1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

Hmmm. . could be. definitely a cool car.

Actually surprised that we all like the 355. that was a random consensus. Peak Ferrari?

@Dino944 's car is dope. and a really interesting look into the mind of the Car guys a decade before us. I guess the 80's was the poster car generation, and we were the Game car Generation. . . :eh:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018 at 1:41 AM

2. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

QUOTE="mafoofan, post: 9175184, member: 9328"]Interesting that the 993 Turbo S is on everyone's list. Peak 911?[/QUOTE]
    Yes.

You’d probably get dissenting votes favoring the RS, but that would be it, I’d think. Unless Singer is considered a 911.

My fave, but prolly not. You’ve got the GTO, F40, GT California...

3. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

It’s a nice day for a cars and coffee...

DA9F9043-9043-4CD9-BB85-434CE818240B.jpeg

4. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

IMHO, yes. The highest performance, final version of a US spec air cooled 911 Turbo. Also the last 911 before Porsche went to the Boxster parts bin. In its day, not much could touch it short of an F40, 959, or an F50, and those were all substantially more expensive.

5. Dino944

Yes.

You’d probably get dissenting votes favoring the RS, but that would be it, I’d think. Unless Singer is considered a 911.

My fave, but prolly not. You’ve got the GTO, F40, GT California...[/QUOTE]

If you are speaking of the 993 RS...I don't believe any of them were US spect cars...might be a great car, but its definitely not a car I new much about until years after it was out of production.

Perhaps...the F355 is the peak of V8 Ferrari production (without getting into million dollar cars)...as it traces its roots to the 308. With the 360, 430, and 458 etc...much like with later 911s we saw much larger, heavier, more complicated cars.

Very nice Euro spec 930 Turbo...although not my favorite color. Still, I could live with it ;)

6. Dino944

Thanks Thrift :)

I would agree completely. :fistbump: My generation was largely a paper goods generation. We had exotic car posters on the walls (the parents were understanding and let me put up the really trashy ones from Spencer's Gifts with girls barely wearing anything, and with silly sayings). In addition, as a teen I had subscriptions to Road & Track, Car and Driver, and Automobile (never really a Motor Trend fan). I would also grab catalogs from any dealer I went to with my parents. I had a huge appetite for car info, and without the internet and dedicated car forums...those were the only ways to get my car fix while growing up. Video game systems were in their infancy when I was a teen (Atari, Intelevision, and Colecovision). The first really great video game systems weren't until I was in grad school, Sony Play Station and then Xbox.

Today, we have great car forums, car magazines have websites, and with things like XBox One X and Forza 7...its so much easier to get your car info fix. Even the Porsche dealer I visited with friends who were buying a Macan Turbo had XBox and Forza 7 with set up for people in the waiting area. Cheers!

7. Thrift Vader

Yes, it was different for us.

My journey goes something like. .
    I Remember walking to school, past dealerships. and seeing the old men tinker with their cars, and gear heads with their cars forever changing. my father wrenched on things, and i would pitch in. doing simple stuff. but it was learning.
    If i saw a car that was different? i wanted to know about it. Classics, land yachts,and? Dem "rice burners".
    I Thought the Z32 300zx was the coolest thing ever.

And then? "Gran Tourismo"
    wait, i could buy cars, test them out, upgrade them,and try all these wheels on them?????? first car is a sub 10k beater from a used lot??? omg omg omg.:bounce2: What is a Nissan Silvia?o_O rabbit hole is an understatement. sat on that game until No.2. and was bitten. there was something to these Japanese cars. the tuning companies,and the culture there. :eh:

Years later, in my early 20's Anime/Manga (Japanese cartoons) had made a leap into western pop culture.
    with "Initial D" being the most recognized. -Also explaining why a mint Corolla hatch is worth as much as a Boxter S. :crazy:
    Initial D was spec based, informative, also character driven. about the driver and their machine. in the mountains northeast of Tokyo.

but "Wangan Midnight" is my poison in this genre. following the story of a lad who buys a haunted car from a scrap yard. and it keeps testing the owners resolve. a known monster. "The Devil Z".

These cartoons had a narrative. there was a reverence. of almost spiritual status.car guys were outsiders, but some within the small world became legend. cars were more than tools. they were entities, with names. and personalities. the cars liked their owners, or didn't. they had Aura's. i shared their sentiment. :satisfied:
    and made the Wangan Highway my home for 6 months. to live the dream.

Since coming here, i have been in and out of all manner of cars. from Ferrari's,Rolls Royces and M3's.to more humble vehicles. haha!, even "Decotora" (Google it);)

But as @Dino944 in a way pointed out. Cars become what their owners imbue them with. in my eyes, they carry it with them. through all owners. gaining "soul?" for lack of a better word.

Learning the trades, wrenching (Seibi) Crash repair (Bankin) and welding (Yohsetsu). has brought on a more tangible. less ethereal angle.- i know what a car is: a sum of parts. from there on is my domain. :wink:

My name is Thrift Vader. and i am a car guy.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018 at 9:09 AM

8. jcman311

jcman311 Distinguished Member

I realize we are a refined forum here, but no shout outs for these as idol cars growing up?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'd also include the F40. I was like 6 years old when that was a poster in every boys room.

9. Thrift Vader

All about the Corvettes.

10. brokencycle

brokencycle Stylish Dinosaur Moderator

My list includes a viper. I always wanted a cuda too.

If we'retalking exotics, the only ones I really listed after were the Lamborghini Murcielago, the Bentley Continental GT, and Aston Martin Vanquish from James Bond.