• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I wasn’t in the market, but things kind of pop up from time to time.

2016 M4 GTS, 1k Miles for $100k

I’ve always had my eye on these cars but for GT3 money? no way i would ever take it over a GT3. But for $100k? I’m intrigued.

Thoughts?

EDIT - new/CPO M4's are still trading in the 80's for well equipped new cars and mid/high 70's for CPO. The GTS has carbon ceramic brakes, and carbon fiber bits, which would bring a normal M4 to the 90's anyway. plus it has the additional hp, the water injection system, and suspension and body parts that are either unobtainable or would have to be procured in the aftermarket.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’ve always had my eye on these cars but for GT3 money? no way i would ever take it over a GT3. But for $100k? I’m intrigued.

Thoughts?

EDIT - new/CPO M4's are still trading in the 80's for well equipped new cars and mid/high 70's for CPO. The GTS has carbon ceramic brakes, and carbon fiber bits, which would bring a normal M4 to the 90's anyway. plus it has the additional hp, the water injection system, and suspension and body parts that are either unobtainable or would have to be procured in the aftermarket.

A neighbor had an M4 GTS for a few months as a daily driver when they first came out. He flipped it when he had a chance, saying he would rather have the money he made than the car and doesn't miss it. I've never had any real interest in one. While it offers performance beyond that of the standard M4, to me its just not a car I'd spend $100K or more on, regardless of its changes relative to a standard M4. To me its limited availability makes it a novelty but that's about it. Another friend traded his standard M4 in last year for a 991.2 S and has never been happier. To him the M4s are nice but just don't provide what a 911 does. However, if you have an itch for one...sometimes the only way to satisfy the itch is to pull the trigger. Good luck with whatever you decide

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
An old man straight up dragged his car along the rear quarter of the Barge.
and the insurance company is going to say a respray is worth more than to replace the car.
not sure what to do about that. :Get another JDM Hooptie?

so i plan to fix The Yellow Monster with new head gaskets,studs, and a new clutch.
still driving the Barge daily while this all goes on.
also looking at suspension.Coilovers,sway bars, and bushings.

- i have half a shed full of parts collected, including a complete set of Dixcel Discs and type M pads. new door seals,new trunk seal, new shift boot, better steering wheel,audio setup with usb/inputs. . . . trust me. it's had a large chunk of money thrown at it. all sitting in boxes.

it has come back from the dead once. now it's time to go 2.0.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Btw this is an addition, not a replacement for the GT3. So I don’t have to choose between the two. I realized belatedly that my including that comparison might confuse. I would, however, trade in an E90 M3 for it.

I’m going to drive it and see. I love the way the M4 looks but didn’t like the first gen. Apparently the LCI, comp package fixed the issues I had with it, and the GTS just improves upon it more. On the flip side, both Chris Harris and Jeremy Clarkson hate it.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and the insurance company is going to say a respray is worth more than to replace the car.
not sure what to do about that. :Get another JDM Hooptie?

so i plan to fix The Yellow Monster with new head gaskets,studs, and a new clutch.
still driving the Barge daily while this all goes on.
also looking at suspension.Coilovers,sway bars, and bushings.

- i have half a shed full of parts collected, including a complete set of Dixcel Discs and type M pads. new door seals,new trunk seal, new shift boot, better steering wheel,audio setup with usb/inputs. . . . trust me. it's had a large chunk of money thrown at it. all sitting in boxes.

Man, I’m really sorry to read this. After you put in all that hard work into it

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Man, I’m really sorry to read this. After you put in all that hard work into it

Thanks @HRoi but the nail in the coffin?
we had snow. i mean not regular snow. 4ft in one day. a day after the car got hit. still pissed off, and having a car that digs holes every time it stops. and you gotta get out and dig it out?
ever changed your clothes in the middle of a street in the middle of a blizzard. because your clothes were soaked through, getting snowed on your top half, bare skin, while your jeans are wet and your shoes are full of water. in below zero temps? i just wanted to leave the car where it was. and walk home wet. that day, i dug at least 5 cars out of snow, helped old ladies, lads in the wrong cars, wimminz in vans.
then had a dude with pictures shaved into his hair, and gold chains (Multiple)in a training suit help me get my own car out. he says "Brotha, that is the wrong car for here" in Japanese. the shoe dropped.

I need MY car back.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still feels pretty weird to me to have this, but I picked it up yesterday. Bizarre having such a big/heavier car (500lbs more) that has so many gizmos and lights everywhere that I can't figure out how to turn off.

No complaints though. I owe my folks a bit of money that I can use the proceeds of the subaru for, but the car has new tires and just had the timing belt etc done. Should be good to go for a while.... unless I trade it with someone lol.

Whqtv7i.jpg

It's not in perfect shape, with some rust in the wheel wells and some clear coat/paint issues, but it feels like a pretty big relief to have a car where I'm not worried about what's going to happen next.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ouch...sorry to hear the Barge got hit. I'm sure that's got to be disappointing after you painted it, purchased wheels for it, etc. Wishing you luck with reviving the Yellow Beast!

Not looking to mess with it. It'll be nice to have a reliable car, especially while the miata gets put back together.

Probably a wise choice. I know you and Vader have had fun working on and modifying your cars, and I know everyone has a different idea of where to put their money and what is fun. However, sometimes I wonder if just having a non-modded, boring as it left the factory car - results in fewer repairs or catastrophic failures. 2 years ago my aunt just gave her grandson her old non modded 2006 Civic which had around 320,000 miles on it and he is still chugging along in it for school and to go to work. Its not exciting, or fast, and it has been serviced religiously, and its still out there on the road. That's just 1 example (oh and her last boring car also had around 300K miles when she got rid of it) but I know several guys with average non modded/non turbo cars that they use as daily drivers especially in the winter and they all have high mileage without much more than basic service. Could also be a function of not exciting, so they also don't push the cars or drive them particularly hard. Anyway, just food for though.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dino, I don't disagree with you at all. If I did anything, it would likely just be wheels and suspension as this car does have 115k on it. Sway bars and endlinks are always nice, but as you said...why bother.

If anything, I'd like to trade this car for something a little less flashy. It is a 12 year old acura, but I feel like a V6 accord or something would be similarly reliable with less costly repairs should anything pop up. I honestly kinda want a newer impreza but I'm a bit scarred after the **** show with my recently sold subaru. The acura is apparently worse on gas than my subaru was haha.

In any event, my parents and I split the cost of new tires and a timing belt job on this car so it should be all set for a while. I hate having to work on the daily so I'm not planning on messing with this one at all.

I have to admit that it's definitely growing on me though haha.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dino, I don't disagree with you at all. If I did anything, it would likely just be wheels and suspension as this car does have 115k on it. Sway bars and endlinks are always nice, but as you said...why bother.

If anything, I'd like to trade this car for something a little less flashy. It is a 12 year old acura, but I feel like a V6 accord or something would be similarly reliable with less costly repairs should anything pop up. I honestly kinda want a newer impreza but I'm a bit scarred after the **** show with my recently sold subaru. The acura is apparently worse on gas than my subaru was haha.

In any event, my parents and I split the cost of new tires and a timing belt job on this car so it should be all set for a while. I hate having to work on the daily so I'm not planning on messing with this one at all.

I have to admit that it's definitely growing on me though haha.

Well, hopefully, your newish to you Acura will provide you with several years of trouble free motoring (with new timing belt and tires it should just be oil changes for a while - knock on wood). A guy in my office had one of those for several years and as far as I know he never had any issues with it.

I don't really think its flashy. Its an Acura that's several years old. Its not the kind of thing that will attract unwanted attention. As for Subies...not sure if your last one was a Turbo model or not. I think the non-turbo models tend to have fewer issues...but the trade off is they aren't exciting to drive. Anyway, congrats on your Acura! :cheers:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mine was an 02 impreza 2.5 TS. It was a naturally aspirated 2.5l engine. Wasn't much of a powerhouse, but it did everything I needed to, went everywhere I needed to, and hauled everything I needed it to.

Hard to go from a compact wagon/hatch to a car where you can't even put the back seats down lol.

Thanks Dino. I'm definitely enjoying it so far!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thoughts?

Versus MSRP, that's a great price. But there's also a reason those are selling so low.

If I were going the M4 route, I'd consider the CS. Understand the GTS is supposed to be the harder core care, but by all accounts it appears to be a mess to drive and only exacerbates some of the power delivery problems of the base car. The CS seems a better thought-out package.

Better yet, which is something I almost did, instead of a $100K used M4, why not a new 911? Carrera T would be a sweet option.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
@Dino944 Thank you sir. it had me rattled.
but things are looking up. i am compiling a shopping list.

it's going to cost about 2k to get it right. including all OEM Engine gaskets, a factory Sti clutch kit,used Recaro SR2 drivers seat,new Endless Brake lines and a few other bits and pieces.
(wrinkle paint, liquids -all Wako's, and maybe suspension)

what i want to say though, for the record.
is that i try to keep this car as "period correct" as possible. Modified is a broad description. that might give the wrong idea.
to the naked eye, this car is 100% stock. which is where the value lies. only when you look closer, you see everything is beefed up.or refreshed. brakes are larger, but not BBK's,with quality/Rare parts used everywhere. there is no chase for power, because i want to keep the original 5spd. it looks, and feels like the year 2000. only crisper. and is still a quick car. a better version of itself everytime.
before winter, i got these uber rare "Syms by Enkei" rims, and Advan Tires.
DSC_0435.JPG

also did $$$ oil change, magnetic filter, new NGK plugs, and sakura /STi pink silicone hoses.

it actually was/is my dream car. and i won't change it's aesthetic. or feel.

I might be a Hoonigan. but my car is Petrolicious. ;)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads