• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There actually were “GT” versions of the 993. There was definitely a Turbo GT2, and the RS (or was it RSR) was the GT3, I guess, although I am not sure if it was approved for sale in the US.

However, this whole “track car version of a road car” phenomenon is newer than that - of course, coinciding with the rise of the HPDE industry

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There actually were “GT” versions of the 993. There was definitely a Turbo GT2, and the RS (or was it RSR) was the GT3, I guess, although I am not sure if it was approved for sale in the US.

However, this whole “track car version of a road car” phenomenon is newer than that - of course, coinciding with the rise of the HPDE industry

As you mentioned, there were GT versions of the 993, but they were not for sale in the US.

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Macan owners here? Care to comment about your experience with the car so far?

palmer45

Reaction score
My dream garage
Dino 246
1280px-Paris_-_Bonhams_2013_-_Ferrari_Dino_246_GT_Berlinetta_-_1973_-_001.jpg

Muira
MiuraP400S1968Fro.jpg

Bentley Brooklands
2008_Bentley_Brooklands_Coupe_NY.jpg

Range Rover Sport
1920px-2016_Land_Rover_Range_Rover_Sport_%28L494_MY16.5%29_HSE_SDV6_wagon_%282017-01-22%29_01.jpg

Tesla Roadster
DO1jkqhXkAAjBy2.jpg

Sweet list! Gonna stick with my Civic and Wrangler toy. Recently helped a buddy installing new set of tires, fuel wheels and Borla muffler on buddy's Range Rover, made a good difference on sound on that beast. My uncle used to have Muira back in the days, been kicking himself selling it.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Macan owners here? Care to comment about your experience with the car so far?

2 of my friends own Macan Turbos, and they love them. One of the owners has new Porsches and vintage Porsches and he said his Turbo Macan is one of the best daily drivers he has ever owned. Just be sure to get the sport chrono option, which gives you sport plus mode which remaps throttle response and a hard redline cutoff (without it most of the cars cut fuel supply I think 500 RPM sooner).

I Don't own a Macan. but can tell you they are slow. ;)
Edit...Just noticed the winking emoji...so maybe you're joking?...but if if not, well if speaking about the base model, yes a bit on the slow side for a Porsche. However, the S & GTS are far from slow reaching 60 mph in 4.7 seconds and the Turbo Macan can hit 60 in 3.7 seconds. I've driven and riden in them and as far as SUVs go (and I'm not really into SUVs) they are among the most fun I've experienced in an SUV.

Last edited:

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 of my friends own Macan Turbos, and they love them. One of the owners has new Porsches and vintage Porsches and he said his Turbo Macan is one of the best daily drivers he has ever owned. Just be sure to get the sport chrono option, which gives you sport plus mode which remaps throttle response and a hard redline cutoff (without it most of the cars cut fuel supply I think 500 RPM sooner).

Good to know! I hate SC in my car, but it certainly serves a purpose in PDK and Turbo cars.

Does anyone have experience with the GLC43? Seems like the value proposition is a bit stronger with that car than the Macan (I managed to spec an S to over $100k CAD). F Pace is out of the question. Not interested in the Velar. Anything else I'm missing?

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife owns the Macan Turbo. It’s the best crossover on the market and it’s not close. But clearly that’s my opinion because we bought it over the others. The only drawback is that it’s one of the most expensive.

I helped my friend buy a base Macan and it’s also great but slow compared to the Turbo, and I’d rather save my pennies for a Turbo. The power diff from a base Macan might be too big vs your GT3. With me, there’s not much of a drop off in daily driving, from the GT3 to the Macan Turbo.

We looked at the GLC (I think it was called something different a year ago). It’s more of a car than an SUV, and the interior looked cheap compared to the Porsche. I also hated the power delivery - too peaky. The Porsche still has a touch of turbo lag under 3000, but is much more linear.

I don’t want to write a novel, but lmk if you have specific questions and i’ll answer

bawlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t want to write a novel, but lmk if you have specific questions and i’ll answer

Appreciate the feedback. Did you consider the GTS (or even S)? Buying this for my girlfriend, so I could even get away with a base model, however I will be the one who ends up driving it most of the time which is why I would like a decent trim level. The price disparity between the GTS and Turbo (~$30k) is a little more than I'm willing to stomach.

Audi SQ5?

I hate Audi. Always have. Always will. Replacing a 2011 S4 and couldn't be happier at the mere thought of never having to see or drive that thing again. With that said, I've only heard good things about the SQ5 :/

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GTS is awesome, and honestly, the sweet spot of the lineup. It looks better than the turbo (stock v stock), and the stuff you get standard over the S is stuff that you want anyway (eg sport exhaust, GTS interior package). That is the trim I recommend, even though I went with the higher power of the Turbo. Also, I bought the Turbo off the lot on the last fiscal day of 2016, and they gave me a stupid deal - something like $15k off msrp iirc

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Think the one i beat was a Gts (same stock 0-60,i'm not stock)

it looked nice enough. and was a quick grocery getter. i mean, if it's for your lady, and you might have to drive it? could be worse. :cool2:

Sad Subaru doesn't make Bonkers 6spd,Turbo Sti Forresters anymore. if they kept going, they'd still be quick. and cheaper. sigh.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to know! I hate SC in my car, but it certainly serves a purpose in PDK and Turbo cars.

Does anyone have experience with the GLC43? Seems like the value proposition is a bit stronger with that car than the Macan (I managed to spec an S to over $100k CAD). F Pace is out of the question. Not interested in the Velar. Anything else I'm missing?

Haven't driven a GLC43. However, went and test drove the next model up in size, the GLE43, and I liked it a lot and so did my friends. They thought the GLE43 was fun to drive and a bit nicer inside. It isn't as quick as the Macan Turbo (as its bigger and heavier). I believe the GLC43 is more like a Macan GTS in terms of performance and size. As for the interiors, to me the Macan and Cayenne interiors have always been ok, but I prefer the interior of the MBs to that of the Macan. However, that's subjective. Part of the reason one friend went with a Macan Turbo was dealer had one last 2017 Turbo in stock this past November, and we were able to negotiate a very large discount. It made this $92K Turbo quite a bit less than the price of a new well equipped 2018 GLE43, which I think had a sticker of around $84K. The MB dealer wasn't willing to negotiate much on an 2018 GLE43. That being said, both friends with Turbo Macans are very happy with them.

I've also driven the Macan S and Macan GTS on the road and on a track and they were a lot of fun...just make sure you get them with the sport chrono. Without sport plus, they feel a bit sluggish to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads