• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I Stand corrected. that is absolutely the best reason to buy a car. -Because you loved it in Gran Turismo.

-I did. :D

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ok. I'm going to actually be constructive. and not just hate on the fanboy fave. The GTR.

Been through this before. But when i came to japan. the world was my oyster, i had a job, money, and someone to help me sign on a car. ANY car i want. but kept to a modest 10k budget. and if you think that is too slim? now yes. then? Some real meat on the bones.

The car i searched for was an FD. but i didn't have the time to search for a Manual. nearly kopped an Auto for 5k. RX8's were still fresh, as were 350Z's. oh how times have changed. epic deals to be had now.
I came within 5 minutes of kopping an N/A Z32 Fairlady Manual. which would have ticked all the boxes. - it is still sitting there. and looking sad. *Screams inside* I Actually looked hard at an R32 GTR. but the $8,800 price tag seemed ludicrous . it was suuuuper clean. cleaner than the two you linked. with less kilometers.

Real talk.
Why am i against the GTR's? Why didn't i buy one at $8,800?
Several reasons.
The 4 wheel drive setup makes them 200KG heavier in the front. not small by any means. that's the same weight as having a pig ratchet strapped to the Bonnet.
The Hi-cas 4 Wheel steering system was supposed to help. but it sucks. and everyone uses the Tomei kit to cancel it. (i did too).
which leaves you with? an unbalanced, under-steering heavyweight that can't handle spirited driving in the twisties. because to make a GTR handle? you need to overcome all the hurdles that it comes stock with.
(Weight x Traction)
There is a lot of hype around the GTR's. But when talking performance? They don't even do well what they were designed to do. - Dominate. well they did.against out dated tech (FRx pushrod V8), for a few years. but the Lancer Evo's 4-7 and Gc8 Sti's 4-6 put them to bed. so hard that they came back with the new GTR, that's how hard they got butthurt.

Did Toyota make a 4WD Supra? No, because it would be stupid. and handle stupid. but Nissan did it anyway.
The Supra is better for being FR. as are the Skylines.
Which is why i bought one. an R33 Gts25T. Type M.

for now, because you are chasing one, here is a cleaner example, i can have a friend ship to you. and you'd only need to wait a year.
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/SKYLINE/700054116330180410001/index.html
but:
This is THE Skyline in Purest form
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/SKYLINE/700070261330180530002/index.html
Fresh paint, super clean, only needs your mods? yes. at 15k
(Would go BBS LM'S or Volk SE37's, to start.and paint the engine bay.before really opening the wallet)
1996 (The year i had)
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/SKYLINE/700060001230170808001/index.html

4door?
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/SKYLINE/700957229730171201001/index.html

Shame you can't get this one.
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/NISSAN/SKYLINE/700060229130171030003/index.html
This is a serious car. and high on the list of Badass.

You guys got screwed. don't keep getting screwed. buy a GTs25t. with balanced,neutral handling, turbo 6 power, awesome shape,in 2- door or 4-door and all the support you could wish for.

For much less than a GTR, enjoy your driving. without the fanboy taxes.
They are ALL going up in value.
if you want FR? Gts25t ,Silvia, or FD.
if you want 4WD? Get An Evo or a Gc8.

The point is, those in the know would put a GTR at the end of the line. ,and shop for their driving style.
All of that is really good input! I totally admit that I’m attracted to the Skyline because of Gran Turismo and the unobtainium factor.

But I’m also looking for a totally different driving experience. The whole big turbo, laggy, AWD experience sounds different and appealing...but of course I’ve only “driven” the damn thing in GT

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If we are talking GT cars, I loved the RUF cars and the Renault Clio. My only annoyance with the game was the sheer number of versions of JDM cars....do we need 35 versions of the GTR, NSX, RX7?

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
All of that is really good input! I totally admit that I’m attracted to the Skyline because of Gran Turismo and the unobtainium factor.

But I’m also looking for a totally different driving experience. The whole big turbo, laggy, AWD experience sounds different and appealing...but of course I’ve only “driven” the damn thing in GT

Thanks, i apologize if i come off as super hater. -They are a good car. but not a great car. there is a fine line.
and i just happen to have the ability to look at them compared to other cars. and to weigh them up. imho. they are seriously flawed. but.
a privateer in one has beat both the Trust/Greddy ,and Blitz teams around Tsukuba in an R32. that dude knows what he's working with. he beat the Trust FRS by 2 seconds. which on a sub 1 minute lap is huge.
so there is creedence to the GTR's.
sadly, the GTS25t's are loved by drifters, and are drying up fast.

Drifters love a good handler straight out the box. and break them. :cloud:

If you are like me. a "point to point" type of guy. ie:tarmac stage.

indulge your eyes. on real "Unobtanium"
This will give you the thrill you talked about. like being a spitball shot out of a pen. 0-60 in 4.6?
and one of the quickest cornering cars in history. that OMFG I'm Gonna die!! sorta fast.
http://www.goo-net-exchange.com/usedcars/SUBARU/IMPREZA/945018052900702250005/index.html
The best part? 4-doors,the wife will allow it. you can do the club/collector reg.and drive it on weekends.

Yes i'm biased. and rightly so. :laugh:

You have money, well, enough i assume. why not invest on research?
come to Japan. i will be your host. and take you to see and try a bunch of "Gran Turismo" Cars. stock and modified. maybe even track laps. then choose a car? :lookaround:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How did I know that the link would be to a Subaru? :lol:

I appreciate the advice and the offers. I’m actually in Japan a decent amount but have never thought to drive cars there. I might see if I can do it next time I’m there...I am still about a year away from buying anyway (unless i can negotiate better terms)

Been looking at those JDM FD3S cars in YouTube videos. They’re impossibly pretty...best looking Japanese car evar?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Looks like BMW is putting out a full sized SUV.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like BMW is putting out a full sized SUV.
An X7/8? Sounds intriguing.
Although the current X5 still offers a diesel engine option, no diesel is planned for the X7 in the United States (other markets will get one); our third powertrain is likely to be a plug-in hybrid (similar to the X5 xDrive40e) but not until the 2020 model year.
Booooo!

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do.
GTA rims in silver or Matt black at 18” would do the trick ;)

Check up what fits and hit the local traders forum, those old 156 gta are being scrapped en masse.

That’s a bloody good idea, I never thought of that.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Great news Gentlemen!

Mrs Vader has officially Recognized that i need a working, reliable car. and soon.

Woohoo! Game on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads