1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cars We Drive!

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Bert1568, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

wow, that's a wait.no doubt worth it.

but i'm so used to buying the car in front of me. for cash.

2. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

I’ve always found the Lexus dealers to be the nicest to and friendliest. Much better compared to most other brands.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Yeah, I just feel extremely lucky to get an allocation--at MSRP, nonetheless. Dealer mark-ups on configurable builds are running $20K and up. I had to go into a local Porsche dealership and "interview" with the manager to prove I'm local, not a flipper, and a real enthusiast.

Mine will be one of the last off the line. Production ends in December. Quite a dream come true for me. Hard to think of any other production car I'd rather have, regardless of price.

4. mafoofan

Speaking of dream cars . . .

What were yours? Mine in progression:

1. Lamborghini Countach

[​IMG]

No explanation needed, I think. It's obviously a ridiculous car to me now, but when I was 7 . . .

2. Mazda Miata (first gen)

[​IMG]

The first car I realistically wanted for myself. From 6th grade through freshman year of high school, this was the car I saved money for and the one I bugged my parents most about. But then I turned 16 and went for a different, more "serious" Japanese sports car . . .

3. Honda Prelude Type SH

[​IMG]

My first car. Bought new when I was 16. Crystal Blue metallic (like in the pic). Five-speed manual. 205 HP VTEC(!!!) inline-4. One of the coolest cars in the school parking lot (remember, this is the late 90's). In a sea of wannabe, modded Civics, the Prelude was a sophisticated standout. I've owned and loved other cars since, but this one remains the most special to me. Unfortunately, I sold it when I left for college.

4. Porsche 911 (993) Turbo S

[​IMG]

The Prelude was the car I had in high school, but the 993 Turbo S is the one I lusted for. It was the car I fantasized about and imagined owning as a full-fledged adult once I'd "made it". 911s have been a fixation for me ever since, but this apex model was the one that started the obsession.

5. Ferrari F430 Scuderia

[​IMG]

Through college and law school, this was my target car. Up until the recession in '08, I thought it might just be feasible to get one for myself within a few years. Then the crash back down to earth. No other modern Ferrari really interests me. I still scope around for used ones.

6. Lotus Elise

[​IMG]

Another obtainable dream. The plan was to get one upon law school graduation. Everyone else was picking up 3-series and A4s. Eff that. I even test drove a few and got my build all set to go. But then I found out I'd be working in NYC, not DC, which meant no car at all. Obtainable dream quashed.

7. Porsche 911 GT3 (997 through 991)

[​IMG]

Not much more to say about the 991.2 GT3 that I haven't already said. It is very much the ultimate car for me. I am both thrilled and saddened that it is also very much the last of a dying breed. It almost seemed like there was no choice but to buy one. A dream come true at last.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018 at 10:40 AM

5. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

I would wait for the eventual LC-F

6. Thrift Vader

Hmmmm. . My Dream cars, from then until now?

1.Jaguar XJ220
    [​IMG]

2.Alfa Romeo GTV (Shuddup)
    [​IMG]

3.Subaru Impreza Sti VI
    [​IMG]
    Yeah, dream car acquired. had to rescue it from a dump. but i got it. I Blame "Gran Tourismo", and the first time i heard the rumble.

4. Nissan Skyline R33
    [​IMG]
    Just like in the pic, the first car i bought in Japan. Kept it stock. except a Trust Exhaust, and Volk Rims.

5. Porsche 930 "Black Bird".
    [​IMG]
    co-star in the Anime "Wangan Midnight" as the Nemesis car.

6.Lexus LS400/Celsior.
    [​IMG]
    Yes, The Barge was a dream car. for it's potential on paper to be a performance sedan.(Nascar/Touring car style) decent looking too. so i had to have one.

Now? The new LC500.

Notable mentions to the Lancia Delta Integrale, the Autobianchi Abarth,and the Nissan 300zx.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018 at 10:22 AM

7. mafoofan

Interesting list. I remember when kids started showing up at school with the new STi once it came Stateside for the first time. Along with the Integra Type R, definitely the "It" car at the end of the 90's.

My dad had a red 300ZX Turbo in the 80's. That car was a superstar. Nothing was more fun than getting dropped off at school with the T-tops off and all my buddies gawking at the overwhelming coolness.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018 at 10:42 AM

8. mafoofan

Honorable mentions for me, in no particular order:

Honda S2000
    Ford Mustang GT350R
    Mercedes G-wagen
    Porsche Cayman R
    BMW M3 (E46)
    Mercedes-AMG GT-R
    BMW 1M Coupe
    McLaren F1
    BMW Z8
    Lamborghini Sesto Elemento

9. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

I have been on a systematic lifelong quest to acquire all my childhood dream cars, or at least their more modern equivalent.

My favorite car of all time is the 911. Mainly the 930+964+993 turbos, now I own a 997 GT3

E30 BMW M3. Now I own the E90 M3

Toyota MR2 Turbo, ticked that box off in 1993. Crashed it, fixed it, sold it when I went to b-school

Ferrari F355. This one is the last itch left unscratched. Still leery of the maintenance costs but tbh I think I would at least want to own one for a year or two, cost be damned. But I can’t right now because I don’t have the garage space

What amused me about all this was my dad constantly told me, I don’t know why you torture yourself and waste your time dreaming about this unrealistic shit. After I started acquiring the cars, he’d joke around and tell me, see - I knew just the right way to motivate you to work hard in life

10. mafoofan

Congrats on checking all those off your list!

The F355 through F430 are the modern Ferraris that appeal to me most. Lost interest with the 458.

11. Thrift Vader

355 is a contender

Been feelin' on the Z4 recently. cheapest Bond car.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018 at 12:00 PM

12. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

Very interesting list of dream cars. There is a bit of overlap, but I think I'm a bit older than several of you so my dream cars growing up are generally from the 80s and 90s or earlier.

Dream car overlap with a few of you were the Lamborghini Countach, 993 Turbo S, and the Ferrari F355 (which IMHO was the last of the truly beautiful Ferraris. Modern Ferraris are exotic, but from certain angles they can look heavy or not so beautiful).

I have love cars since I was a little kid. My uncle had a few nice cars that he bought brand new a 1972 3.0CS and a 1974 (W116) MB 450SE. Back then BMWs, Porsches, and MBs were a rare sight, and dealers were few and far between. When my parents bought their first BMWs in 1975 (a 2002 and the first 5 series, an e12 530i) the nearest dealer was a 2 hour drive each way.

Anyway, I loved my uncle's 3.0CS. I still think its one of the most beautiful BMW designs.
    That airy green house without a B pillar and the downward slope of the back windshield and trunk :inlove:
    [​IMG]

Also fell hard for the 246GTS Dino after getting a ride in one when I was about 10 years old, it was my first ride in an Italian car.
    [​IMG]

By 5th grade my dream cars were the Lamborghini Countach and the Ferrari Boxer 512BBi. I still have a Car and Driver issue from 1981 covering the Boxer. Back then there were no official US Spec V12 Ferraris and no US spec Lamborghinis. They were all gray market cars that were imported from Europe and Federalized to meet EPA/DOT standards. In addition, Porsche stopped producing a US spec 930 Turbo from 1980-1985.
    [​IMG]

I was also a big fan of the Ferrari 308 as a result of a TV, called starring Tom Selleck and a 308GTS.
    Ferraris were beautiful and magical, and even in big cities if I saw 2 or 3 a year it was a big deal (again they were much rarer back then, and production was much more limited than it is now).

By the time I was in high school, I had experience with Porsches as my parents owned a few. My Dad bought a 3.2 Carrera in 1986, a 928S, and eventually a black on red 1987 930 Turbo (which I got to drive a few times). My mom had a Mercedes and a 944, and luckily when I got my driver's license I got to drive the 944 most of the time.

My somewhat attainable dream car became the 944 Turbo S. It was capable of 0-60 times of 5.5 seconds (which back in the day was only bested by a 930 Turbo, 512 Boxer/Testarossa, a Countach, or an AM V8 Vantage) and a top speed of 162 MPH. I got to drive one once, and it was a fantastic car back in its day.
    [​IMG]

More expensive and less attainable was the 3.2 Carrera which I was also in love with...

[​IMG]

Even less attainable and one of my dream cars was the 930 Turbo Cabriolet.
    [​IMG]

The Testarossa was dramatic, but never really one of my dream cars. The 328GTS and 328GTB came to the US in 1986 and I was in love. Its not as quick as a 930 Turbo, but I love the gated shifter, it sounds wonderful and I love its shape. I'm lucky enough to enjoy owning one and even when the weather sucks, I can just go out to the garage and enjoy looking at it.
    [​IMG]

Fast forward, to the mid 90's I was in grad school I fell in love with the 993 and 993 Turbo S, and the F355 Ferrari which sounds glorious with its 5 valve per cylinder engine.

We considered buying a Lotus Elise and its an absolute blast to drive. Its almost like a slightly more modern version of a 308GTS (not quite as refined as the 328). However, I'm not very tall and each time I test drove it, I pulled a muscle in my neck trying to get in while the roof was in place. I was only 38 at the time, but I didn't imagine that would become more fun as I got older. I didn't want to have to have a chiropractor and a neurologist on speed dial. I know I guy who is around 60 who got one and he has to do about 30 minute of yoga and stretching before he goes for a drive in his.

I have continued to be a big fan of Porsches, but not a fan of how large the current 911s have grown, and the 996 series sort of caused me to lose interest in the idea of owning a modern 911 (Although the 997/991 GT3 and GT2 are amazing vehicles). We currently have a 2014 981 Cayman S, which I like for its more compact size, and because its a great blend of performance and practicality. Drive some of the more hardcore sports cars and they are fun for an hour or 2 tops, but you feel physically worn out because of how raw they are and purpose dedicated they can feel. We've driven the Cayman on long journeys to PCA club events several states away, and in PCA driving events, and you aren't exhausted from driving it. It has plenty of space for luggage for a weekend getaway and its a lot of fun to drive. We wanted the Cayman because we wanted something fun, much more practical and with modern amenities for longer journeys than the 328GTS. I will say ordering the Cayman exactly how we wanted it was a lot of fun. I think now if I could add another dream car it would be some form of air cooled 911. There have been some cool modern cars I've admired over the years, but for the most part my heart is with vintage stuff...perhaps because I also like attending cars shows and its fun to have something that people don't see every day or that they can't see by stopping in at the local dealership.

13. Dino944

Dino944 Distinguished Member

That is quite a wait...but I've heard of longer waits. An acquaintance who had owned lots of sports cars over they years from Japan and Germany decided he wanted a Ferrari. He didn't want a used one, he wanted a brand new one. At one point, some dealers wouldn't even sell you a new unless you already owned an Fcar. Anyway, he put in an order and gave the local dealer a deposit. It took almost 5 years before his car was built, and it took so long that the 360 he placed an order for was discontinued and his car arrived as the next model, a 430.

14. jbarwick

jbarwick Distinguished Member

Hmm dream cars. I joke with a guy at work that if I had $100K to spend on a car, I would never buy something because I would second guess myself on purchases. Some of these cars are over $100K but you get the point. Also I reserve the right to remove cars if I ever end up with the means to buy one and they drive like shit.

1. 993 Turbo - I remember a friend had a calendar and a Yellow 993 Turbo was in some sort of factory with sparks and such in the background. We both loved Porsches and his birthday was February which the Porsche was on and my November birthday was some forgettable car because I forget what it was.

2. Ferrari 355 - The look and the sound do it for me. This video gets bonus points for the yellow 993 turbo:

3. Jaguar XK120/140 - White or black exterior, red interior, convertible. Just something about the look of this car just stuck with me after the movie Cruel Intentions. The lines on the car are just beautiful and the wire wheels just look at home on this car. I honestly think this would be the pick of the list if I had to choose one....unless it drives like complete shit.

4. Porsche 356 - I like the look of the coupe over the convertible on this one. It is one step removed from a Beetle but I love it.

5. BMW 1-Series M - My wife had the 128i which was a decent car that handed well and I can only assume the M package adds everything that was missing.

Honorable mentions: I really loved my GTI though it seemed to be at the dealer for work quite a bit but there is something to love about a bare bones hot hatch with a manual transmission. Not really dream car status. I also have a soft spot for Art Deco style cars. I've never seen one in person but the lines are just crazy and not everyones cup of tea. I love the overly large swoopy fenders. I could list quite a few that would be on my sub-$100K non-dream car list but things I find interesting and like the looks of.