1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I grew up in the 80's and 90's, so my love for cars as a child and teenager was almost entirely explored through enthusiast magazines (Car & Driver, Road & Track, Motor Trend, etc.). In fact, I've had a Car & Driver subscription since I was 12. By the time video games like Gran Turismo became popular and influential, I was already off to college. It is fascinating to think back on how things have changed over the years.

For me, the 993 Turbo S was a pinnacle dream car simply because it was the quickest and fastest, most powerful, and most expensive 911 at the time. Back then, there was no strong bifurcation between cars for "performance" versus "driving experience," as has evolved since. Today, you can buy a 911 Turbo or a 911 GT3. Both are apex 911s, but each has a distinctly different purpose and ethos. In the time of the 993, however, there was just the Turbo at the top (and the Turbo S at the top of the top). So, what more could one aspire to if he wanted a 911? Had there been something like a 993 GT3, I'm not sure my teenage self would know what to make of it.

After all, turbos back then were exotic and implemented only for performance enhancement. The 959 was turbocharged. As was the F40. The sportiest 300ZX was the turbo. The sportiest Supra was turbocharged. I would never have stopped to think about linear power delivery, throttle response, turbo lag, or reduced red lines. Heck, I don't even remember caring about sound as a standalone metric. If it was powerful, it sounded good to me--whatever that sound happened to be. My Prelude sounded awesome to me simply because I knew it was VTEC and VTEC was cool. I wasn't troubled by the Jekyll-and-Hyde nature of the engine and that it only came alive (abruptly and suddenly) at 5,000 RPM. In fact, that was a feature! It was fucking awesome!

Today, I consider myself extremely lucky to have a manual, naturally aspirated 991.2 GT3 coming my way. In my opinion, there is no new performance car more desirable and it will go down in history as one of the greatest, period. My 12-year-old self would certainly be proud to know he'd get to own and drive the "best" 911 while still in his 30's. But he'd also be scratching his head as to why I didn't go for the Turbo with more power, a space-age dual-clutch transmission, and a superior 0-60 time.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018 at 10:31 AM

2. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

There actually were “GT” versions of the 993. There was definitely a Turbo GT2, and the RS (or was it RSR) was the GT3, I guess, although I am not sure if it was approved for sale in the US.

However, this whole “track car version of a road car” phenomenon is newer than that - of course, coinciding with the rise of the HPDE industry

3. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

As you mentioned, there were GT versions of the 993, but they were not for sale in the US.

4. bawlin

bawlin Distinguished Member

Any Macan owners here? Care to comment about your experience with the car so far?

5. palmer45

palmer45 Member

Sweet list! Gonna stick with my Civic and Wrangler toy. Recently helped a buddy installing new set of tires, fuel wheels and Borla muffler on buddy's Range Rover, made a good difference on sound on that beast. My uncle used to have Muira back in the days, been kicking himself selling it.

6. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

I Don't own a Macan. but can tell you they are slow. ;)

7. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

@HRoi