modern M series cars...and I have friends who want the cars they dreamed about when they were kids...and those guys are buying 930 Turbos, 964s, 3.2 Carreras, e30 M3s, Turbo Esprits, and 308/328/355 Ferraris.

9. ridethecliche

Sounds like you keep pretty good company :D

10. Dino944

Maybe, or perhaps its just proof my friends and I are a bunch of fools who are easily parted from their money...for the right car :wink:

11. culverwood

culverwood Distinguished Member

I "sort of" agree with you. I do not see the 928 or 944 as less desirable than a 911 of the same era. I bought a 70's 928 a couple of years ago. It only showed me how inferior 70's cars were in general to cars of the current era. A 911 of the same era would have been even more under powered.

I think the only reason to buy a classic car is the boyhood dream or to tinker with if it is a simple MG etc. - for me a new Cayman or Vantage would be my choice every time against an old one.

12. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

So, this talk of features. And @ridethecliche s post about never being impressed with the comfort in a Subaru got me thinking.

Why not do a review on my car?
    And explain its features?
    Not just a performance rant. But what it's like to live with.

So here is my car.
    DSC_5861.JPG
    It is a 2000 model Subaru version 6 Sti.
    :300hp, awd, 5-spd manual.
    0-60 mph in 4.6 seconds.

Let's look at the important stuff. The features.
    It has..
    DSC_5844.JPG
    Keyless entry.
    DSC_5866.JPG
    Electric windows, with a lock button for passengers.
    DSC_5829.JPG
    Multiple coin slots, for tollgates, or coffees.
    Also, electric mirrors. That fold in and out. For parking lots. A neat feature.
    DSC_5849.JPG
    Map lights (black thing is the key sensor)
    DSC_5870.JPG
    And a roof light. Note the grab handles, with rear hooks for hanging clothes.
    DSC_5839.JPG
    DSC_5835.JPG
    Embroidered cloth and alcantara Recaro seats.
    DSC_5863.JPG
    Drivers seat has plenty of adjustment. Comfortable.
    DSC_5865.JPG
    Back seats are plenty nice too.
    This car seats 4 adults with leg room.

It has a 6 speaker stereo. Currently a kenwood cd/md unit. (For Rick Astley.)
    Now. To the best feature.
    DSC_5814.JPG
    This cup holder.
    DSC_5815.JPG holds a coffee can.
    DSC_5816.JPG
    A coke bottle.
    DSC_5818.JPG
    A square carton.
    DSC_5820.JPG
    And is strong enough to hold a litre of juice!
    Alright,now for the kicker.
    DSC_5833.JPG
    Look at the vents. In winter it keeps your coffee warm!! Or your drink cold in summer. Just tilt the vent down.
    Genius.
    More features?
    Storage.
    DSC_5832.JPG
    3 glove boxes.?
    DSC_5834.JPG
    This holds cards. Parking tickets or cash money.
    The console? DSC_5845.JPG
    Folds back flat. Into a small table. That holds a burger. And the arrow in the box?
    DSC_5846.JPG
    Opens into another cup holder!
    This is the lunch break food table.
    It also has ample trunk space.

These are my cars features.
    It is a thoroughly modern car. That is easy to live with.
    The combination of performance, comfort,and flexibility makes this my perfect super car.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018

13. Dino944

Wow, very interesting. It looks like Subie's main focus was designing the cup holders! :wink: Jk...but seriously, I've never seen cup holders that could hold so many different things. Interesting review thanks for sharing. I think if I did a review of the 328 it would be on how impractical it is for daily driving. Cheers!

14. jcman311

jcman311 Distinguished Member

You missed the best feature of the car... Left hand drive!

15. ridethecliche

I just don't think there's a comparison to luxury brands in the same era. There's a different between acceptable/nice and notable.

It's also possible that the options are better for Japan at least in that era.