• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw this new Netflix series - The Fastest Car. Garage built shitboxes/rat rods/ sleepers go up against a stock supercar and their owner.

Sounds like something that matches the interests of this group :smarmy:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
I saw this new Netflix series - The Fastest Car. Garage built shitboxes/rat rods/ sleepers go up against a stock supercar and their owner.

Sounds like something that matches the interests of this group :smarmy:

oh, I would Totes be down, if the show gave me money to build with.:violin:
making it a mixed event would be even more fun. -Gymkhana,track day,8th Mile sprint?

But speaking of Lemons races earlier, and the absolute best car for each dollar?
Gentleman, let me present to you, *Drumroll please*

:smarmy:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Random smattering of what's been keeping me up at night...

Porting intake manifold for larger throttle body.
KJIQolS.jpg

Porting wastegate for better boost control and less overboost.
im7F2rc.jpg

Starting to get things together
YvRuknF.jpg

Turbski ish
ZpLXod4.jpg

Pretty down pipe. V bands and 3 inches.
kufNKlg.jpg

-10 AN drain fitting welded onto the block (JB weld over it in case of pin holes)
5mQc48n.jpg

Clutch on
s3sUz9w.jpg

Motor mostly ready to go in. I thought I'd be able to get everything hooked up tonight but there were just too many little things to do. Hoping to finish up the little things here and there over the week and then hopefully be ready for a first start before going back and doing other things...

xXooc37.jpg

I'm going to buy frame rails and cowl braces too, but I'll probably do those a bit down the line. If I keep doing more 'while I'm in there' stuff, this car is going to be on jack stands for the next year.

Of course there were issues:

Flange too big so I had to sand down part of the elbow to get things to mate up properly. That was fine, but I didn't like taking that much material off, even though it's okay since it's a thick cast piece, so I just tried a lock washer which did the trick.

SZOE53O.jpg

KQpNTxj.jpg

And even after bagging all the bolts, I couldn't find things when I needed them. I tossed a junk motor earlier in the year and I'm almost positive I tossed a bunch of my crud out with it too. So... washers to the rescue. It's just the bolts for the starter so whatever...

mzYdCds.jpg

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D95B41B9-5317-481C-A74B-0F8CC0E53B20.jpeg
B87D8E7A-8625-48FA-B1B6-BBF6EA34E276.jpeg
DBEA4087-0F34-4D34-A15B-0AEDC3F74D3E.jpeg

Speaking of cars from the 70’s, I was driving past an Audi dealer in Saturday and saw this on their lot. I haven’t seen one of these in quite a while.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. Did you happen to see how much they wanted for it? I remember a time when you couldn't give one of those away.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. Did you happen to see how much they wanted for it? I remember a time when you couldn't give one of those away.

They want around $17,000, and it has about 88,500. This one has the larger 2 liter 4, but the ugly later bumpers. For a long time these were the "Unloved step children." Interest has picked up quite a bit as some people buy them and then modify them into 914-6 replica/tribute cars (which used a 911 T 6 cylinder engine).

I had a chance to see the ultimate version the 914/8 at the Porsche Museum a few years ago. Only 2 were made, one a test mule used by Ferdinand Piech (VW chairman and the grandson of Porsche's founder) and not registered for road use, and a second one was made and given as a gift to Ferry Porsche for his 60th birthday. The test mule used a 350 hp 908 engine and the road car for Ferry used a detuned 300hp version of that engine. Both of those cars are owned by Porsche.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
iMO, i still don't think they're anything special. sounds like people are looking to capitalize on the Porsche name since vintage 911's are so hot right now

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
iMO, i still don't think they're anything special. sounds like people are looking to capitalize on the Porsche name since vintage 911's are so hot right now

Sure there are people looking to capitalize, but where doesn't that happen...especially when the price leader becomes out of reach for some. 912s weren't anything special...but as prices of early 911s went up...it dragged 912 prices upward. The 914 (if it has at least the 2.0 4 cyl engine) is supposed to be a lot of fun to drive, and it's no where near 911 money.

TBH, I'd take a 914-6 over a 911T (same engine, smaller & lighter car, and mid engine ) and it was made in Zuffenhausen by Porsche. So if one can live without the 911 cache...a 914-6 is a hell of a car. A buddy bought an early 70s 911T kept it for a year because he didn't think much of its performance, doubled his money and bought a stock 964 that he loves driving (when he isn't driving is 2011 Boxster Spyder).

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
914 > WRX Engine? :lurk:

Japanify all the Euro Hoopties. :slayer:

Speaking of Hoopties, since learning i can get a MINT Crown for $100. i have decided to Rat Rod the Barge.
it will now look like it was dredged up from the sea bed. with clean windows/2 piece wheels,and dat tire shine. :cool2:

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Okay, it's only half done.
But you see where this is going..
PSX_20180421_220331.jpg

PSX_20180421_230521.jpg

PSX_20180421_221710.jpg

PSX_20180421_221424.jpg

Going to add blacked out emblems on the trunk. then sand it in places, to even the transitions and let the black metalflake shine through. then re-apply the rusting solution in places. yes, that is real rust.
Glamorous Patina? Anti-Vip? Anti-Stance? you tell me.

so far, in person. people dig it.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads