1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

That's where the E63 comes in. By all accounts it's quite something.

2. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

It's a nice car but it wasn't available when we were buying. In addition, its base price is about $40K more than the base price of a C63, and historically the C63 has much higher resale value than the E63 in the long run. Anyway, the wife's car a little less than a year old, so no plans to sell/trade.

3. mafoofan

For what it's worth, difference is more like ~$30K (comparing to the C63S, since the E63 comes in S form only). Also, I think the E63S does not have as much to option-up.

I looked at a C63S coupe, but found that the pricing on desirable builds was always going to exceed $100K.

4. Dino944

Yes, I just built a C63S sedan (we don't like the coupe) and an E63S and the build is about $30K more. Actually, when I looked there are far more options available for the E. Doing a build with the options we would want, I can do a C63S easily for a bit over $85K. If you were at 100K that must be ticking every option available)...and an E63 was over 116K and that was being cautious to keep the options similar to the C63S (for an even comparison). I think one could easily be at $120K for the E63S...and more like $124K if you do carbon ceramic brakes on the E. Again, I would never spend that kind of money on an E63S knowing that in 7-8 years knowing how its resale will plummet to less than that of an C63.

5. Dino944

Tonight I saw an Audi Q5 with its emblem lit up. I don't think it is a factory option (at least not yet), but apparently some Audi drivers want to join the tacky trend... below are a few images that came up when I googled it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I will never order an illuminated grill but the new douche mobile does has the MB star projection thing from the side view mirrors when you open your doors. I think it might be standard on the GLS line up as I know I'd not pay for such a thing. That said it doesn't horrify me the way it seems to horrify some of you, but then again, we all know I'm a pleb.

7. Dino944

The MB star projecting from the side view mirrors when you open the doors is less bothersome to me as its not on all the time and announcing the brand everywhere you go as you drive at night. The light up emblems in the grill are obnoxious.

8. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

9. mafoofan

The idea of an illuminated emblem doesn't bother me so much. Emblems are intrinsically decorative and ornamental. If it is tacky to make your giant Mercedes star glow, is it really that much less tacky to have a giant Mercedes star to begin with? One is showing off and the other is also showing off.

10. jcman311

jcman311 Distinguished Member

Does this discussion remind anyone of the Alf episode where they're all going through the parents stuff (I think it was from their college days) and Alf finds a peace symbol and goes "When did you guys own a Mercedes?"

Probably just me.

11. Dino944

I've never thought of the factory star being tacky when put there by the factory. Perhaps, its just ingrained in my mind as a feature that was always on the SL, SLC/SEC and their replacements for decades. I always thought it looked terrible when people who had a 190, W123 or W124 kept the star at the top of the hood and replaced the factory upright grill with an aftermarket that had a big star in the center...here is an example of a pair of 190s...the one on the left has an extra star added that isn't from the factory.
    [​IMG]

IMHO it just didn't fit the aesthetic. Now with sleeker lines I think the sedans look fine with the big star in the grill. Perhaps its only considered tacky by others when its a luxury brand? I can remember people making fun of the 1st real generation Escalade (the one that wasn't merely a rebadged Suburban), because it had a so called "Dinner plate" size Caddy emblem on the tailgate. Although, for decades Audi has had a relatively large grill badge and it hasn't bothered anyone (myself included). As for grill logos lighting up, it reminds me of the 90s when guys would add neon lights behind the rocker panels of their cars so the ground below the car would glow wherever they drove.

I did notice on my way into work this morning that most modern vehicles have larger emblems. I saw a GMC SUV with a huge GMC logo on the grill. I also noticed a roughly 12-15 year old Toyota Highlander SUV with a relatively small Toyota Logo on the back , and then a few minutes later a new Toyota Corolla, which is a small car, but it had a logo on its trunk that was much larger than that found on the old Highlander. I also saw a Chevy SUV with a very large "Bow Tie" logo. So it seems brands want their logos larger and bolder than before. Even Porsche wants its name on the backs of its vehicles again. Remember there was no "Porsche" name on the back of 997/987 cars...but as of the 991/981...the cars in addition to saying Turbo, Carrera, Boxster, Cayman etc., all say "Porsche." Even if you opt for a factory badge delete (I do because I find it too much writing on the back and I hate cleaning around the letters), it only deletes the words like "Carrera, Boxster, Cayman, etc." it does not delete the lettering that says "Porsche."

If a light up grill emblem makes someone happy, then I guess that is all that matters.

Yes, I remember that show and that episode. One of my high school friends liked that show a lot. There was also an episode where ALF bought a Ferrari.

12. flipstah

flipstah Distinguished Member

Yup.

13. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Stylish Dinosaur

<---- No longer a subaru owner

14. bawlin

bawlin Distinguished Member

<---- As of today a Range Rover Sport TDi owner

15. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Stylish Dinosaur

So that's your flavor of douche mobile, huh?